The Short Life Span of Appliances Nowadays

The new normal, for sure

Both @jcostiones and you (@meatn3) have some last long lasting cars. Congratulation. 200,000 miles is quiet a feast even for today’s standard. Corolla, Camry, Civic and Accord are all nice cars which age well. I wish both of yours new cars continue to serve you well. Now, 100,000 is no longer to be bragged about. People used to brag about 100,000.

I loved that Civic. It was a great car. No problems at all* until it hit 15 years. Then it was $500 each time there was an issue and I no longer felt confident taking a long road trip.

*Except for the sideview mirrors. The interior ball joint imploded on each of them within a 2 week period at the 10 year mark.

Yeah, I had a Honda Accord which I really did not take care of. Passed its 13th year, it was getting a little more expensive to fix. Still, I was driving it and hoping to last until 15 years, and next thing I know, it was stolen from me before it reached its 15 years birthday. It was like 14 years something. I was pretty upset. Financially, the insurance actually probably paid me more than I could ever sell the car, but emotionally, I felt hurt and I was upset. A car can be very personal. It does not feel the same as other objects.

1 Like

Good grief … I have spent at least 5 hours this week on the phone with PC Richards and my Appliance company, ninety nine percent of the time was spent listening to PC Richards lie, fabricate stories and throw my appliance guys under the bus … guess what, that got them in deep doo doo. They went from we are issuing you a credit because your machine is not repairable however you will forfeit your extended warranty. “NOPE” to we will give you the remaining 3 years “NOPE” to okay, pick a new machine with new extended warranty … “okay acceptable”
I’ll believe it’s a done deal when I have the credit in my hand, still waiting for that call back.

It helps that DH has worked in a similar industry in an upper management capacity, he understands warranty’s, returns, replacements, self insurance, what is and isn’t cost effective for the seller and of course the bullshit … he is not surprised by what they have tried … Back to the conversation, each time I asked for the corporate phone # which was pretty much every time they would say something (lie) I would be put on hold, each time they came back they upped the offers I referenced above. There was a lot of "did you read your service contract conversation in-between but that stopped when they realized that they slandered my appliance guys and I had email proof … to be continued.

3 Likes

LOL - meanwhile, back at appliances!!!

2 Likes

You are totally correct about that emotional attachment. I have my 1999 Mercedes SL500 2 seater since 2002, and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed many a Sunday afternoon going to yard sales, fresh markets, Happy Hours… I took it off the road 2 years ago and it sits in the garage because the insurance was getting a bit too much, since I was driving it only about 500 miles per year . the car was always my second toy so it never got driven too many miles, It has about 100K miles on it.
My wife passed on more than 6 years ago, and I just cannot bring myself to sell it… (It will have it’s 20th birthday in November of 2018, and it can then be insured as a “collector car” bringing the insurance down to about $300/ year, instead of the $2,400/yr I was paying here in NYC)…

Great strong reliable car and still drives…well like a Mercedes!

2 Likes

:sob:

2 Likes

Short Life Spans…OK I am guilty of steering us off…but now we can get back…
My Thermador wall oven has had two brain boards in the last 8 years @ a cost of $400+… The combination micro/wall oven was about 4K new…I need to get at least another 10 years out of it, before I replace it…I hope so…

PS Thermador told me that the board is too close to the top of the oven compartment and that I should limit the use of the broiler function so as to limit the amount of heat exposure to the board…I asked their service rep. then why did you build the unit with a broiler??? and why can’t the board be relocated in the unit as a fix to the problem… long silence on the phone…I will refer your problem to the engineering dept…yeah right!

7 Likes

Soooooooooooooooooo,
I may have found the way to purchase a refrigerator that makes the most sense, only time will tell, but first the washing machine. We were able to exchange our current disaster with a Maytag washer, that was highly rated by Consumers. A big old non energy efficient agitator machine, don’t care if I have to replace my clothes more often as long as they are clean. I was so sick of watching our stupid LG spend half the cycle “sensing” Puh lease!

DH chose the refrigerator, a highly rated counter depth Frigidaire gallery. He bought the floor model, got a thousand dollars taken off the price and added a 10 year parts and labor warranty. The final cost with the 10 year warranty was still significantly less that the fridge would have been new with no warranty. I was promised that short of throwing rocks at the fridge on a regular basis the warranty would cover everything, and if not fixable will be replaced. Can’t wait for DH’s first meltdown when he fully realizes just how little food fits into a counter depth fridge :rofl:
Will keep you posted :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

So true!!! Although my fridge is very deep and, at 5’2" I can’t reach the stuff in the back!

Pleased as punch to report that my new washing machine actually cleans my clothes … no more smell. I followed the recommended directions, used a small amount of unscented detergent, normal cycle, single rinse for first test load. The clothes came out smelling and looking fresh and clean. They were not nearly as wrinkled as other HE’s I’ve used in the past. I was able to shake out wrinkles. I’m not sure why this model was discontinued it was one of the highest rated agitator machines.
I would be happier had one of the delivery guys not said on his way out " you’ll be replacing it in four years" but that is what extended warranty’s are for. Pretty sure the statement was a general one, and not pertaining to my specific machine. Anyway the only negative so far is that it is on the noisy side where as the machine it replaced was quiet enough that you didn’t know it was on, it also did not clean my clothes. I can live with the strange sounds, as long as my clothes are clean … highly recommend the maytag MVWB865GW

5 Likes

We love the refrigerator so far. At 21.3 cubic ft it actually has more space than the one it replaced. We can get to everything easily. DH said that the freezer is poorly designed and that there will be ice build up. Don’t care with the 10 year warranty and … .he picked it so it’s not my fault :face_with_raised_eyebrow: We were really happy that our favorite local farmer took the old one. Gratuitous pic of Farmer Bill and Sonora, she is only a week old here

5 Likes

They should want to though. I don’t quite understand why something like a toaster or hair dryer is redesigned (literally to death), only to catch on fire and be recalled. You’d think it wouldn’t be worth it to them to risk making it that much cheaper at some point.

Welcome, mushiatsui!!! Nice to have you here at HO!

Thanks, same to you. I think my favorite appliance is a combination of the stove top and the hot tub, because I can dump boiling water in it, and in a way I enjoy cooking myself the most… wait a second, I wouldn’t want that to sound too extreme (my mixed water is only 108°F after all, but they won’t make them go this hot on their own anymore). I think too many drunk people got dehydrated in those things when they used to actually get hot, and so the appliance gave them a shorter life span, as it were. However, the Japanese tend to have longer lifespans, and bathe the most (yet they can be affected by extreme changes in temperature when they get older, so it’s a long story)… I can’t think of another appliance in which people regularly die while using them, but it doesn’t mean their lifespan was short. The end!

1 Like

My new Bosch dishwasher went on the blink one day. Repair guy finds this under the sink. Idiots who install for Famous Tate were obviously not qualified to do any electrical work. Glad we didn’t die in a house fire at night while we were running the dishwasher. Had a talk with the manager who was only concerned with his liability and would only offer an extra year on the warranty

1 Like

Wow. You got very lucky.

Glad you are still here to tell the tale!

So where do you live?..Are licensed electricians supposed to perform electrical work…or can anyone do electrical installations? Was this done by a license professional?
I truly believe licensed professionals should do the work they are ascribed to much like a pharmacist should compound medicine at the direction of the MD… Agreed?

1 Like

Were the “idiots” , educated, trained and licensed?
I think not…