The NJ clam thread

I will get roasted for this, but the whole belly clams I had at Bahrs this past summer were out of this world good. (I’ve always said if you stick to the basics here you’ll likely get a good meal…if a little expensive)
Keyport Fishery does them very well also.

However both places I’d call ahead and make sure of availability. I think the volatile pricing on steamers has a lot of places locally only doing them as specials.

I have nothing on clam strips.

1 Like

I usually make linguine with white clam sauce with canned chopped clams and bottled clam juice because it keeps well in cupboard. The recipe is simple and its ingredients are normally at hand. Last time I bought a bag of middleneck clams at ShopRite 3 dozen for $18. They were steamed and tossed in with liquor minus clam shells into regular recipe. I liked the combination of chewy canned clam with fresh whole clams.

Tom, and others, have you ever tried the Bahrs happy hour? I haven’t but I might try to go before the cold weather sets in.

I need to head over there- been in the mood for that dish for a while…

I have not, unfortunately

My contribution to the clam thread;
The Pour House Grilled Clams, delicious!
Here’s a little shrimp and clams scampi over spaghetti squash I made the other night. (nice small clams 50ct @ Wegmans $14.99)

3 Likes

I saw a documentary about illegal harvesting of giant clams in the South China Sea.

You may have been eating an illegally harvested endangered species.

I have a really hard time believing something so sought after as to be illegally harvested would make it on to an 8$ plate of clam strips at a bar. It’s like saying your local sushi restaurant might be serving you illegal whale meat, or the neighborhood Chinese place is serving illegal shark fin. Illegal food items are expensive. I don’t see how anyone would take the risk to illegally harvest clams to have it end up in fried strips at a pub. Although I would be totally down if someone put out some illegal street meth in an energy drink.

Anyone else remember the Seagull’s Nest on Sandy Hook? Closed a long time ago. Fond memories of eating steamers there as a child with my family.

The Hook needs an actual restaurant again. Their food truck scene SUCKS. Overpriced garbage because they know they have you.

1 Like

besides the parking and the deluge of NYers, that’s one of the main reasons we get to SB over SH- I can literally walk across the street or over a block and have my choice of like 5 places to eat which are all decent to outstanding.

1 Like

God Bless America at sunset. Miss that place a lot

2 Likes

Ah the seagulls nest…some good times and some good homies.

2 Likes

I like your grated cheese game Bob! Looking awesome!

1 Like

That the heck is that crossover doing in the middle of Vette row? Which one is yours? (electric blue third in front row??) My daughters bf just bought a 01 Z06, it’s a complete hard top I can’t contort myself to get in the dam thing. lol

1 Like

I think that was a guys wife who couldn’t deal with the vettes stiff suspension. Yeah mine is the jet stream blue one up front near the yellow ones.

2 Likes

You can appreciate this corvette johnny, Circa 1978, I was 20, she was 26. She had a corvette and needed a “companion” and I fit the bill. Weekend trips to Galveston and meals and fajitas at Ninfa’s before they became wildly popular plus coma inducing Ninfarita’s. Oh yes, she was hot.

Corvettes, clams, crabs, and other things that start with c.

Bahrs buffalo style clams tonight…

4 Likes

That looks so good. What kind of clams are those?

Those are just local NJ clams literally caught right in the river/bay that this restaurant is located on. They were really good. I never thought to make them this way. The blue cheese set these off!

1 Like

Some more NJ clam action…

2 Likes