The Greek Spot, Ocean NJ

Have you had their lamb shank? At $12.95 with a huge side of orzo and a Greek Salad I think it’s the best value meal in Monmouth County. It’s deeelisush…

2 Likes

I have not had a bad dish yet from the G spot, and that includes the lamb shanks. Really nice people too, who speak Greek !

My two nits are that the Greek Salad could contain a nice big feta chunk instead of the crumbles, and pickled peppers (Piperies Mikres Toursi) instead of the big slices of bell pepper. But this is a minor issue.

See…conversely I like the crumbed fetta along with the “chopped” version of the salad. (which by the way is always fresh, never soggy etc.) This is generally because I’m trying to woof it down as quickly as possible to get to my entree.

1 Like

Mostly lurk around here but have taken some suggestions, including the Greek Spot. The Shank was delicious, and a great value. Place I work at has Pork Shank for $29. I don’t think I could buy the ingredients in the huge Greek Salad for $8.
Thanks HO’s!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting!! Always great to have the lurkers join us! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Jesus did you have to post a pic??? I just licked my computer screen!! Dayyyyuuummmm!!! I LOVE that shank!! I’ll be honest, I’ve eaten two of them for dinner once. lol It is the BEST value in Monmouth County if you ask me and it’d delicious!!!

FYI try their lemon chicken and the lemon potatoes too, definitely excellent also.

Oh and lastly stop lurking!! Look you did great !! Post more!! Enjoy!

2 Likes

After my last two take out experiences (Thursday night here & Friday at The Galley) I came to realize I think some small restaurants might actually be benefiting during these times.

The Greek Spot business is 90% take out to begin with, so the dining ban is truly inconsequential to them. Sitting in my car I could see their take out orders lining every table waiting to be picked up. The people never stopped running for car to car hands full of food. I had a similar experience at The Galley last night as well. Might have been the busiest I’ve seen them especially for a Thursday! Needless to say everything was excellent as usual and glad to see in some area’s mom and pop places are surviving if not thriving.

Keep up our support peeps!

7 Likes

So funny–I was JUST thinking about the GSpot this morning, and wondering why they chose to close in Red Bank, where I saw tons of takeout bags each time I was at the restaurant. Perhaps it was just too big in terms of space/costs, but then I thought how happy they must be to have already had the original Spot in place in Ocean! I agree–each time I’ve been there since the quarantine started, they’re BUSY. Happy to see it!

4 Likes

I think you nailed it. My guess is rent is not cheap there.

Bob I think you nailed it. A few of the strong will survive this. It is kind of like a forest fire. The established ones will come out stronger and more weathered…and new growth will eventually come. I hope the silver lining in this pandemic is a new wave of restauranteurs. Maybe some younger and/or more innovative chefs will emerge into the spotlight. I’m tired of boring food and overpriced mediocrity. I dont mind paying top dollar if it is good, and I don’t mind paying low prices if the value is there. Fingers crossed

5 Likes

I think we’re going to see a lot more online functionality baked in from POS, payments, etc from now on. Going fwd I think we’ll also see much more of a focus on takeout/delivery even at higher end places as it opens up a new client base at what I assume is lower overhead. I also wish these spots would be allowed to continue to offer to go/delivery of booze esp due to what they have to pay to get their licenses in the first place.
I think we’ll also see many more operators question the need for large physical spaces on all ends of cuisines -high/low/mid) when they can operate out of a more takeout focused concept with much lower overhead.
I agree that some will thrive in this environment, even less capital enriched outfits. Some chef/owners have been very quick to jump whole hog into the current reality and have made a name for themselves and gained new customers/market share by doing so. Others seem unable to adapt and will probably slip back a bit b/c of it or worse. (Hint offering a half tray of pasta at 40 bucks and calling it a family meal aint it).
I think social will become an even bigger tool in communicating things likes specials or new dishes/unique offerings as value has become a big winner from what I can see along with flexibility (ie spots offering paper towels, groceries, etc or even cold cuts or subs or some other new dining offerings as a way to attract new base, the spots that jumped on the family meal concept early seem to be all over that curbside group on FB with people giving glowing reviews).

2 Likes

Takeout was one of the areas we really wanted to expand this year. We were planning to do family meal takeouts. I’d be doing it now but despite being an essential industry (artisan produced foods) the whole facility is locked down & I cant get into my kitchen. God I miss my stove.

4 Likes