The Greek Spot..coming to Red Bank NJ ( & now open)

I take out the lentil soup from their other location when I‘m in that area. Great flavor.

2 Likes

I’m also a huge fan of their lemon chicken soup!

5 Likes

Tell Justin I never liked them either–but it’s worth trying a (warm) slice or diced up ROASTED beet. Completely different from cold/vinegar versions (that usually come out of a jar)!

1 Like

I’m more curious how Justin made it to (late 20-something???) without ever knowing he didn’t like beets? I mean I can understand something exotic like alligator - lamb brains - or anything on Bear Grylls eats, but beets are fairly common. I’ve known I’ve hated beets since I was like 5 years old. (oddly around the same time I realized I didn’t like @seal too)

4 Likes

Ha! Somewhere there’s a photo of me around age 1 (I’m in a high chair) and I’m COVERED in beet juice, so I ate them back then! But my childhood recollection is that I hated them. I remember watching my mom pile them on at every salad bar and being grossed out by how they ran all over everything. I was in my mid-30s and on a trip to San Francisco, met up with a friend for dinner, and she insisted I try her (warm, with goat cheese) STUNNING miniature red and gold beet app. That’s all it took and I was hooked!
(Sidebar: I’ve found a workaround for cleaning/peeling them…buy those I Love Beets that they sell in the produce aisle, drain/rinse them, cut them up, and roast away! You’re welcome. :grin:)

That’s because you only tried a bite of flipper. My best meat is around my fatty midsection.

6 Likes

He’s just never had a beet before. I guess they are not prominent in Spanish cooking when he was growing up, and as an adult, just avoided them.

My dad loved them but my mom hated them, so we never ate beets at home either. But at salad bars when growing up, I would always take some.

3 Likes

You just had to put this in a thread titled “The Greek Spot”, didn’t you…

6 Likes

That’s similar to oatmeal and me. When I was a kid my mom would do anything to get me to eat oatmeal as a kid for breakfast, especially during cold months. It repulsed me and I refused…the texture the taste, she couldn’t pour enough honey and brown sugar on it for me.

Fast forward to 20 years ago, and somehow I was probably trying to get one of my kids to eat it so I took a spoon and I was like…OMG this is friggin delicious and I fell in LOVE with oatmeal. Then after making it a staple of my morning diet (Dunkin donuts has a very good oatmeal) I started getting a lot of gout attacks and had to revisit my menu selections and the only thing that was different was my oatmeal consumption. Since then…bye bye oatmeal.

@BossaNova of course he did.

3 Likes

That stinks. And I had no idea that oatmeal was on the “bad” list for people with gout!

The secret is definitely out in Red Bank. Last night was a packed house and as we were leaving close to 8 pm the waiting area was wall to wall with people and spilled outside. Oh, and the food was spot on!

6 Likes

We got take out from TGS for Valentine’s dinner last night. I got my usual, gyro platter w Greek fries. As I devoured it all I realized that their fries are very good without being too salty. Next time I make my own fries at home I am going to try more herbs and less salt!

4 Likes

Based on your post, we got takeout from TGS, Red Bank, last night. We both got the gyro platter, one with Greek fries and one with lemon potatoes. We enjoyed the best gyros we’ve had in ages. We each built a big gyro with the single pita that came with each platter. We now know to order extra pitas for the abundance of gyro meat that we have left over.

5 Likes

Glad you enjoyed! We always keep our favorite lo-carb pita in the house so I forgot to mention the one pita thing. If I had to choose I would take the extra carbs and only eat theirs! We also usually get extra sauce.

3 Likes

which meat did you guys get for the gyro?

Have you tried Greek Eats one as well. Curious to hear everyones thoughts between the two.

Before TGS opened in Red Bank, Greek Eats was my go-to in the area for gyro. I’ve gotta give TGS the edge in their sauce though. For a while, Greek Eats was a huge bargain as well as the best game in town so there is still a soft spot in my heart for them.

2 Likes

I agree on the value on GE- I follow the CJ method when I go- I go late and ask them to pile on and they’ve never had an issue.

What meat do you get at TGS? I go beefteki at GE.

1 Like

I almost always get the beef and lamb mix at TGS - they really nail that one.

4 Likes

See this is where you pay the Red Bank Premium for getting TGS take out from Red Bank. Red Bank when I order the chicken souvlaki platter from Red Bank 2 skewers of chicken, Ocean = 3 skewers, price = same both locations!

When I get the chicken souvlaki platter it’s easily enough for 3 gyro’s. I’ll tell you what I’ve become a bit addicted to, their lemon chicken soup! I can eat a gallon of that stuff!!!

The only thing that I prefer at GE is their spanakopita empanadas are very good.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention the soup! I added Avgolemono (lemon chicken soup) to the TGS order to have for lunch the next day. It was excellent.

Update: After a salad dinner left us unfulfilled, we ended up eating the leftover beef/lamb gyro meat last night, dipping the meat into the tzatziki with our hands. Yes, we are animals.

5 Likes