The Good News Thread In The Age of Corona

It’s both. And its a world full of morons. I’m glad you are ok!!!

2 Likes

I’m known on the local board to refuse driving on I-10 West past Beltway 8 even though I’m a mile away. I’ve been three times in five years two for surgery/follow up and a trip to San Antone.

Parts are purportedly the widest freeway in the solar system. It’s a free for all with speeds of 50 mph to Mach 2 depending on the self-importance of a driver and how big of a hurry they’re in. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

It’s phones. Or morons, or both. “Makes you drive differently” isn’t on the covid symptom list.

Actually, in my area the decrease in traffic has led to two results: fewer accidents, more injuries and deaths as a result of accidents. Apparently with the roads emptier, drivers are going faster and are more likely to ignore stop signs.

5 Likes

There is less traffic on the freeways and roads so instead of sitting in traffic people are free to drive however they want to, damn the torpedoes, red lights, and stop signs.

3 Likes

The NW 610/290/10 section used to be exciting. Three roads coming together in about a mile stretch with merging traffic needing to cross four lanes while the exiting traffic was going the other way across those lanes. I always thought the through traffic got caught up in the fun and changed lanes at random just to fit in. Of course, that might just be normal Houston driving.

I think they finally sorted it out, but I haven’t ventured that way in the past year or more.

3 Likes

As others have said, it’s not a direct COVID symptom. But COVID emptied out the streets, and here in NYU, traffic fatalities are way up as a result.

3 Likes

That should be NYC, obviously. In addition to the streets, I think COVID has emptied my brain.

1 Like

I had two idiots blatantly run the same red light today, one going north and the other south. There was a Houston Police car behind one of them
and I hope he wrote them. While I live in Texas no I don’t keep loaded guns in the car but I do have two loaded shotguns by the bed just in case.

I was so pissed after this latest incident I could have gone full road rage but instead I went 60s/70s rock and plugged in Best of Buffalo Retrospective and played it twice. Instant chill. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Retrospective: The Best of Buffalo Springfield - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Literally overkill. In case you need to shoot with both hands?

Prepared to end up on either side of the bed?

Maybe like a Mr. & Mrs. Smith thing?

1 Like

It just makes things even: one for you, one for the other guy. I admire the sense of fair play that shows.

1 Like

No, if one runs out of ammo and there are still intruders inside I’ll grab the other. I have five shots total before I reload.

The plan is the Wifeacita is to hide in the closet, call 911 and the HPD will respond in force.

I don’t want to shoot anybody and I don’t want to get shot but I will protect the Wifeacita to my last breath.

Ah. Well, I hope you never need either of them.

2 Likes

Me three.

1 Like

Ah. My shotgun is 9+1. #4 shot to avoid drywall penetration. Just like tax dollars trained me. grin

2 Likes

Yep!

U.S. traffic deaths rose in 2020 despite significant decline in road travel (yahoo.com)

2 Likes

I like my Texas Guvnor Abbott but do not agree with his decision to re-open the state.

Day one report.

I went to an Exxon grocery/deli and Kroger.

Good news, everybody wore masks.

4 Likes

That’s the social experiment to observe is will enough people still “do the right things” without the requirements. I for one hope so. Stay safe my friend!

3 Likes