The Good News Thread In The Age of Corona

A Back Bay resident in Boston has been singing a Coronavirus version of “Sweet Caroline” every night from his window at 6pm.

This is an early video. People on the street now are joining in as they walk or drive past his window, as are some neighbors in their windows. :heart:

(This is a public FB post, so you should be able to watch.)

And yes, he knows he can’t sing all that well, but he’s bringing smiles to those who watch.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163240287065344&id=553560343&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=i

5 Likes

Here since 2 days, every evening at 8 pm, people gathered before their windows to make noise or to yell to support and thank the medical professional for a minute or two.

2 Likes

As are so many, H has been working from home, and will be until end of April, at least. He starts a couple hours early, so when possible, he’s spending extra time in the yard, getting all ready for spring and planting time. It’s looking beautiful around here with a lot in bloom.

Opened a thank you card from a friend, and out popped three little glassine packets from a seed bank in Shady Cove, Oregon. Black Beauty Zucchini, Love-in-a-Mist Black Cumin (nigella), and Homer File’s Yellow Oxheart tomatoes. Should be fun to plant and watch these grow.

8 Likes

My job for the last 8 years meant that I never saw my family for more than 2 wks at a time before leaving again, and in the past 6 years, it’s been a week and the weekends on each side. Now, I’ve been home with them for 3 weeks, and it will go on until the self quarantines are lifted. The best news to come out of this. For me and mine.

10 Likes

Glad for you! Enjoy!

1 Like

If you live in the U.S., your town may be on Nextdoor.com, which has no fees for residents to join and use. Local authorities post notices there, of things like road closures, water main repairs, and the like. You’ll find the latest particulars relating to SARS-CoV-2 there. Also lots of other posts, like people volunteering to do grocery runs for seniors, and similar neighborly help. You may find that there’s more community spirit than you supposed!

3 Likes

Fabulous

1 Like

Thanks for posting; I have observed so much kindness and consideration in my little suburb, heartwarming; happy to see the resource mentioned.

1 Like

That is all :smile_cat:

#SidewaysBoy

10 Likes

Well, this made me chuckle:

"The Urban Dictionary has coined the term “covidiot” to describe those who go against public health advice amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The definition reads: “Someone who ignores the warnings regarding public health or safety. A person who hoards goods, denying them from their neighbours.”

11 Likes

There is a lot of humor out there. “What’s the point in having humor? Humor is to get us over terrible things” Ricky Gervais

1 Like

Thanks for this. I just posted it on my NextDoor (north of San Francisco) because we seem to have a lot of covidiots running around. Normally they’re just plain idiots…

5 Likes

I claim this as a “good news” story

7 Likes

Not to play the Churl here, but have to ask, where is the 2,500 English pounds coming from to pay furloughed workers each month? That’s a spectacular amount when extrapolated to include all the Coronavirus unemployed in GB.

1 Like

Government says it will borrow to do what’s needed.

By the by, that’s a maximum, not an entitlement. Many workers, particularly in the most affected sectors, earn at or near to the national minimum wage of £8.21 per hour.

Have to say, I never expected such a right-wing government to act in such a socially responsible and inclusive way.

7 Likes

We have that and during these times it’s very good. People have been great - volunteering to shop for the elderly, etc.

1 Like

The best of British society. And the worst.

2 Likes

Do you really need all that toilet paper you bought?

Check it out here:

1 Like

We use more TP than the calculator suggests. Two of us go through about two rolls per week, about one roll in eight days, a good bit more than the twelve days in the calculator. We’d use more if I wasn’t a fan of our bidet. grin

1 Like

No bidet and I reckon the two of us must get through 3 rolls a week. Not that I’ve actually counted - who actually counts toilet rolls used.

2 Likes