The Galley Pizza & Eatery - Asbury Park

$17 for a medium size sandwich and fries.

Wow, that is pretty steep…especially when you don’t get enough cheese.

2 Likes

I haven’t been over here yet, but the buzz in town is everything @seal says…good quality is high, the prices reflect that, the decor isn’t, its loud, and people keep returning. I follow them on IG and have to say the owner seems very passionate about what he’s doing and how.

2 Likes

While I cannot confirm nor deny having been at The Galley Last night, I can say my two companions (one has a couple pictures) and I did enjoy ourselves. My critiques are the same as @seal, the cheese steak, while the meat was delicious they sold us on the aged provolone they use (vs. the philly cheese steak I ordered which was on special, the girl straight up said they use cheese sauce/wiz on the philly vs. their homemade provolone on the cheese steak on the menu, however there was very little cheese)

The meatballs were meh…(yes mine are better)

The wings were really good, especially for smoked. They had great flavor and some nice crisp to them, the hot honey sauce is a thing of beauty. The Kalbi app, something I have never had before, was seriously delicious. I’m not sure what exactly I ate but it was good and I would get it again in a heartbeat.

The Station 83 (as seal said they were sold out of their special pie of the day by 5pm? Really?) was an excellent recommendation. Again this had the drizzled hot honey on it, similar to the wings, and dear God I can’t get enough of that stuff.

The menu is really unusually with a lot of combinations of ingredients you wouldn’t expect or probably haven’t seen before, based on what I’ve tried I look forward to trying some more things on the menu. (like the chicken parm with long hots!!!)

I will also agree the dining room is not very welcoming. The music both selection (rap?) and volume were a bit out of place, a request for the sound to be turned down was ignored. The dining room was very chilly and oddly from 5pm - 6:30 on a Thursday night we were only 1 of two tables in the place.

Prices have been discussed nothing to add there. I will certainly go back but not till spring /summer or for take out.

8 Likes

After more than several visits I’d say that my wife and I are ‘regulars’. We are lucky and have the ability to pick and choose our dining times so plan things to dodge noisy crowds.

I have found the owner, Kris, most welcoming of constructive suggestions. I stress the word “constructive”. Everything is pretty much made to order and, unlike say Porta, they are most happy to make alterations to a dish for you

I find the discussions of price interesting - I doubt that would even come up if they were on the other side of the tracks. BYO adds significant value. Not to excessively pick on Porta (I am generally a fan) but I’ve gotten some checks there that raised an eyebrow.

I think the Galley will continue to improve as customer feedback accumulates.

7 Likes

I agree with everything @seal and @NotJrvedivici said about The Galley. These are my highlights and low points.

The Korean Kalbi was outstanding, I would order it everytime its available. It’s described as “Pat Lafrieda
Marinated Prime Short Ribs-Sesame oil - Gochujang - Scallion - Greens”

The chicken wings were dry rubbed and smoked, then drizzeled with hot honey and were very good.

While the meat in the cheesesteak and the roll were good, the lack of cheese left it tasting dry. It also needs fried onions.

The meatball sandwich was disappointing, not a lot of flavor in the balls or the sauce. I can confirm that both @NotJrvedivici and especially my wife make better meatballs.

The pizza was called “Station 83 - White pizza, chili oil, impastata ricotta, mozzarella, hot salami, Mike’s hot honey drizzle and fresh chopped basil”. It was very tasty, a good combination of ingredients and thin crust but it flopped when you picked it up. Maybe slightly longer in the oven is needed but it won’t stop me from trying some other pizzas there.

I don’t mind the pizza store ambiance but the much too loud annoying music in an empty place is not welcoming at all.

I’d like to try some of the other menu items and specials. Please take this with a grain of salt, but at this price point, even though I liked most of the food, if the music is the same on my next visit it might be my last.

6 Likes

Things like the volume and content of the music are easily fixed - as long as they know it’s a problem. Kris/The Galley hangs on IG - consider dropping them a note.

1 Like

We did not mention the content as any establishment can choose the type of music they want but we were the only table occupied and did specifically ask them to turn it down and they did not.

3 Likes

That is simply unacceptable.

5 Likes

Hey guys I’m Kris, the owner/chef of The Galley. I was messaged and told there was a discussion here.

Thanks for the comments. We are working on the “empty space”. My concern is the food quality not the echo. We are doing our best with the decorating as well. The music is the complete opposite of rap. And well try to keep it lower for ya. The meatballs and sauce are some of our biggest sellers aside from everything else. Sorry a couple of you don’t like them. As far as the cheesteak, it is an aged white cheddar, not provolone. And it’s a strong cheese. So 3 slices is plenty. It’s more of a steak sandwich, we just call it a cheesesteak to keep it simple. Everything here is supposed to be different then the average pizza point. Sorry it looks that way, it’s all I could afford. I’m doing my best with what I have. I appreciate everyone’s business. And well keep trying to put out some great food for you. We will keep using the highest quality ingredients possible and making everything homemade everyday. Again, thank youfor your business. Have a great day.

11 Likes

The discussion here was preventing me from trying your place.
Because you took the initiative to respond in a professional manner I look forward to making The Galley a stop very soon.
It’s nice to hear from an owner that responds to criticism in such a positive way.
Good Luck

4 Likes

Awesome! Glad to hear. Also, we will be adding even more cheese to our prime rib cheesesteak.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully we will see you around on here in the future. It is a cool forum and I think you will enjoy it.

1 Like

Kris,
Welcome and thanks for joining the conversation here! Listen nothing I said or experienced was intended to suggest we had a “bad” experience. Your pride in the ingredients is noted both by your affirmation here but also from the food, it was mostly very good and I really enjoyed the wings, I would like to bathe in the hot honey, perhaps you can set up a dunk tank! lol

Good luck to you, I will certainly be back!

2 Likes

All good buddy! Was just replying. All is good! Everyone enjoy the nice weather!

4 Likes

Had my second visit here today for lunch with Michelle. First, I want to say the music level was fine this time and the music was appropriate.

We started with the kalbi and the wings with honey, both great again. We had the Hangry Honey pizza which has their regular blended cheese topped with large amount of pepperoni, globs of ricotta, chili oil, chili flakes and hot honey. It was very good and not as spicy as it sounds.

The food here has been great both visits. Just as we were finishing up I saw a burger go out to a nearby table and it looked very good. The burger is definitely on my radar for next time.

The owner came by to check on us and we had a nice chat. I hope this place does well.

7 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

PASTRAMI ALERT!!

5 Likes

Oh boy, this picture is calling my name! I might have to try some this weekend! I’m a pastrami lover, and homemade! Wow!

2 Likes

Stopped by after the Asbury Fishing club show at Convention Hall today. Had a Hangry Honey slice while I waited for a pastrami sandwich to go. Pizza was great, you could tell the ingredients were too notch. Pastrami, well It didn’t make it home sorry kids. Great flavor and a nice pepper blend. Looking forward to a return trip and exploring more of the menu.

Added bonus, who doesn’t love a parade?

9 Likes