"The Crisper Whisperer: 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your CSA"

Stumbled on this searching for poblano chili r ed cipes and thought it was worth sharing.

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to do a little more planning.

I still had savoy cabbage and cauliflower when I got

White garlic ( I am always buying and using garlic)
Yellow Finn potatoes
Celery (and I already had some)
Green onion
Thyme
Shitake mushrooms and
Hydroponic Green butter lettuce.

It definitely helps to wash and dry the lettuce soon after I get it. Husband is much more likely to use it in sandwiches, and Iā€™m slightly more likely to make salad. Making salad dressing ahead would help.

I think roasting carrots ahead would be well received.

Iā€™m experimenting with sous viding veg, and leaving it in the bag to finish later in the week. I did savoy cabbage in buttermilk, which is supposed to be grilled.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a cauliflower lover but recently made this recipe in the dehydrator. Tasty and crunchy. Donā€™t think Iā€™d know it was cauliflower. Several people thought they were delicious, my sister thought they were dried clamsšŸ˜±.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know about washing greens as soon as they comeā€¦ imo they spoil faster that way.

Wrapping them in paper (newspaper or kitchen roll) and into a plastic bag keeps them quite well for a long time.

Weā€™ve had an abundance of kale, and while it isnā€™t great for salad after a while, itā€™s still perfectly good for sautĆ©ing and soups.

I liked the freezing tip - I donā€™t freeze fresh vegetables typically, unless its for stock, or squishy tomatoes to be cooked later. BUT - potatoes? Does anyone here do this? Iā€™d love to know more.

ETA: potatoes should be blanched, apparently.

2 Likes

Good points, and no, I do not freeze potatoes.

The greens they seem to refer to are on root vegetables, and I havenā€™t dealt with those in awhile, except maybe carrots. Have you tried carrot top pesto? I have not.

My ā€œbutter lettuceā€ wasnā€™t washed and still spoiled in a few days, but the washed romaine was a trooper! And husband ate it in a sandwich he made with his very own hands!! Just not going to happen if it needs to be cut and washed. I guess I will stick with romaine.

Husband remembers ā€œfire roasted cauliflower with chimichurri crumbleā€ at Brix in Napa, and Im going to try to recreate that.

1 Like

I make it on the regular and like it quite a bit. itā€™s my consolation prize for not being able to grow a decent root vegetable to save my damn life.

2 Likes

This recipe was in Bon Appetit magazine maybe 10 years ago. It was from a well known chef ( although his name is not attributed to it and I canā€™t remember who he was). He said his family couldnā€™t afford shrimp so his mother came up with this recipe. Chilled it and took off for the beach with all the kids and they were in seventh heaven. Sounded good at the time of reading but never got around to making it. Maybe a good use for cauliflower ?

Thank you! My adult daughter would especially love that, as she cannot abide shrimp, but seems to really like cauliflower.

I made ā€œfire roasted cauliflower with date, pine nut, chimichurri crumble, and lemon brown butter vinaigretteā€, but with dried cherries from Bingā€™s earlier this season, and some chopped cashews that were better than the pine nuts I had.

I love cauliflower ( but not always the cauliflower offered by my CSA) and am always looking for recipes.

3 Likes

Roasted cauliflower is by far my favorite (and oddly a signature dish, if thatā€™s even possible).

I recall a thread on cauliflower, convincing someone to try itā€¦ worth a search.

ETA: Found it.

2 Likes

I do love a search!

That link doesnā€™t seem to work anymore. Maybe this one will, at least for awhile.

This isnā€™t exactly on topic so my apologies.

Most of my grocery shopping is at two different markets both of which are upscale. One is strong in meats, cheeses, fruits, and some vegetables while the otherā€™s strengths are produce.

What I donā€™t understand why the former market consistently has terrible garlic and shallots. Itā€™s just mind boggling. They carry high end very fresh produce yet their garlic and shallots are the worst in town. I know I knowā€¦first world problems.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never had good luck with freezing cooked potatoes. When you thaw and re-heat, they are always grainy in a way that they werenā€™t pre-freezing.

1 Like

I truly believe 50% of the work of cooking is mental. Or rather, not cooking, but keeping a kitchen going and a family fed. So my trick, ymmv, is that whenever I bring home a produce haul, I write a list of each produce item, and then brainstorm a meal around it. I organize the meals in time depending on the shelf life of that produce. So I will try to incorporate greens within 3 days of buying, but can wait weeks for carrots, beets, turnips, etc. if need be. Veg and fruit are the most perishable thing in this house, as the starches are almost always shelf stable and the proteins almost always stored in the freezer and taken out a day or two before cooking.

3 Likes