The Burger Post - Houston Hamburgers

I can’t believe we don’t have one, but I can’t find it if it exists.

Today I noticed a new burger joint going in on Memorial @ Dairy Ashford where a sandwich shop recently closed.

It’s called Joy Love Burger and has two other fairly new locations, Katy and Tomball. Looks like a winner.

I may have already talked about this somewhere, but after seeing Mom’s Diner (Lufkin) on Texas Bucket List we stopped in while nearby (sort of) and got the Mom’s Monster, add jalapenos. It was one messy burger due to the way it is chopped mercilessly while on the grill. It was good but I still like Ray’s Drive In for Lufkin burgers.

Had a burger lately?

1 Like

Not quite sure what we don’t have.

It’s been a few years but Bellaire Broiler Burger does a great greasy charbroiled burger.

I’ve got a very medium rare cast iron burger penciled in for Wednesday using prime chuck from MY HEB.

2 Likes

The best burger in Houston is definitely not Five Guys.

I went for the first time the other day and got a double due to the small patty size, no cheese, no fries and an iced tea pushed 11 bucks tt&l it’s a one and done for me.

Despite the signs all over the place about how lovingly the burgers are cooked to juicy perfection and seemingly the darling of every small to mid-sized city in the US I received two dried out thin hockey pucks.

1 Like

Yeah you do!

1 Like

All man…the h town burger thread. You guys are killing me! Lol. I will be stopping by to check this thread out about every day. Come see the NJ burger thread. We can compare notes :slight_smile:

Some NJ footage from Wednesday night. I told my uncle to hold up and he then places the bun on top of the cheese and screwed the pic up. Oh well…one of the best burgers you will get anywhere. Pourhouse in Shrewsbury NJ. It’s so good you honestly dont need bacon with that cheddar sauce!

Do you guys do the large pub style burgers down there?

2 Likes

I went once when they first came to town and had the same impression - dry. Much prefer Smash Burger.

Have you tried Tornado Burger? That one requires two patties, even for me, but I liked it a lot. The spicy version has jalapenos in the meat. I went to the one in Stafford, but there is one in your neck of the woods too, or used to be, on Long Point. The Tornado Taco is popular too.

Tornado Burger has morphed into a full blown Tornado Taco. I drive by every day and the burger place did no business but the taco place is doing really well, burgers are no longer served. Whataburger is just down the street and we prefer them anyway.

Our washer was on the fritz and we did some hard time in a Spring Branch washeteria and grabbed some tater tots while we washed clothes. We liked them and took to calling the place Tornado Tot but alas they’re no longer served.

After a very up and down food week in Galveston, see tomorrow, it was a former President Warren G. Harding slogan “Return to Normalcy” so it was Beck’s Prime Heights and they came through.

Two perfectly grilled char broiled thick medium rare specimens. Say no more.

No cheese.

2 Likes

I haven’t been a fan of Beck’s, maybe I should order medium rare.

1 Like

I had to check this out – a new place down near me is JLB Eatery - hmmmm.

https://www.thejlbeatery.com/

Multiple locations and getting lots of raves on Next Door, very similar menus.

The one on Stella Link took over the place that was Wild Kitchen, which was discovered about the same time as Tornado but never became as well known outside SW Houston, I think. They had double-double animal style years before In n Out came to town, plus fish Cajun or London style. I always thought it was better than Tornado but it went downhill bad before closing.

The one I want to try is Burger-chan, originally Kuma Burger, now with an above ground location just west of the Galleria on Alabama. I was always afraid I’d get lost in the Greenway Plaza underground never be heard from again. I’ve gotta see if the buzz about this one is for real.

The burgers at JLB are supposed to be huge (and pricey) so I’m not in that big a hurry.

3 Likes

Yeah Joy love Burger has been there for several years and I have yet to go, they changed their name to JLB burgers. They do have fried fish several different ways And other interesting things so I need to get there eventually.

2 Likes

OK, I know the Joy love Burger on Memorial Drive changed its name to JLB Burger, but I went there today and it’s back to Joy love Burger including all the signage. There’s still JLB burgers around town so I guess there was a split of some kind.

Anyway, I’m flying solo today so I decided to go up there and get some wings. Having listened to a podcast about wings, it started up a craving. I got the six fried wings (hot sauced also available) combo, which includes fries, a salad and a drink. Everything is made to order so I waited 10 minutes or so and took them home. They were very dark in color and obviously fried a couple of minutes too long, which was disappointing. The salad is peculiar because it just doesn’t fit with his meal, and it’s very tiny with no dressing included. The price was $14 or so. I do want to go back and try their fish, they offer London style or Cajun style, which only means flour versus cornmeal breading.

If you haven’t seen it check out Hot Ones on YouTube, where celebrities are interviewed as they eat progressively hot sauces on wings. Be sure to catch the episode with Gordon Ramsay, he actually loses his mind.

3 Likes

Dried out meat on those wings? That’s too bad.

Let us know about the fish. Around here what you can get is mostly catfish (I’m talking fish sandwiches). I tried the Popeye’s fish sandwich and was pleasantly surprised. It’s flounder and they did a pretty good job. Not as good as the spicy fried chicken sandwich, but very good for fast food, I’d say. Haven’t been back for either and I’ve read they haven’t ;maintained the quality.

You can get catfish poboys out the kazoo, of course, Soul Food places, Seafood shacks, BBQ joints (especially Black owned), Cajun places, even upscale Seafood emporia.

ETA: Looked at JLB’s menu - fish sandwich looks pretty decent but only catfish??? Even for the London style (sandwich and dinners, etc.)… Didn’t realize there were catfish in the Thames. The Avon?

I’m going to start a fish sandwich thread, I think. I want options - cod, pollock, whitefish, flounder, redfish.

1 Like

Limited edition - Wednesday May 31 - 11 am until sold out!

A beef rendang burger sounds awesome to me.

1 Like

Was it?

Didn’t make it. Sorry. Actually what sounds great to me would be a portion of beef rendang on a bun, with some of the unabsorbed curry. Not what they were doing, I think.

1 Like

I was recently in Houston and hit Cliff’s on Fountainview. It has been there FFE and is still a spectacular burger and fries.

2 Likes

Still there? Wow. That street has seen some big changes. I was there once years ago when I was surveying the chili offerings around town! There was a location either (or both) on Shepherd in Montrose and Bissonnet on Bellaire when I did have a burger years ago.

1 Like

Houston had some great burgers when I was there 77-89. Hamburgers by Gourmet, Roznovsky’s, Lukes, Mary Ann’s Old Timey. I never really liked Beck’s. For a chargrilled burger I much preferred Luke’s. I worked at Travis and Rusk. There was a Cliff’s on the ground floor of the Texas Commerce garage, on Main. Their breakfasts were the best.

As to Fountainview, I loved the Fountainview Cafe.

1 Like