The big ole NJ Meatball Parmigiana Thread

Assuming this is typo with the BOYS, but then again maybe not.

Could be time for a yellow alert.

That could be too classy for this event.

Wow, talk about low hanging fruit!

Yes but where and when?

Promises, promises.

We certainly hope so.

Yes that is what many of us are thinking.

Please NOT Jrs balls again.

3 Likes

Your balls are looking good!

Thank you sir. Comments on my balls are always appreciated !

These are the best Iā€™ve ever had! Iā€™m dead serious. I am lucky that my coworker gets me large packages. That sounds pretty wrong but trust me lol

https://www.google.com/amp/www.syracuse.com/articles/11642791/asciotis_the_legendary_solvay.amp

If anyone has better meatball mix please fill me in. This is the stuff dreams are made of

Wow, contraband from Onandaga Lake !

Hey one of the owners is Lebanese. Are they throwing a little lamb in the mix?

I do this at home sometimes, lamb, beef, pork and veal. You get some interesting deep meaty flavors with that mix. I will also put a little mint and cinnamon in the mix sometimes in addition to the parsley and basil, which is a little Sicilian.

1 Like

Heidi HO good neighbors ! Today we have this 14 inch meaty behemoth thanks to Fratellis at Union Square in Middletown:

Whatā€™s Good: Meatballs were ginormous, delicious and there were plenty of them. Great meaty flavors. Sauce was good, more mellow than zesty. Great value for a totally delicious sub.

Not so good: Bread was chewy but on the soft side and otherwise unremarkable. Could have used a good toasting to crisp it up. Also while cheese was present, it was not noticeable, no melty strings here. However if you are all about the balls, this could be your sub.

Price: $ 9.00 plus tax for 14 inches

Overall grade: A-

Would order again: Definitely.

2 Likes

I like their chicken parm but as you mentioned, the bread isnā€™t the greatest. Iā€™m waiting for the review on joeanneā€™s meatball parm and throw rockafellars into the party too. I think you will like those.

As for the Syracuse meatballs, I donā€™t believe there is any lamb. They donā€™t give up their recipe, but I believe there is only beef and pork. They are honestly world class. I wouldnt dare enter them as my own into the HO meatball contest but I think they would decimate the competition.

Any good Swedish meatball recipes? Tomorrow Iā€™m cooking some up and I think Iā€™m getting off the red sauce this time.

1 Like

I like to use closer to a half/half ratio of light cream and beef broth. I also use a tsp of Better Than Bouillon beef base to up the beefy flavor of the sauce, but this guy has it mostly right:

I donā€™t know where that dweeb Alton Brown got that recipe but itā€™s not very Swedish.

Real Swedish meatballs are very simple with no nutmeg and no allspice.

The recipe in the the Rutiga Kokboken from ICA which is the bible of Swedish cookbooks is as follows:

4 tsp breadcrumbs
2 dl water
400 gm ground meat (mix of pork & beef)
1 egg
Salt & pepper

Mix in a bowl, form balls, and fry by rolling them around to brown on all sides.

Thatā€™s it !

SkƄnska kƶttbullar are made entirely with ground pork, in Denmark they do the same pork only but call these frikadeller.

Tore Wretman, a famous cook in Sweden who used to run the OperakƤlleren restaurant, has a slightly more complicated recipe for Swedish meatballs as follows:

2 hg beef
1 hg veal
1 hg pork, gladly fatty
2 dl heavy cream
1 dl stale white bread
1 egg
1/2 onion finely chopped onion
Black Pepper
Salt

Soak bread in cream. Tore runs all the meat through a grinder 3-4 times, the last two times with the bread milk mixture. Heat the onion in a little butter until it softens. Add onion to meat mixture, season with salt and pepper.

He uses two spoons to form the balls, making them a little larger if for a meal, or a little smaller for the smorgasbord. They should be fried by rolling them around in a little butter, and then placed in a warm dish in a low oven.

In any case when the meatballs are done you need to make the sauce.

When the meatballs are done add a little extra butter or fat to the pan and a tablespoon of flour. Brown the flour slightly and add the juices (sky) which collects at the bottom of dish holding the meatballs to the pan together with heavy cream or whole milk scraping up any brown bits. A little soy sauce may be added to the sauce at this stage, Tore uses Japanese, but most other Swedes use something called Colorit which is a thickened soy that helps to make the sauce brown. Cook everything together until sauce thickens.

Again, really simple and no nutmeg or allspice.

Unless these are part of a smƶrgƄsbord, the meatballs are usually served with the sauce, either boiled or mashed potatoes, lingon berries, and a fresh cucumber salad.

Finally, meatballs are NEVER served with noodles in Sweden. Helga finds this hillarious when she sees it in the US.

3 Likes

Well, if youā€™re gonna get all Swedish on me :grin:

1 Like

The Swedish meatballs in Sweden are far superior to and unlike anything Iā€™ve had here. Had them several times in Stockholm last summer.

4 Likes

@seal my fellow ho, one of the things that drives me nuts, literally, is when these idiot celebrity chefs get their hands on whatā€™s basically a delicious simple peasant recipe and then start dude-ing it up.

The worst offender is Bobbi Effingflay who can not take anything that is simple and delicious without farting on it. I canā€™t stand to watch that idiot ginger. He reminds me of Howdy Doodie with a spice cabinet. That damn Boston accent is also so annoying. Mesa Grill is awful, some of the worst food Iā€™ve ever tasted.

Martha Kostyra Polaka Stewart and Alton Dweebie are kind of tier two on the list. Nigella the Two Ton Nightcrawler and Jaimie ā€œmy barn door is openā€ Lord Olivier are also repeat offenders.

And Gordon Ramsay is a donkey sized pr!Ā¢k who may make good food (his restaurants are good), but has to reengineer everything in the process. Farming turkeys in his back yard, give me a break. His shows are the biggest gobblers. I would love to jam a big ole rutabaga down that never ending gosh of his.

So here is a new maxim for you.

If a recipe is simple and delicious, donā€™t (insert celebrity chef here) F-wad it up!

1 Like

Yep. Not hiding the quality of the ingredients by dude-ing it up makes a big difference.

1 Like

Vik, no wine at all in traditional swedish meatballs?

Nope. Grapes donā€™t grow well in Sweden so wine has to be imported.

As a result, wine does not feature large in traditional dishes (husmanskost).

Beer and snaps on the other hand were common in the old days.

Ah I see. My mom cooks some pretty good Swedish ā€œstyleā€ meatballs. She uses a little wine. Iā€™m obviously not swedish or Italian, but if you want to boil a potato or drink whisky, I might have a tip for you lol.

I have a package of asciotis meatball mix that Iā€™m cooking tonight at my uncles house. Itā€™s my first attempt at going ā€œswedishā€ style with these. Even pan fried with nothing added, these things are off the charts.

Pre-fight feast! Feeding about 30 peeps before the fight tonight, itā€™s all about the gravy!

3 Likes

2 Likes

My invite must have gotten lost in the mailā€¦ be there in a few!

2 Likes