The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

I think I do remember that one @winecountrygirl! AH was great, and I especially liked the little ending he always gave.

1 Like
1 Like

Big ABBA fan, since I was a kid. Still have all the CDs and know all the tracks.

I did watch a few concert performances on video in my 20’s. Some stage costumes Agnetha Fältskog wore left absolutely nothing to the imagination! :innocent:

Both women have phenomenal voices.

2 Likes

I read the title including “Fat Nostalgia” and thought “I don’t need fat nostalgia, I’m still fat”.

My real nostalgia with food is mostly not literally about the food. I’ll have a memory that starts from some little detail like how the way my grandmother cooked chicken gave it a slightly different texture than how my mother did it, but mostly it makes me think of both of them and how different my mother and I seem to have become from how we were then, even though we probably aren’t.

Sort of like Proust, I guess, but half a page at a time.

1 Like

This thread, as opposed to the media/ food topics ones, doesn’t necessarily include food.
At least if I can remember back to lambchop’s premise.
An exercise in isolation entertainment.
:slight_smile:

Yes, correct @bbqboy, just a place to remember better years and times than current ones, but food ok too! Although 2021 looks more hopeful in the long run, we still need some happy distractions…

Oh, never an ABBA fan, but it worked for me in the Mama Mia movie, in fact I loved it, but had to be coaxed to watch. :joy_cat: One bright spot to NOT being in the seventies, at least for me. But heck, on second thought, could put up with them…as long as I have enough patchouli oil :upside_down_face:

1 Like

After ABBA leaves the stage:

2 Likes

Haha… that’s gross. The background music is seizure-inducing, thank “god” for the close-captioning option. Boudain was so young and his weight was healthy.

Btw, I don’t know anything about modern ABBA like the musical and such. I did go see Bjorn Again at a disco when I was younger.

Swedish is one of my top 3 favourite best-sounding languages.

1 Like

Gross? It sounds like it surpasses the typical super burrito. The shrimp salad is over the top.

1 Like

I like shrimp salad, I like potato mash, sausage (they used hot dog), I like flat bread but the shrimp salad doesn’t belong here.

A similar monstrosity is this thing:

1 Like

The Dutch have Kapaslon; the Quebecois – poutine. Works for us too.

1 Like

Watched most of the ABBA tour video; you get bonus points for the nostalgia factor - it’s loaded! Thanks.

1 Like

Via Vintage Los Angeles

There were three things I could always count on whenever I stopped in to Nate 'n Al’s: A corned beef sandwich, new pickles, and Larry King.

Every morning they’d have a newspaper and those two bowls of blueberries waiting for him. Whether he showed or not. Nate’s will never be the same. Farewell Larry. We’ll miss seeing you around the neighborhood. :pray:

5 Likes

America’s diner’s signature breakfast honors Mr. Aaron:

3 Likes

RIP Larry King; I’m sorry he had significant tragedy in the last year of his storied life. Sad. :cry:

1 Like

I’m afraid this is probably just a stereotypical and endlessly-repeated bit of complaining, but I just realized I actually miss the phone book. It’s faster to look someone up without it, it no longer makes sense for several reasons, yes I know all that. But I miss it anyway. It was comforting to me as a kid that I could know where everyone was and what their phone number was. It fascinated me to see all the names of the people I hadn’t met, even in our small town. I counted all the people in a nearby town who had the same last name (a large proportion of that town). I could look at the map with all the area codes and wonder what all those places were like (the codes were still simple to figure out at that time). I remember more than once feeling “We’re really in a different place now - they have a different phone book here” after seeing an unfamiliar one.

Someone said a really skilled songwriter should be able to set the phone book to music and make it sound good. That implies that the phone book was boring. I didn’t think it was boring at all.

5 Likes

Which reminds me of an old SCTV skit:

2 Likes