The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

I heard this on the radio today and it made me laugh

1 Like

Haha! I remember Soupy Sales but I not remember him for that song or other “teen hits”.

We didn’t see Soupy in the middle of the country. Never quite understood his fame.
These are his sons Hunt and Tony, however, backing Iggy…
True R&R royalty. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember Soupy Sales, but it’s kind of vague. Seems unlikely now, but I think he was on after school where I lived, and I think we all tuned in for it. I think he went on to marry Florence Henderson, if I’m recalling things correctly. Also remember Where The Action Is, with Paul Revere And The Raiders, Sonny & Cher, of course American Bandstand, and others. Seems like there were a lot on directly after school.

2 Likes
1 Like

I well remember that song @BoneAppetite - one of my favorites, even the other covers of it, but I’m not even vaguely recalling the show. I wonder if it wasn’t on in my market at the time? I do remember saving my money, walking to the little store, and buying Tiger Beat magazine. Had no idea he was involved in that, now I know who he is. In my teenage opinion, it was the coolest magazine of all, among dozens!

Although I don’t like being as “senior” as I am, I find myself being happy to have been part of the baby boom generation. Having a brother 5 years older, and parents who liked music, it was all about that, and the fads of the day, during an age of peace (for the most part) and prosperity. I got a transistor radio for my 10th birthday, and it went everywhere with me! Also, growing up on Air Force bases, it was pretty safe, and I had a long leash. :grin:

Thanks for posting the link; I am assuming you are a BB too, or perhaps someone much younger, with a deep interest in that era? :upside_down_face:

ETA: Too quick read at first, see now that Ben King covered that song. Ok, more research to do.

2 Likes

Here’s the version that introduced us to the original:

1 Like

What a peasant. We had a Monkey Ward black and white tv my brother and I shared in our bedroom. It had the requisite foil on the antennas for improved reception and we caught some guy named OJ Simpson in the Rose Bowl while we laid in our beds with the flu.

Our parents installed a small a/c in our room and we were in tall cotton.

Global warming? Houston in the 60’s was flat out hot. :hot_face:

1 Like

Oh yes, so remember the black and white TV’s of the day, with rabbit ears, and yes, the foil! They were high tech back in the day. And transistors were the apogee of technology at a certain point; they were a big deal. Seems quaint now. Good times though! Oh and A/C was pretty new too, right? Before then, it was shut the blinds and turn the fan on high…

Oh boy, the heat was something else too, which I remember from this day, though I was still a very young child when we left Houston @jcostiones.

2 Likes

A/C was invented by Willis Carrier, sound familiar in 1902 in Buffalo but it took a lot of time for widespread usage.

We had window units at the house.

Elementary school got a/c in the cafeteria my last year. Junior High installed it the year after I left.

Senior High was a new modern school with central air but with a caveat. It never worked. Because it was such a “modern” school all the rooms were in the interior with no windows. Hello fans. Again.

Now when the a/c fails in a school they send their happy little rears home and it makes the evening news in a very large city. Pre covid of course. Does anybody go to school anymore? :crazy_face: :mask: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

I’ve seen Iggy a few times, notably at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ, back in the '80s. I was also in the audience when he played live for Sony’s Sessions at W. 54th St. television show (the audience coordinator was a friend, and she got me into a lot of shows there). One of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

One of the artists I have always wanted to see but our paths never intersected.
Thanks for sharing!
:wink:

You’re welcome! Man, I miss live music. And restaurants, of course. But also live music. There’s a line in Cynthia Heimel’s Sex Tips for Girls that has stayed with me since I read it decades ago: “Do you know what? I have spent a full 20 years watching boys play guitars.” I’m up to 40 years, now. (And I’ve also spent a lot of time watching girls play guitars.)

1 Like

We had one too, emphasis on one, in my parents room. We all went in there, which was probably more than it could handle.

1 Like

Girls playing guitars:

1 Like

Yup. See also: The Bangles, Joan Jett, L7, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, The Pretenders, et al. (I’m old, obviously.)

Not sure why this speaks to me.

2 Likes

In a food sense, this year has mostly been about comfort foods (for obvious reasons), old favorites from happier times, even certain things from childhood or taste memories to try and recreate - sometimes with success.

H did most of the cooking, and catered well to my whims and sudden changes of appetite…we had a lot of great soup, and grilled cheese or grilled sandwiches, meats, gravy, mash, and the like. Of course good garden stuff in the summer, but typically, easy straightforward cooking most of the year. To say we didn’t break new ground for the most part, is a vast understatement.

For this year, am looking forward to a more experimental approach, interested in exploration, utilizing the cookbooks already in the house, and incorporating more and different fresh vegetables into meals. These next winter months should be a good time to branch out with root vegetables and hardy greens I don’t frequently use. Anyway, looking forward to some different food in 2021, plus old faves too.

2 Likes

A New Years bonus…

1 Like