The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

I always thought the Perry Mason theme was scary. As an adult, I’ll call it haunting. But also scary.
Is that just me?

2 Likes

I used to sneak over to the top of the stairs to hear ‘Peter Gunn’

1 Like

Agree - scary @shrinkrap!

So familiar but I don’t know why!

Moody, maybe dark, with a bump and grind beat . . .

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/158705/all

1 Like

Very noir-ish, with a fear factor…like you’re in a dark alley.

Wild Kingdom was one of my father’s favorite shows but back then nobody else in the house cared for it. Thinking it was on sometime during the week or there would have been a revolt on Sunday night.

My father and I watched Perry Mason every day after work and school. It was on from 4-5 if I remember correctly. He got home from work at 4 and I was through with Dark Shadows. I still catch PM every once in awhile on local tv if I’m in the mood. It’s on channel 21 every morning at 8:00 a.m. I love the lead in music.:slightly_smiling_face:

Dark Shadows for the win!

Sometimes racing to my house, sometimes racing (past James Bown’s house!! ) to my BFF’s.

3 Likes

Ha - good one. Thanks!
By the way, I HATED the new Perry Mason remake - just awful - so violent and depressing. Where are Perry, Della, and Paul when you need them???

1 Like

In the alternate universe:

Perry Mason

Main article: Perry Mason (1957 TV series)

In 1956, Burr auditioned for the role of District Attorney Hamilton Burger in Perry Mason , a new CBS-TV courtroom drama based on the highly successful novels by Erle Stanley Gardner. Executive producer Gail Patrick Jackson had been impressed with Burr’s courtroom performance in A Place in the Sun (1951), and she told Burr that he was perfect for Perry Mason but at least 60 pounds (27 kg; 4.3 st) overweight. He went on a crash diet over the following month; he then tested as Perry Mason and was cast in the role.[18] While Burr’s test was running, Gardner reportedly stood up, pointed at the screen, and said, “That’s Perry Mason.”[19]:8403 William Hopper also auditioned as Mason, but he was cast instead as private detective Paul Drake.[51] The series also starred Barbara Hale as Della Street, Mason’s secretary, William Talman as Hamilton Burger, the district attorney who loses nearly every case to Mason, and Ray Collins as homicide detective Lieutenant Arthur Tragg.[18]

The series ran from 1957-66. Burr received three consecutive Emmy Award nominations and won the award in 1959 and 1961[52] for his performance as Perry Mason.

3 Likes

It had nothing to do with the real one. Terrible.

My cousin was the set designer on Dark Shadows. I did get to go the set once while they were taping. One time they used a parakeet on the show. He ended up at my house when they were done with him.

3 Likes

“I did get to go the set once while they were taping.”

Whaaat! :open_mouth: Were you a fan?

Absolutely. Watched it from day one. It started me on soaps! Ran nome from school to watch it.

1 Like

My grandmother always had to be home to watch ‘Perry’. I liked the new one. & we always went to my buddy Doug’s house after school to watch Dark Shadows.

1 Like

This past Halloween weekend, a local station ran a 72 hour back to back Dark Shadows marathon. As much as I loved it in my younger days I could only take so much. One thing that surprised me was that Roger(Elizabeth’s brother) framed Burke Devlin( who was the mystery millionaire) for a hit and run murder… This was before my time. And according to this site at the beginning of the series Roger was married to his paternal grandmother. WTH??

2 Likes

Thank’s for the interesting info. Perry Mason was one of my favorite shows though I didn’t start watching until many years after it’s original run. I’m still a sucker for a mystery. Plus, my father looked exactly like Perry.

I watched the new version on HBO and liked but it was no Perry Mason.

Agreed!

2 Likes

Not a mystery but oh, so good

1 Like

I don’t remember watching that, but I remember the name. Husband and I were just talking about Ben Casey, which he remembers fondly. I don’t remember watching that either.

From experience, we can confidently say that every service business has good chances of lasting when a Della Street voice is answering the call in the first instance.

1 Like