The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

Now you gone done and did it.

My favorite of them guys.

3 Likes

I’ve got some and will gladly trade for a couple of Farrah Fawcett posters. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ha ha, ok, I’ll get you one of hers in the iconic red swimsuit and look for a couple others!:joy_cat:

2 Likes

I don’t remember the color of the swimsuit but I believe a nipple might have been involved, a big deal back in the day. :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :mask:

1 Like

As we all come together over great meals…

3 Likes
1 Like

A most random memory floated past today; does anyone remember the first wave (haha) of microwaves available to consumers? The Amana Radar Range that was going to revolutionize the way we cook? Think this happened in the mid to late 70’s. Anyway, one of the big pitches of the new ovens was that you could cook your turkey in an hour, and indeed everything else for Thanksgiving. They were big, clunky, and quite expensive early on.

4 Likes

We had a first-wave one, and my parents (not sure which one was more paranoid about this) always kept a glass of water in it. Apparently there was some fear that you might accidentally run it empty and it would blow up or something. See also: using your cell phone at a gas station can cause a fire, and (going back a ways) humans cannot survive at speeds of 30 mph.

4 Likes

Too funny! And people were so paranoid about using any tin foil or metal utensils in there and thought it would wreck the MW? You can safely do so if the proportions of food are higher than the metals. To prevent arcing you have to ensure the foil is folded down. But it doesn’t harm the MW’s.

How do I know this? Because I took a series of free MW cooking classes in 1986 at the appliance store where we bought our 1st one! It seems so funny now. :joy_cat:

1 Like

I remember having friends that had one of those first microwaves. They boasted about making double baked potatoes in a few minutes. So they had us over for dinner, and I will never forget the taste of that potato. MW’d potatoes are awful!!!

3 Likes

I remember an attempt in about 1980 of reheating a Wendys hamburger. The wrappers at the time were metalized paper. The resulting fire was impressive and did not do the hamburger any good at all.

I ate it. The alternative was fish night in the college dining room. Couldn’t be worse than that.

4 Likes

Friends.

1 Like

Your friend in the hat should clean and polish his guitar. grin The bouncy woman is going to have knee problems when she gets to be my age.

Ram’s Head is less than 3.5 miles from home. It isn’t The Birchmere but it’s close.

Wait. You, the consummate sailor, hate fish? Or just dorm fish?

Fish is fine. The fish in college was an abomination. We all hated it. The food contractor knew it and when the budget was tight they knew only ten percent of the students would eat. That was the number they cooked for. Big savings for them.

1 Like

Buzzkill. :wink:. Gigging is not a clean experience. You should know that. Funny, when I play music videos I’m listening to the song.
Musicians consider that gig gunk magic dust, btw. You don’t clean the good mojo friend.

1 Like

Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins?

1 Like

Wonderful World of Disney and Wild Kingdom . . . I had forgotten both, but that was my Sunday childhood viewing. I guess I wasn’t into Bonanza, or I was too young to stay up for that :yawning_face:

1 Like

@shecrab, @gaffk - Those shows were our Sunday evening lineup too. When I stayed at my grandparents, I had to go to bed after Perry Mason. Even now, when I hear the music, I feel like I’m getting away with something by not getting in bed!

2 Likes