The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

It’s a lot of fun. Mom’s side really likes to party together
Lots of food and drink etc

The Mexico side does not celebrate thanksgiving so only talking about my Mom’s family

1 Like

I just put a reminder note on my computer to move my turkey breast from the freezer to the fridge to defrost.
I’m just cooking a 6 pound turkey breast, so I think I’ll move it on Tuesday, let it defrost Tuesday and Wednesday and into my large crock pot early Thursday morning.
I’ve got everything staged for Thanksgiving with the exception of dessert. I need to check with my little “Hungry Onion” and see what she wants. I might try to talk her into an apple cobbler, easy to make and I have apples in the freezer.

1 Like

I know this sounds strange, but have you tried any of the Walmart(s)??
Personally, I’ve found the one on Chapparral and Pima (Scottsdale) to have a wider variety of (basically) everything.

1 Like

Reading everyone’s plans and getting a little jealous/excited. We will be heading to my parents where my mom will be making the traditional menu: overcooked turkey, jarred gravy, Stove Top stuffing, mashed potatoes, microwaved frozen corn, and store bought pies. She does make fresh cranberry sauce. I love my mother but she is not a cook. I might offer to bring a salad “I have some greens that just won’t last while we are gone” Our house is mid reno and I don’t want to even attempt anything in our apartment kitchen. Looking forward to seeing my brother and his family- that’s the big draw for me

13 Likes

!!! Never even thought about it! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Rats, I was in that area yesterday as I was returning from Cave Creek. I didn’t realize you were in the AZ desert. A Phoeniciano? I am in the Land of No Return - Sun City. :slight_smile:

Taking this dry brine with me on a plane to ATL!
I believe ut was from

But i don’t see the "recipe " anymore.

4 Likes

Oh my, jarred gravy. Maybe you could get enough juice from the turkey before it boils away to make some good gravy. That would help a lot for me.

3 Likes

Hope you can find some family and other food cheer in the holiday.
How did you develop an interest in cooking?

1 Like

I wish I could. I know where I’m not wanted- she would be so offended.

I’ve learned to use cranberry sauce as a gravy sub.

4 Likes

I’m anticipating next year in my brand new and improved home kitchen (double ovens!) 6 burner cook top! A proper vent hood! A designated beverage only fridge and I get to host!

I got into cooking out of necessity in my college apartment, and it just grew. I also have a bit of a competitive streak with myself where I want to recreated a dish or make something I’ve had better. I’m also rather budget aware and I hate paying for food I could make myself better and cheaper

8 Likes

“I love my mother but she is not a cook”

Surely this must be what inspires many. My mother was not a great cook, but she introduced me to so much good eating. What else is a child to do but to learn cook for oneself?

This dry brine better reflects the proportion of salt to herbs.

6 Likes

I’m in Fountain Hills, but wander into Scottsdale from time to time when I need to go to Home Depot or Lowes. I combine trips and swing by that Walmart. (Right off the 101 at the Chapparral Exit)

2 Likes

We’ll be overnight guests at my husband’s sister/brother-in-law. She says the local family are doing all the cooking - we just need to drive 5 hours to get there, weather permitting. I’ll probably take a hostess gift of a loaf or 2 of my beer bread that they like, and some cinnamon-spiced pecans.

10 Likes

Wow, a new kitchen. I’m envious.

1 Like

When the drain pipe under the sink corroded out the same week a drawer front fell off in my hand it was time to listen to the house and give it the love it needs. We are also replacing all the galvanized pipes as well. That’s not as exciting as new appliances but an investment fork the future

5 Likes

@DebAZ I had to run some errands this morning, so I stopped by Walmart (Chapparral Exit off the 101) and they had duck. It was in a box and the picture looked like the breast area. The description said “partially de-boned”, the tag above the bin said $2.97/pound, but it was hard to determine which tags aligned with which bins. There were 10 boxes this morning. Hope this helps!!

3 Likes

Do you mean to cut it into two, rather than just a flat turkey? Not sure if that is any better for cooking, but I’ll cut the legs/thighs off and then keep the breast flat. This is due to the size of my oven and tray. A 14lb bird just fit. I worry a 17lb bird (came Weds) will be too long. I’m hoping to reposition them to avoid a fatty mess in the oven. The legs I’ll try to squeeze on both sides of the breast.

I used to have room for aromatics and and veggies on the sides, so I will move more under the bird. Rather than a rack, I use cut onions in quarters or halves to prop the torso up. It ends with less ‘roastiness’, but the veggies absorb some turkey juices and are delicious!

5 Likes

Nice. I switched to dry brine a few years ago and never looked back. No more lugging turkeys in coolers in and out, or god forbid finding a pot and room in the fridge, if it was too warm outside!

Your brine is similar to mine. I do like to also mix in some brown sugar too, and thyme if I still have some fresh from my garden. I also finally harvested my lemon grass. I’m debating if I should throw that into the brine mix or the compound butter.

My butter is more chopped rosemary, grated fresh garlic, lemon zest again. I refrigerate into a long roll (nickel sized) so I can cut little coins and slide that under various parts of the skin.

3 Likes

That sounds like a good idea. I haven’t seen the bird, the oven, not the available tray yet.

If it doesn’t fit the available trays, maybe a large foil pan from the grocery store will do the trick (over a sheet pan so it doesn’t buckle).

2 Likes