The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

That sounds better than the too-sweet marshmallow version. But we eat a lot of sweet potatoes, especially summers and holidays, and weekends if the daughters are home. The vegetarian daughter uses them in a lot of Indian dishes.

They also like mixed roasted veggies but I’ve never tried to roast rutabaga. When I boil it for the mash, it takes a loooong time to get a potato-ish softness. About an hour on low simmer. How long does it take when roasting - do you have to start it ahead of the carrots and potatoes? Or do they bake at a similar rate?

1 Like

I grew up with roast goose for Christmas dinner.

1 Like

To streamline things, I bought a butterball turkey breast roast this year. It’s boneless. I’ve never worked with one before, typically having bought whole organic birds. Suggestions on the best way to flavor/prep/cook it? I’ll have to check the package about whether it’s already brined. Assume it is. If it isn’t, I’ll dry brine it for a couple, three days beforehand. Thanks!

I cut the rutabaga into small pieces, 1/2 to 3/4 inch and they bake at the same rate as the carrots and sweets (those I cut slightly larger). The rutabaga doesn’t get potato soft, but is cooked and has a little “tooth” to it, if that makes sense. 30 to 40 mins at 375F, coated with olive oil and a little salt/pepper, maybe a bit longer if the pan is really full should do it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you have to juggle health issues and differences of opinion while you do most/all of the work! You are a generous soul. That said, and for different reasons, I have in the past years been doing the same as you. Mostly because I didn’t want to be overwhelmed on Thur, but I find myself doing so much prep on T and W that there is little to do on Th but the turkey… My cran relish is always done and in the freezer at least a week before. My stuffing gets made on a Tuesday and put in a pyrex to bake on Thur while the turkey rests. I will prep any green veg typically on Tues as well, and I always give my husband the mashed potatoes to handle. I do my pie/tart/dessert on Wed. So really for me, Th is making turkey, gravy, and roasting or heating the already prepped things.

6 Likes

Asking for a friend lol :slight_smile:

I’m going to investigate this! I posted below that I bought a boneless breast “roast” for the first time and wasn’t quite sure what to do with it.

1 Like

Agree, this is what I usually do (the Serious Eats dry brine method). If the turkey cooperates, it goes in the roaster on the rack - admittedly a bit awkward. Or I put it on a rimmed baking sheet, maybe elevated on a rack. The technique is pretty forgiving.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I buy whole ducks at Restaurant Depot, but if you don’t have access to a restaurant supply I agree they can be hard to find. Have you tried Costco? My locations sometimes have them whole in the frozen section for a fairly reasonable price ($3-4/lb). My regular grocery store had them today for an eye-popping $8/lb - crazy, but since they don’t normally carry them I’m sure it’s a risk for them to stock for the holiday.

1 Like

Update: I cannot find any ducks in the Phoenix area. Have now tried at 7 grocery stores (4 different chains - Fryes, Safeway, Albertsons, Bashas). The websites for those locations all state that ducks are available. I don’t want to pay the price of ordering through a butcher shop.

I feinted after seeing the cheapest goose was over $80.00.

Thank you for the suggestions. I had not heard of Restuarant Depot before. I just looked it up and there is one close by! A pilgrimage is being planned. I shall look for other goodies as well.

The Costco stores on the east coast had ducks; the ones in Phoenix don’t in the stores, but I can order 6 ducks for $180 on sale. $6/pound.

BTW, the meat counter guys in all the stores I tried said that they received the ducks for the holidays as usual but sold out in 1 day. Multiple ducks bought by a few customers.

Before you go, just know that Restaurant Depot requires a membership - it’s free to join, but you need to have a business tax ID. They occasionally do guest events or you might be able to talk them into a day pass, but I just wanted to make sure you knew the score if you don’t qualify.

4 Likes

Today at Costco in South San Francisco there were fresh Butterball turkeys for only .99 lb. Safeway is selling them for $3.49 lb.

Hi kind folks, I have two questions:

On our Thanksgiving menu, I hope to make brigadeiros and key lime pie, neither of which I have made before.

1. I asked for some hints in making brigadeiros here:
    Doughs and desserts that are not baked - #91 by Rasam
    especially any ways of ensuring that the mixture sets up well after being cooked for the given amount of time on the stovetop, then cooled. Does anyone have any helpful experience here to share?

2. I want to make key lime pie with a gingersnap crust and condensed milk in the filling. There seem to be two choices in the filling: main ingredients (key lime juice, condensed milk, egg yolks) plus plain Greek yogurt or main ingredients and no Greek yogurt.
    Here are the two recipes I am considering:
    With Greek Yogurt: https://www.sandravalvassori.com/key-lime-pie/

Without Greek Yogurt: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/our-favorite-key-lime-pie-56389684
(only I will use gingersnaps in the crust rather than graham crackers)

The first recipe calls for 23-25 minutes bake time after putting in the filling, and the second calls for 15 minutes bake time.

I would like to use Greek Yogurt, but don’t want to overbake the filling. Does anyone have wisdom here?

1 Like

This thread might help.

1 Like

Have you tried any Asian grocery stores?

I checked the current price for a goose at an upscale butcher shop in Toronto (Olliffe). $144 Canadian, which is around $120 US. $119.99 Cdn at Sanagans.

Does Instacart operate in your area?

I find it a helpful search engine or filter for what is actually in stock at a given store (you don’t have to buy via the site, but if it’s not in stock it usually doesn’t show up).

(For example this search shows Aldi, Hmart, and Sprouts as having whole duck in stock.)

1 Like

Thanksgiving is a big family affair. I have a very large family. My fathers side all live in Mexico City, my Moms are all in the US. Both sides are big

Thanksgivings have always been big as far back as I can remember but as the family has grown Thanksgiving has been around 100 people the last few years. We rent out a garden club that can house us all with a big yard on the Hillsborough river. Every family is responsible for making food and chipping in for set up and clean up. This year the assessment is $100/ family. Not to bad considering

11 Likes

Wow! :astonished: That sounds interesting!

What do folks in Mexico City think of the idea of Thanksgiving? Is it the United States version?

We ( my mom and in laws) have a first gen Carribean, and now we have a Turkish ( DIL) situation going on.

My dad’s family has been doing it at least since ancestry.com “slave records”.