The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

I buy whole ducks at Restaurant Depot, but if you don’t have access to a restaurant supply I agree they can be hard to find. Have you tried Costco? My locations sometimes have them whole in the frozen section for a fairly reasonable price ($3-4/lb). My regular grocery store had them today for an eye-popping $8/lb - crazy, but since they don’t normally carry them I’m sure it’s a risk for them to stock for the holiday.

1 Like

Update: I cannot find any ducks in the Phoenix area. Have now tried at 7 grocery stores (4 different chains - Fryes, Safeway, Albertsons, Bashas). The websites for those locations all state that ducks are available. I don’t want to pay the price of ordering through a butcher shop.

I feinted after seeing the cheapest goose was over $80.00.

Thank you for the suggestions. I had not heard of Restuarant Depot before. I just looked it up and there is one close by! A pilgrimage is being planned. I shall look for other goodies as well.

The Costco stores on the east coast had ducks; the ones in Phoenix don’t in the stores, but I can order 6 ducks for $180 on sale. $6/pound.

BTW, the meat counter guys in all the stores I tried said that they received the ducks for the holidays as usual but sold out in 1 day. Multiple ducks bought by a few customers.

Before you go, just know that Restaurant Depot requires a membership - it’s free to join, but you need to have a business tax ID. They occasionally do guest events or you might be able to talk them into a day pass, but I just wanted to make sure you knew the score if you don’t qualify.

4 Likes

Today at Costco in South San Francisco there were fresh Butterball turkeys for only .99 lb. Safeway is selling them for $3.49 lb.

Hi kind folks, I have two questions:

On our Thanksgiving menu, I hope to make brigadeiros and key lime pie, neither of which I have made before.

1. I asked for some hints in making brigadeiros here:
    Doughs and desserts that are not baked - #91 by Rasam
    especially any ways of ensuring that the mixture sets up well after being cooked for the given amount of time on the stovetop, then cooled. Does anyone have any helpful experience here to share?

2. I want to make key lime pie with a gingersnap crust and condensed milk in the filling. There seem to be two choices in the filling: main ingredients (key lime juice, condensed milk, egg yolks) plus plain Greek yogurt or main ingredients and no Greek yogurt.
    Here are the two recipes I am considering:
    With Greek Yogurt: https://www.sandravalvassori.com/key-lime-pie/

Without Greek Yogurt: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/our-favorite-key-lime-pie-56389684
(only I will use gingersnaps in the crust rather than graham crackers)

The first recipe calls for 23-25 minutes bake time after putting in the filling, and the second calls for 15 minutes bake time.

I would like to use Greek Yogurt, but don’t want to overbake the filling. Does anyone have wisdom here?

1 Like

This thread might help.

1 Like

Have you tried any Asian grocery stores?

I checked the current price for a goose at an upscale butcher shop in Toronto (Olliffe). $144 Canadian, which is around $120 US. $119.99 Cdn at Sanagans.

Does Instacart operate in your area?

I find it a helpful search engine or filter for what is actually in stock at a given store (you don’t have to buy via the site, but if it’s not in stock it usually doesn’t show up).

(For example this search shows Aldi, Hmart, and Sprouts as having whole duck in stock.)

1 Like

Thanksgiving is a big family affair. I have a very large family. My fathers side all live in Mexico City, my Moms are all in the US. Both sides are big

Thanksgivings have always been big as far back as I can remember but as the family has grown Thanksgiving has been around 100 people the last few years. We rent out a garden club that can house us all with a big yard on the Hillsborough river. Every family is responsible for making food and chipping in for set up and clean up. This year the assessment is $100/ family. Not to bad considering

11 Likes

Wow! :astonished: That sounds interesting!

What do folks in Mexico City think of the idea of Thanksgiving? Is it the United States version?

We ( my mom and in laws) have a first gen Carribean, and now we have a Turkish ( DIL) situation going on.

My dad’s family has been doing it at least since ancestry.com “slave records”.

It’s a lot of fun. Mom’s side really likes to party together
Lots of food and drink etc

The Mexico side does not celebrate thanksgiving so only talking about my Mom’s family

1 Like

I just put a reminder note on my computer to move my turkey breast from the freezer to the fridge to defrost.
I’m just cooking a 6 pound turkey breast, so I think I’ll move it on Tuesday, let it defrost Tuesday and Wednesday and into my large crock pot early Thursday morning.
I’ve got everything staged for Thanksgiving with the exception of dessert. I need to check with my little “Hungry Onion” and see what she wants. I might try to talk her into an apple cobbler, easy to make and I have apples in the freezer.

1 Like

I know this sounds strange, but have you tried any of the Walmart(s)??
Personally, I’ve found the one on Chapparral and Pima (Scottsdale) to have a wider variety of (basically) everything.

1 Like

Reading everyone’s plans and getting a little jealous/excited. We will be heading to my parents where my mom will be making the traditional menu: overcooked turkey, jarred gravy, Stove Top stuffing, mashed potatoes, microwaved frozen corn, and store bought pies. She does make fresh cranberry sauce. I love my mother but she is not a cook. I might offer to bring a salad “I have some greens that just won’t last while we are gone” Our house is mid reno and I don’t want to even attempt anything in our apartment kitchen. Looking forward to seeing my brother and his family- that’s the big draw for me

13 Likes

!!! Never even thought about it! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Rats, I was in that area yesterday as I was returning from Cave Creek. I didn’t realize you were in the AZ desert. A Phoeniciano? I am in the Land of No Return - Sun City. :slight_smile:

Taking this dry brine with me on a plane to ATL!
I believe ut was from

But i don’t see the "recipe " anymore.

4 Likes

Oh my, jarred gravy. Maybe you could get enough juice from the turkey before it boils away to make some good gravy. That would help a lot for me.

3 Likes

Hope you can find some family and other food cheer in the holiday.
How did you develop an interest in cooking?

1 Like

I wish I could. I know where I’m not wanted- she would be so offended.

I’ve learned to use cranberry sauce as a gravy sub.

4 Likes