Thanksgiving Leftovers, 2023

I saved the liquid from the canned sweet potatoes and made a cake out of it. I used brown sugar, as I thought that would go better with the sweet potato liquid. I whipped up a quick vanilla butter cream frosting and Sunshine enjoyed the first piece after dinner.

12 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Will try this again!
Turkey Tikka Masala. DH marinated the leftovers overnight in yogurt and spices. This morning while he had onions sauteing, he put the turkey under the broiler for about 5-8 minutes. Added that and a jar of sauce to the onions and simmered for about 20 minutes, during which he made a salsa and then added some of the tomato-lime-cilantro liquid to the masala pot. We had it for lunch with pita bread. Was very good, a nice spicy bite to it and much better than turkey soup.

13 Likes

In an effort to create fewer leftovers, I have tragically created more. My stuffing strata is too big to eat all at once! Made a big dent in the blue cheese dressing, though, with the buffalo shrimp, and that’s not nothing.

13 Likes

After doing Part Deux of the traditional thing AND having tired of turkey sandwiches, do you finish it off, or what?

In my case this year, it was… Turkey Tetrazzini. Although I’d had many commercial versions of TT, I’d never actually tried to make this dish from scratch. Wahine found a recipe that sounded interesting, and Carcass 2023 made exceptionally dark and rich stock, so I though Why Not? I ended up thinking it was not as trite or boring as I feared. I might do this again.

So what interesting did you do with T-day leftovers? Bacalao and cranberry pizza?

3 Likes

Right after Cdn Thanksgiving. I used some leftover turkey thigh in a turkey tom kha, and the carcass in a turkey avgolemono soup.

A couple weeks ago, I used a Spice Trader korma kit with some leftover frozen boneless turkey breast from Cdn Thanksgiving this year, which we liked a lot.

I thought about adding some leftover cranberry sauce to some beets I was making into a vegetarian borscht, but I didn’t do it.

1 Like

TT was the thing I most looked forward to after TG. Might be the most stand-out meal of my youth. Love the stuff, prolly cuz I only got it once per year.

2 Likes

I didn’t do anything fancy with the leftovers. We had two full dinners (turkey, Brussels sprouts, stuffing, and gravy), and with the carcass I’m making jook (congee) today. I’ll probably have the last of the stuffing for lunch today, and then we’ll be done with the Thanksgiving spread.

5 Likes

No turkey this year, but my favorites for leftovers are 1) French onion soup using turkey stock plus BTB beef base plus leftover gravy. 2) turkey croquettes with chopped turkey and a little stuffing included in the binder. I sautee them in patties or logs, and include leftover gravy in the cream sauce. If there are creamed onions, they get pureed and used in the binder.

4 Likes

I only roasted a turkey tenderloin wrapped in bacon so very little leftovers. I had a second full meal and the next morning for breakfast I made a mashed potato, dressing, bacon cake with an over easy egg. It was very good. I have a nub of turkey left which will become a turkey salad sandwich.

2 Likes

Our typicals are sandwiches and most years (but not always), I make a turkey noodle soup.

But turkey tet is a tradition here every year for almost the last 30 years (plus I make TT any time I grill or roast a turkey other times of the year).

I usually use a recipe from Sedaker’s “365 Ways To Cook Chicken”, which was a wedding gift to my wife from a family friend who despaired of her ever learning to cook. But I was trying to make the TT while on brain overload and couldn’t remember which cookbook it was in, so I just googled up this here fat bomb of a recipe:

Except I used linguine instead of spaghetti, and about 1.25 pounds of mushroom, and doubled the garlic.

Fat bomb - besides the butter, it uses 1 1/3 cups half-n-half, 2 cups shredded mozzarella, and a half pound of cream cheese. And a bit of parm on top near the end.

It was really good. Different than usual, and the “fat bomb” aspect of it I had been a bit worried about, but it wasn’t really noticeable. My typical (Sedaker’s) uses 2 cups of regular milk, no mozz, no cream cheese - just a bit of parm on top - so it has a lot less fat. It does call for sliced water chestnuts, which this recipe did not (and I didn’t have any to hand, anyway), so I kind of missed having that random “wet crunch” that they provide.

4 Likes

That looks good! How large is that baking pan?

My inaugural TT used penne rigate.

It’s a big fat PITA but try to get **fresh water chestnuts ** sometime from a Chinese market. Easier to peel with a bird’s beak knife.

I love to add to my stuffing!

1 Like

Thanks! Pan is 9x13 in.

I haven’t tried penne or any tubular pasta for this dish. Usually the linguine, sometimes fettucine, sometimes spaghetti.

No reason not to, I suppose. I do use penne or mostaccioli for a lasagna-like dish. All the same ingredients as a meat-sauce lasagna except the sheet pasta. The pasta gets tossed in a ricotta-egg-milk mixture then the dish is layered pretty much like making lasagna.

Except I put shredded cheese with each layering step (since the ricotta/egg is already on the pasta), whereas many lasagnas only call for cheese at the top. And, by popular demand, at least one of the cheese layers is shredded Monterey Jack instead of all using mozz. I thought I had another brick of mozz one time but didn’t, so I subbed in a MJ layer and it was a bigger hit.

It looked bigger!

Thanks, I’ve never seen fresh before and had to look them up. Serious Eats has an article extolling their virtues over “the flavor-sapped canned variety”.

If using in a baked savory dish, besides peeling (the SE article recommended a Y-peeler), do you need to pre-cook or parboil before they go into the dish?

I just made soup, nothing fancy. From my braised turkey thighs, I simmered the bones in the braising liquid and some homemade chicken stock. Added the leftover turkey meat, diced, white beans, and cavatappi pasta.

1 Like

Probably weird angle. I was trying to get the cut side to show so I was kind of shooting low and across it.

1 Like

I don’t care for Y peelers, I like straight ones but I would only use a knife on these, serrated Victoronix or bird’s beak.

Buy close to using cause might turn brown in spots. I usually slice once horizontally. No Cooking just mix into your stuffing and then bake as usual, water chestnuts will stay crunchy.

It’s a pain to peel but for me it’s worth the effort.

1 Like

I ate some leftover cranberry sauce with take-out Mary Brown’s fried chicken tonight. I would do it again.

1 Like