Thanksgiving for two?

For anyone considering a wet brine, I like Alton Brown’s recipe but with a few modifications. First of all whole peppercorns and allspice aren’t going to add much flavor. Period. So I crush them up. Also I think apple cider, maple syrup and things like that are kind of an expensive waste. Molasses works much better and is cheaper! I also don’t mind a dry brined bird either. Think I’m going to order a pre-brined bird from my green market. Good quality turkey and no hassling with trying to find a brining vessel and large food grade plastic bags.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve switched to dry brines a few years ago. No longer need to find space in my fridge for a huge pot, or having to hope it’s cold enough to brine my turkey outside in a cooler. The only downside is not getting as much of cooking juices for your gravy.

2 Likes

@corvette_johnny
“How about a duck? I like to smoke ducks on Thanksgiving.”

Do they give you a good buzz?

6 Likes

Actually I cannot say I have only had one person to share Thanksgiving with, ever, and I am grateful for that.
Maybe the day has come to volunteer at a facility and help out cooking the meal for others, maybe just serving…and then you will be surrounded by some people who are happy you thought about them…Heck, the time you don’t spend cooking a big meal for others at home can be spent for a very gratifying day.

6 Likes

Like Billy Clinton, I don’t inhale
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I do especially since I just retired and no longer have the Sword of Domocles drug test looming over my pristine neck.:sunglasses::sunglasses:

It’s good to be free again.:rofl:

4 Likes

I “especially” need some of this on my Thanksgiving table. I think. Mmmmm. Hmmmm.
Pringles’ Friendsgiving Turducken Kit.

1 Like

I have just done the same thing…

2 Likes

Yes. I have noticed that before. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

“Thanksgiving Made Small(er): A Kickass Menu for Two to Five”- Serious Eats

2 Likes

PS…I did it the two years after my wife passed and found it hugely comforting and have continued with my new GF…and although we go the night before and are helpers…it gives something to bond over and a knowing that we tried to make a difference… great fun to cook in a large kitchen, and cut up 100 heads of cabbage…

3 Likes

That sounds perfect!

1 Like

And I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t even want to think about it.

1 Like

Life goes on and we all continue to move forward and wake up to a new day!
Thank you!

4 Likes

Beautiful. It’s a good thing to do with the young folk too. Let them see not everyone has it like them.

Congrats on the new gal @PHREDDY. :heart:

1 Like

Thank you…I was very luck to meet someone from my past after 47 years… The aftermath has been really great…

6 Likes

Same with my sweet dad - he started seeing someone he used to work with decades ago, and it’s a lovely thing to see them laugh and truly enjoy each other. But @PHREDDY, think he has a couple or 3 decades on you.

3 Likes

You know, even though I live in the state of Washington, I just can’t find rolling papers big enough - does anyone know if parchment would work? :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Har har!

My best Bud in high school moved to Oregon in the 70’s and I guess the law back then was like a traffic ticket meanwhile back in Texas, felony 2-life. He couldn’t get any papers so I had to mail him some.

Thanksgiving for two? I just retired from my retail job and this will be my second normal Thanksgiving and Christmas in the last 23 years and I plan on enjoying it.

We’ll keep it simple with a twelve pound turkey that I’m cooking. We’ll get some cornbread dressing and gravy from Luby’s Cafeteria, better than I can make, sweet potatoes from a soul food place and some Greek style green beans that I’ll make.

3 Likes