Thanksgiving 2023

@Desert-Dan This may already have been posted (I haven’t read through the whole thread) but thought I’d link a recipe I saved from the old Chowhound that everyone sang praises of both for ease of execution and for outcome in case it’s helpful.

The Amazing Five-Hour Roast Duck
Source: The Vinegar Factory newsletter
Cook: Mindy Heiferling
Reprinted in: The 150 Best American Recipes

You can salt the bird a day ahead and air out (like dry brining turkey or chicken / aka Judy bird), vary the temp (Food 52 has one at 250F cooked for a bit longer), add water to the pan, vary the flavor profile, or just stick with the basic version for a first try.

(Roast potatoes in some of the saved duck fat while the duck rests, and you’ll never want them done a different way :D)

4 Likes

Your first picture is exactly like the first peeler I ever bought. In college. I think a lot of the “improved” models … well… aren’t.

3 Likes

I used to have one with a slot at the end to french green beans!

1 Like

@NJChicaa I know people have strong feelings on peeling potatoes before vs after, but with 10# to do, you may want to try one of the easy-peel methods that boil or steam the potatoes whole and peel after.

Two such methods that work for me:
(1) Boil or steam (pressure cooker / instant pot is easy and quick) or microwave potatoes whole (stab each a few times to speed it up), dump into a bowl of cold tap water, then hold each potato and gently twist by turning hands in opposite directions – peel slides off. (You can also do this under running water, so the water is colder for each potato, but I don’t like to waste that much water.)

(2) Mark a thin line / shallow cut around the equator of each potato before boiling/steaming. Do the same as above. Slightly easier in that the skin is already evenly broken and getting it to twist off takes less effort, but that effort goes into the prep at the beginning.

2 Likes

I love the Serious Eats turkey instructions/recipe. The excised backbone isn’t roasted, but goes into a saucepan with the neck, giblets, and aromatics to turn chicken broth into magical gravy broth.

I think I’m going to start laying in the groundwork for a spatchcocked Judy bird.
(trying to head off a repeat disaster but I may already be too late)

3 Likes

Spatchcocked Judy Bird is the name of my new band

8 Likes

Or one of each? Kenji, meet Judy…

I always thought Triple Witching is a great name!

Please refer to last year’s disaster. One edible bird and I’ll be grateful. :rofl:

3 Likes

If you want to make sure it’s done right, you have to do it yourself. If you’re invited elsewhere, just make a small turkey to keep at home for your own enjoyment.

I don’t like turkey enough. Roast chicken for me at home.

2 Likes

Yes, I too prefer chicken but now and then white meat from a properly roasted turkey is very nice. (I know you prefer dark meat)

I have a Rex. You can pull it whatever direction you like.

Thanks… I printed it off.

Yes, I prefer dark i general but well cooked white meat is good too. Thanksgiving is the only time I eat turkey, though I prefer ground turkey to ground chicken the rest of the year, go figure!

(We had a beautifully done turkey the last year before the pandemic — done the Judy bird way. Last year was a bit of a blip on the record :joy: — my aunt is a fabulous cook otherwise)

1 Like

oh my. That 2022 report was something…I suspect Thanksgiving 2023 will be better in more than one way! Good luck and best wishes1

This is my Holy Grail turkey method. The first time I did it we were astounded at the flavor in the meat and the extra crisp to the skin. I put the herb/salt mix on when it was frozen and let then spatchcocked it once thawed. It will be delicious!

2 Likes

I bought a turkey breast roast (frozen) from Costco last year that I quite liked. It was boneless. I sort of butterflied it, stuffed it and roasted it. It was pretty juicy, considering it was white meat. And cooked super quick.

3 Likes

I did that last year, against the advice of those who wanted a traditional presentation, and “those” want it the same way this year. It did take longer than expected.