Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

The weather here changed from a dry and balmy 70 +, to 50 with a wet and whipping rain midday!

Hope that means they keep the power on.

I hope so too @shrinkrap! Evidently Oregon is really taking a hit right now. I was edified by H, that we should miss the worst of it, but to expect blustery conditions and rain. It should make for a cozy stay inside the house holiday though.

1 Like

Via my friend from Pennsylvania.
Never heard of it before.

1 Like

I lived in Union County, north of Berks, for several years in the mid 80s and never heard of it either.

1 Like

Our menu has been decided, and cooking begins today. We will enjoy the following:

Wet brined turkey, stuffed with dried bread cubes and homemade, unsweetened cornbread. All the usual stuff, sausage, and ala @biondanonima, fresh cremini mushrooms, fresh shiitakes, and some dried porcini mushrooms with their strained soaking juices.

Garlic mashed potatoes w/ rich giblet gravy (no liver)
Savory mashed orange sweet potatoes with jerk spices
Home made green bean casserole
Homemade cranberry sauce of some sort
Homemade yeast pan rolls

Pies for dessert, all homemade to include:
Double crust apple pie w/combo of honey crisp and Braeburn apples
Key Lime Pie with graham or shortbread crust, with coconut and macadamia nuts
Lemon pie, made with Rose’s lemon marmalade among other things
Individual pumpkin panna cottas with a pecan, brûlée topping

To start:

Pumpkin martinis made with home infused pumpkin vodka with vanilla and spices, Bailey’s Irish Cream, Goldschlagger’s and ButterShots. (Very rich, so small sizes and maybe limited to 2 max)
Prosecco
Very light appetizers and crudités
Wine and sparkling water with dinner.

Hope we’ll be able to manage kitchen cleanup, and roll into the family room afterwards! Happy :turkey: everyone, no matter how you may observe it. Hope it’s enjoyable for all!

8 Likes

Well we made it to TX before the storms craziness, so that is great. Did all our shopping ($250 - always curious what others spend - maybe should be a thread all by itself).

But MIL fell last night and so today SO is spending the day in the ER to have her checked out while I cook (all fine there we hope but not a great thing at 90). But definite possibility that Tday will be adjusted to eating at the senior living center. Maybe we will bring the meal there or maybe we will eat their meal. Sweet potatoes roasting. Stock simmering. Veggies for stuffing sautéed. Pies next. Thankfully SO’s brother lives here, so if we cancel he can take the full meal home with him.

Gotta love Tday. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiley:

10 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for posting - just had to throw 2 in the freezer last night due to over-ambitious plans. They are the larger variety though. May give it a whirl when we run out of pie.

2 Likes

Today seems to be the day I’m finding Thanksgiving food traditions I knew nothing about.
:smiley:

2 Likes

Yikes! I hope she is okay. No fun anytime, but especially on a holiday!

2 Likes

The plan is set, and I am excited to get going. I am working now, and will need to wait till later in the day to really start cooking. But here it is:
Dry brined turkey and gravy. I almost always toss in a bunch of onions and garlic beneath the bird, as I have an allium fiend in the house. Bon Appetit wild mushroom and leek stuffing, baked in a dish. Roasted yellow and sweet potatoes with rosemary. Shredded brussel sprouts with bacon and a cider gastrique. Cran orange relish. Pumpkin pie in a graham crust (except with butternut squash) and an apple crostata. Numnum.

5 Likes

We travel to Ojai tomorrow. Today my niece will come over to help make my two assigned dishes - my grandmother’s dressing and chicken and noodles. Don’t ask me why we have chicken and noodles with turkey, but it’s always been that way and there would be a revolt if we stopped. Dressing is baked outside the bird and has onion, celery, sage sausage, walnuts, apricots, cheese bread croutons and herb stuffing mix. A few eggs and stock then baked. Noodles are homemade egg noddles cooked in a rich stock with a few bits of chicken tossed in.

4 Likes

@bbqboy

I would not have any problem embracing this as a side! :yum:

1 Like

Hi @Rooster!

I meant to post this sooner. November is cray cray for us.

I’ve been checking off the recipes that interest me on the Things to do with Canned Tuna list.

I’d make it again but with some changes. Just because it’s called mousse be careful not to over-mousse. I puréed too long and it was a bit gritty. Of course, Tuna brand is key. The Tonnino Tuna in oil has the best flavor of the “gourmet” brands and the Pole Line (Whole Foods) Tuna isn’t bad, maybe not firm enough to handle purée. But honestly my favorite Tuna for flavor and texture is still Geisha Tuna from the regular old grocery store. Oh and I drizzled a bit of Balsamic Vinegar because I felt like it was missing something. :thinking:

Btw… Your holiday sounds like quite the excursion!

Happy Thanksgiving, Onions!

7 Likes

Our oven is in the fritz. So no turkey this year. Already took it out of the freezer, cannot refreeze, so just gave it to my neighbor.
All the other stuff is cooktop, so we’ll have ribeyes instead of turkey and all the rest of the menu remains the same. This is WFD tonight as a night-before-Thanksgiving meal. Cooked in my new Instant Pot I bought on sale, online, two days ago. They turned out absolutely incredible.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

9 Likes

Sounds delicious!

1 Like

This morning, I went to add brown sugar to one of my recipes and it was harder than a rock. Who’d I call? Amazon fresh! Within two hours I had my brown sugar, no lines, no parking hassles, no having to leave my cooking to go to the store.
I just started using them… and I am a fan!

1 Like

They are. I am really excited! Who knows… now that I have a pressure/slow cooker, I may turn into a good cook😁

2 Likes

Awww man! Bummer for you (maybe; I’d choose rib eye over turkey ANY day), but good for them.

2 Likes

I think you can put a piece piece of bread in a bag with the hard brown sugar and it will soften up. If you have bread, which I usually don’t.

4 Likes