Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

Russet, off
Yukon, on
Red, partial peel
Purple, partial peel
Baby potatoes, on

5 Likes

Last year I baked mine (Yukon Gold) with the skins on, then riced them. SO EASY. The texture was excellent and since there was less moisture than with boiled potatoes, the skins didn’t clog the ricer as badly - they were easily and quickly fished out with a fork. I will never go back to boiling.

3 Likes

Well, the baking of yukon gold’s in very interesting! How long did you bake them for? I don’t have the oven space to do it for Thanksgiving, but maybe for another less oven intense time in the future.

2 Likes

I think I did 45 mins or so at 375? I just threw them in while other things were baking and poked them occasionally to see when they were soft in the center.

1 Like

Also got going here for T-day over the weekend, which makes me feel so accomplished! Shopping, check. Turkey in a dry brine, check. Lots of chicken stock made for stuffing, gravy, etc, check. Cranberry orange relish, check. Bread baked for stuffing, check. Woohoo!

6 Likes

Scored some turkey thighs today, but still no tails! Does anyone in the SF Bay area see them anywhere?

HO; thanks for letting me stash my plans here!

I will “Judy bird” my (turkey) breasts tonight,
Roast necks and wings, soak pigeon peas for peas and rice (no; NOT rice and peas!), make stock and bake cornbread for stuffing , and dry bread overnight tommorow.
I’ll make green beans with olive oil and tomato…
Fasoulia? Lathera? loobyeh? zeytinagli? For braised Green beans with Tomatoes and Garlic
… assemble stuffing, and let breasts (again, turkey) dry overnight Wednesday.

This will probably interrupted by a planned power outage, so there’s that.

1 Like

Did you ask for the tails at butcher counters? Whole Foods in Berkeley (Gilman) didn’t have any turkey parts in the cases, but I asked them if they had anything I could use for stock. They found about four pounds of backs and necks in the back room. Berkeley Bowl West might have the tails somewhere.

2 Likes

I adore this.

4 Likes

Score! I will ask.

I plopped mine in the water bath tonight - fingers crossed it turns out as well as yours! I will pull it on Wednesday morning and then briefly reheat it on Thursday before throwing it under the broiler to crisp.

1 Like

Zeytinyağlı taze fasülye
loobyeh
Lathera
Fasoulia bi Zeit

2 Likes

Good, thanks!

Plans have changed. I’ll now be going to my sister’s MIL house. Not so much in the mood, nor do I expect to stay overly long. But I’ll bring wine.

3 Likes

Your posts always make me smile. You have a great sense of humor - something that I have the feeling will enable you to overcome anything.

1 Like

Thanksgiving prep starts today since I have work and a crazy day tomorrow.

5 Likes

All the best to you and yours Greg. Many of your meals inspire!

R

2 Likes

Same to you! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 Like

The toaster oven gave up so off to BBB we went to secure all ovens are a go!

Have a wonderfully delicious Thanksgiving all! Our full day of feasting is going to rock so I’m signing off til Monday. Thxs for your encouragement and lessons!

Rooster

10 Likes

I do love buying turkey wings after the Thanksgiving rush. The parts are fairly cheap as they try to use up their inventories.

2 Likes

I occasionally see them on sale in my usual stores but not always - living in white bread suburbia, it can be difficult to find anything other than boneless skinless fat-free yada yada. I miss living in Queens for that reason! I took my whole turkey apart last night so now I have neck, back, wings, tail and anything else extraneous sitting in the fridge waiting to become stock tomorrow. Ducks too. I’m a little hesitant to combine the birds in one stockpot though because DH finds duck a bit gamey - he likes the meat, but I’m worried the stock might be too much for him. Anyone done this?

1 Like