Thanksgiving 2017!

Ack! So many choices…!! Hmm, the store i went to didn’t have all of them but maybe i should get the masaman one if that’s also vegetarian… i’ll poke around online probably easier to just order it

The masaman flavor is very good and not at all spicy. You might also like the yellow “karee” flavor since you prefer mild. Amazon carries many of their flavors at great prices!

1 Like

Thanksgiving is over but we are still enjoying leftovers - as usual, we had WAY too much food, especially dessert. The guest who was supposed to bring A pie brought THREE, and the guest who brought trifle made a dish large enough to feed 20, at least! Winners this year were the curry butternut squash, sous vide turkey thighs, Parker house rolls, the gravy (apparently my stock was extra great this year, no idea why!) and the gin and tonic pie.

I was intrigued by this pie when my friend initially mentioned it and it definitely outdid my expectations! He used this recipe: http://www.nomoremrnicepie.com/recipes/gin-and-tonic-dog-days-pie The mascarpone-based filling was light and creamy, not too sweet, and the gin gave it a really complex flavor. My only complaint was that it really didn’t feel seasonal - IMO it’s more of a spring/summer dessert - but it was wonderful.

Anyway, everything else was good, but those were the highlights. No real disasters other than that my POS range crapped out several times while I was cooking - two burners just stopped working intermittently, and the oven refused to get above 375 or so because I had the audacity to put more than one thing in it. So…I did a little black Friday shopping and got a great deal on a new GE Cafe range with a double oven and 22K BTU power burner. This was my second Thanksgiving on this crap range and I finally had enough!

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I order from amazon with alarming frequency…

That looks awesome! To me, mushrooms are so luxurious and festive. I’m going to make M. Clark’s mushroom casserole for xmas (hopefully by then, my brother’s fancy-a$$ gas range will be connected and up-and-running…they weren’t connected to gas which I didn’t think even existed in Westchester County).

BTW we’re having the SK mushroom bourgignon for dinner and it was fine in the fridge (I was a little worried about it sitting at 20C for 4 days but it seems as good as new). Better than freezing, I’m sure.

2 Likes

Oh geez - I didn’t look upthread. I was planning on making this very recipe for xmas. I’m grateful for the pointers - thanks!

3 Likes

Do you have the recipe for the mushroom/wild rice casserole? It looks awsome. I’m always looking for interesting recipes for our vegetarian friends.h

Feel free to DM me if you want details or have questions. Or post them here. I cooked the wild rice and prepped all the veggies the night before and it still took me about 90 minutes to put it all together in the morning, thank goodness my cousin was willing to be on dish patrol. And you need a GINORMOUS skillet to fit it all and that is without increasing the mushrooms, spinach and wild rice which I will most certainly do next time.

1 Like

I asked and he didn’t even follow a proper recipe…! He’s just a fantastic cook and was following some vague instruction himself…

I was remiss with TurkeyDay pictures. Not exactly sure what happened, but perhaps the answer is obvious– chaos. So, I have pictures of the cold items only, almost the whole buffet [had to crop the grand scallion out], and my kid’s beautiful desserts.

Cranberry-Orange Compote

The room is ready for humans. I have finally figured out how to launder the family Damask linens and we are using them everyday now.

IMG_1424
There is a turkey in there, but you don’t get to see him.

Winter salad with endive, frisée, pears, walnuts, blue cheese and pomegranate seeds with a creamy dressing

Green bean and Orange salad with almond oil and toasted almonds

Dessert Bar: Ginger Shortbread Cookie Bars with a Ginger Frosting, Apple Crisp, Pumpkin Cheese Cake, and Cinnamon Pie. The Cinnamon Pie was not a success, but look at her crust details!

8 Likes

Worth the wait. An inspirational feast!

I always forget to look for other threads other than the WFD one, so didn’t see this one until @smtucker posted a link on the WFD thread.

The makings of dinner was brought to my mom’s, and I cooked it there. (She doesn’t drive or travel well anymore at age 87+.) Got the requisite oven rack burn on my arm trying to wrestle the bird out of her small apartment oven, but dinner made up for it.

Our Thanksgiving meal is always (mostly) the same: turkey, mashed potatoes, mashed squash (my sister forgot the maple syrup, and I think the ground ginger!), green beans with frizzled shallots (which my sister called “worms”) and/or toasted almonds, glazed carrots, homemade cranberry-orange relish, homemade gravy, homemade pumpkin pie and purchased blueberry pie. Both sister and I forgot the whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream. S’ok. Didn’t need it.

5 Likes

Thanks. I guess I’ll experiment on the basis of the NYT recipe listed here. But what are the colorful decorations on the top of the casserole? It looks like some are dried apple slices, but the others?

The decorations on top were Terra root vegetable chips and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Thanks!