Texas food & weather

Sometimes it can be better to just hide.

2 Likes

That sounds like my brother and his roomie. They went to school just down the road in San Marcos.

The mothers would send me up on occasion with “Care” packages of food. The main college commodities of beer and weed were not included. :crazy_face: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A friend of mine is in the restaurant business and he threw away his proteins but he warned me that some places will be serving thawed re-frozen product.

1 Like

There’s a fine line … the problem is how hard it can be to know for sure whether that line was crossed in the past, especially in cases where the power went off for a period of time and then back on.

If the power never came back on AND you know when it went out, a quick check of the thermometer (and the clock) is easy to do.

1 Like

The power in Houston was out 3-4 days in many areas. I spoke with my restaurant friend again and he advised not eating out for a few days until the deliveries cycle through.

There is a hurricane evacuation tip that lets you know if the freezer melted. Place a quarter on a cup of frozen water and when you come back and the quarter is on the bottom the food is bad.

5 Likes

I always remember I should have done that, after it’s too late. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They’re giving out tortillas among other items at the Houston Food Bank.

How Texan! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

They’ll certainly be welcomed - I expect they’re also one answer to “What can we get lots of, right away?”

3 Likes

As for seeing a line, forward to about 5:03:

3 Likes

Like rats on a sinking ship. Notice that at least one person has withdrawn their application to be part of this wonderful entity. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2 Likes

I find it difficult to imagine sane ways to blame these people. They don’t run the power companies.

It would make actual sense for the utility to be under direct control of the legislature. I guess that isn’t in the cards.

Not hard at all with the dime trick.

Both our freezers always have ice with a dime on top.

Whoops beaten to the punch.

Don’t they set the rates? That’s managing the power company. We went through that in Maryland where the rates didn’t leave any room for line right-of-way maintenance.

1 Like

dup

I was proposing blaming the actual board of directors of the power company, rather than some regulators.

My point is that the hands of the corporate board and the senior management are tied by the regulators. If there isn’t enough money and they don’t have the power (ha!) to adjust rates then it is not their fault. That is the problem we had here in Maryland, since fixed by a governor with his head screwed on right.

3 Likes

We were out of power for 50 hours. I haven’t been to the store yet except for a brief run at Trader Joe’s. I thought everyone stocked in the vittles before the vortex. What a nightmare that was. My face is chapped.

5 Likes

[faking surprise] Gee, I wonder where all that money could have gone? It couldn’t have gone to the people who own the company, that’s for sure - cause they promised they’d be extra honest this time! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Though it can’t compare to the physical suffering Texans and their animals are going through, the rest of the country will be affected by higher food prices due to lost livestock and crops. I heard a report today about fields of cilantro and broccoli that first drooped and are now yellow and flattened. Growers are debating whether to try going through and salvaging what little harvest remains, or whether the cost of labor, processing, and packaging would negate the resulting income.

7 Likes