Texas food & weather

Notice I put food in the title.to keep this food related. I’m sure you’re all stocked up down there., I know people in other states think what’s the big deal but WE know it’s a big deal. Snow/ice is here now and by the sounds of things might be heading towards Houston. You guys stay safe down there you hear me.:slightly_smiling_face::heart:

3 Likes

Snow and ice IS a big deal in a place where it isn’t an ordinary occurrence and there are many people not used to living with it.

Texans, please remember that no matter how comfortable you are in that kind of conditions, too often the next guy is an idiot - and his tires are bad too.

2 Likes

Take care on the road and stock up on brisket! :cold_face:

Foodfunny017

3 Likes

Well, we got between 6-8” here. No tire tracks on the road out front yet. First time we’ve ever experienced rolling power outages in this area. 10 minutes on and 15 off. Yes, I’ve been timing it.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Snow is why I left the middle of the country.
I like looking up at it in the mountains while I’m in the valley.

3 Likes

We’re not going anywhere until this stuff melts and that will be days. Our stairs are covered with ice and snow.

2 Likes

It could be worse.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KLfSPljypgInIA_CpXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=hurricane+ike+galveston+texas&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s&guce_referrer=a

Hurricane Ike 2008.

3 Likes

I hope you are staying warm during these unusual conditions in Texas. I lived in Dallas briefly in 1970’s. It’s cold here in NJ so I made my own version of tofu stew (Soondubu jigae in Korean) to warm me up. I used the ingredients from my pantry/fridge and came up with soft tofu, jarred kimchi, shitake mushrooms, scallions, dashi powder, fish sauce, sesame oil and brussels sprouts. Not truly authentic but it sure warmed me to the core.

4 Likes

No laws in your county that when it snows you have to finish shovelling the sidewalks in front of your property by the next morning? :grin:

That would be a city matter here in the states, but snow and ice and freezing temperatures are not in the South Texas playbook. :slight_smile:

I did a quick search and came up with no laws for Harris County/Houston. Being Texas snow shooting did come up. I’m ready. “Hey you kids! Get off my snow!” :crazy_face:

1 Like

No power since early morning but lucky to have gas fireplace and stove. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, grilled cheese for lunch, Trader Joe’s frozen pho can be heated on stove for dinner. I just need this to be over. I’m cold, bored, and miserable. Keeping water running so far.

3 Likes

I bought some wine yesterday and a lady a little younger than me, still no spring chicken, asked if I had enough to keep warm.

Me thinks I got hit on.

To quote Jack Warden as Lester in the great movie “Shampoo” “Am I right or am I right?”

2 Likes
4 Likes

I saw George Strait’s first show at the Astrodome during THE RODEO. He filled in for Eddie Rabbit who called in sick. We used to watch George Strait at the Cheatham Street Warehouse honky tonk in San Marcos.

I knew this covid was for real when they canceled THE RODEO last March and the hundreds of millions of dollars it brings in.

Oh yeah, the Wifeacita caught the covid back then but she’s good.

2 Likes

The outdoor ones are the most likely victims…

Did winter jackets fly out the door in no time?

The one time we saw George Strait perform, he opened for Emmylou Harris,

5 Likes

One more:

4 Likes

After almost 40 years here the pipes froze up. BUT there’s plenty of “water” in the yard to heat up for flushing.:slightly_smiling_face: We were one of the”selected communities” to participate in the rolling outage thing. Half hour on and half hour off. My husband called the electric company today and lit into them and it’s been on ever since. With more bad weather on the way.tonight we’ll see how that goes. Baked ham slice and roasted asparagus for dinner tonight. We were passing through Amarillo( there’s really not much therre​:slightly_smiling_face:) and woke up the next morning to snow in April) Love George Strait’s Amarillo By Morning.

And that skyline down in Houston caught some flack as did the one in Dallas. City leaders…

3 Likes