Tell Me About Dae Woo Industries Copper Pots and Pans

I just scored some copper pots and pans on an online auction. The photos weren’t much. On receiving them, I found some of the handles with a small (1 cm diameter) imprint saying in tiny type “Dae Woo Industries Made in Korea.”

The copper is lined with a dull gray metal, which I presume to be tin. They all feel heavy for their size. The tops are also lined with dull gray metal. My Google searching has not given me much information, but I suspect 3 pots, 3 pans, and 3 tops (6", 8", and 10") for less than $40 leaves me ahead of the game no matter what.

Any thoughts?

You did not say how thick the copper might be.

I have no micrometer, so I cannot tell, but I doubt it is very thick, maybe 2 mm? I could not find a thickness for these pots on Google.

As in several unexpected countries, Korea has a rich tradition of coppersmithing. Daewoo was a major chaeboi (conglomerate from 1967 until a spectacular flameout in 1997. I was unaware that their industrial prowess extended to copper cookware. The Korean marks I am aware of are ODI and another whose name escapes me, neither of which are renowned for quality.

Despite this, copper cookware’s quality is defined by it’s design, features and–above all–it’s thickness. If Daewoo’s pans meet or approach the standards by which all pans are judged, they’re food pans.

I’d be interested in seeing photos.

I’ll try for pictures:

These are the best images from the auction listing.
Edit: I can’t resize them.

Unfortunately, these photos can’t show much, even blown up to the max on my monitor.

Let’s go at it another way. Can you accurately weigh and measure a pan (without cover)? Or compare the rim thickness with a coin?

Weights and measures I can do. The edge of the pot is clearly tapered to a thin edge and so is thinner than the walls of the pot as guessed by using my fingers as the crudest of micrometers.

There are 3 covered pots, diameterxheightxweight:
5"(22.6cm)x3 1/8" (7.7cm) x 365 grams
6 5/8" (16.8 cm) x 2" (5cm) x 489 grams
7 1/2" (19 cm) x 4" (10.5 cm) x880 grams

And 3 pans:
10" (25.4 cm) x 2 1/4 " (5.5 cm) x 901g
8" (20 cm) x 1 5/8" (4cm) x 456g
6" (15 cm) x 1 1/8" (3cm) x 258g

All measurements approximate. Weights include handles, of course, but not pot tops.

Pictures if they post:

I think this worked.

My 6 1/2 inch pot (cast handle) weighs 1700 grams. 10 inch skillet (cast brass handle) 2200 gms. This suggests the copper on yours is a bit thin. I think you will be OK to cook with these, just use low heat . Those handles will get very hot.
FWIW, Rachielle Custom Sinks (rachiele.com) makes copper diffuser plates that will help with thinner copper pots/pans - or any pans, for that matter.