Taylor and Ng Preseasoned Woks

I started most of my early woks with the Wokshop. I love the wokshop staffs and still have my single block chopping block (very proud of).
That being said, their woks are functional, but they are down to the middle woks. Their so called hammered woks, are simply cosmetic hammered wok, so I won’t recommend those. Oh to answer your specific question, no, I don’t believe they carry Yamada woks. Good luck

2 Likes

I enjoy reading this discussion. I see that Taylor & Ng woks are sold by Wayfair.com. Most have reviews of 3.5 to 4 out of 5. Some reviewers seem very harsh about the quality and the service. Any thoughts about this?

BTW, I found from restaurant supply websites about Vollrath’s carbon steel woks. They are made in USA. Has anybody used their cookware?

"Any thoughts about this? – You always have people complain. It is a matter if the complaints are useful to you or not. I once read a very negative review of a restaurant because the customer could not find a vegetarian/vegan option. Probably very useful for others, but not useful for me. I have also read people gave a nasty that their carbon steel wok has rusted after every cleaning (apparently she probably thought it is a stainless steel wok). I do find the Taylor & Ng on the expensive side without anything extra to offer.

“Vollrath’s carbon steel woks” – Never used it. Look ok. Keep in mind that it leans on the thinner side with a 18 gauge thick. If you need a slightly thicker wok and made in USA is important to you, the Wokshop sells 14 gauge Made in USA wok. These are their flagshp woks and they were the one I started out.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/carbon-steel-wok-with-metal-side-handle/
https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/wok-two-wood-spool-handles-round-flat-bottom/

If by service, you mean customer service, I called them a couple weeks ago to inquire when they would be getting more stock in and the guy was very nice and helpful, we talked for a good 5-10 minutes and he answered all my questions and didn’t seem to be in a hurry to hang up.

I will say though it seems they are a pretty small US based operation, they don’t list any hours on their website and I had to call multiple times until someone picked up. Also even if it doesn’t say backordered on their website it could be 2-3 weeks before things ship even if they are in stock (maybe just due to the pandemic right now).

That chopping block is a piece of art! What kind of wood is it? I understand that it’s a thick-cut tree trunk, but it’s beautiful

Thanks. I bought it a long time ago from San Francisco Wokshop. It is described as pinewood: … A thick slice/cut of raw pine wood from the California gold country (Auburn/Placerville area). …

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t look like pine, it looks more exotic than that. Nice catch!

It has been almost two years, and they are still selling the ZhenSanHuan hand hammered wok for ~$300 on Amazon (as well as eBay)

Nothing against spending good money for high quality cookware. I am not just sure the surge of price. These hand hammered woks were at most $50 before that Chinese TV documentary show.

For what it is worth, I was at a Chinese inventory market in LA about a year ago, and saw these hand hammered woks. Thick, polish, good looking, not inexpensive. (I think they were ~$150).

3 Likes

Great Post! Thanks for keeping us informed, Chem.

Ray

ZhenSanHuan woks.
Whoa.
Chem, I too am so glad I purchased those hand hammered woks from China so many years ago. I remember balking at the shipping price, and then it took months to arrive. But they have gone on to become some of the most valued pieces of cookware I own, right up there with Griswold cast iron skillets. I hate to sound like my parents, but the old saying is true…“they dont make them like they used to”…and if they do, they cost a fortune.

Registered an account so I can reply here :slight_smile:

I have two Yamada woks (30cm 1.2mm and 27cm 1.6mm) and one Yamada frying pan (26cm 2.3mm).

I highly recommend them.

The machine hammered surface is actually super smooth. Unliked regular woks which have visible “rings” of machined surface. Smoother = easier toss.

Seems like hand hammered woks are not really smooth, so I’ll be a bit skeptical on them.

1 Like

Hand hammered woks are definitely not smooth. In fact, they are proud to be not smooth. Tamada woks are very good. Congratulation. Share some photos when you have time.

I actually ended up getting one of these woks but ended up selling it to a friend due to non-use. I paid $210 + tax for it iirc.

It performed great and was built like a tank, but the high entry cost, ongoing maintenance routine, all paired with cooking a lot less stir-fry… it didn’t make a lot of sense to hold on to it.

1 Like

Forgot to reply to you. I am glad you like your hand hammered wok too. I look at mine as partially a tool and partially a hand made art.

$300 for a wok? A wok?

Chem…I agree. I take some comfort, some degree of pleasure knowing that I am using a tool that was made by hand. For that same reason, I treasure my Blu Skillet, and hand made kitchen knives. They are in fact, functional art.

1 Like

Is that an actual question? It is the going price at this moment.
They are sold a little cheaper in China. Ranging from $140 US dollar to $430

1 Like

Albeit rhetorical, indeed it is. Enjoy!