Tater Tots (Belmar to Asbury Park)

Sounds perfectly wonderful to me. Those proletarian tots getting the chance of a lifetime to dip their toes in a bougie bearnaise pool.

Though, what the hell do I know? I make nachos with lobster a couple times a year.

1 Like

Yeah, we call them Pommes Croquettes Idahoise when we do them with the Beouf like that.

Itā€™s like that French store, Target, where the second T is silent.

1 Like

Lunch today:

Gotta say tots and rootbeer slushee were delish. Tots were crispy outside, creamy inside.

However, while they say the sonic dog is all beef, I believe it to be at least 25 % rubber and at least some hedgehog.

I bet it would bounce forever if you dropped it.

3 Likes

You are a far braver man than me.

1 Like

Viking, this post made me bust out laughing! I obviously need to hit a Sonicā€¦ FOR TOTS

Gotta say I enjoy the Sonic burger more than fivebguys around hereā€¦tots prob help that.

1 Like

I like sonic during their half price drink specials, the milkshakes are not bad at all for under 2 bucks.

1 Like

Crispy outside creamy inside Tater tits as part of the triple treat tonight.

1 Like

So which Gershwin duet includes the following lines:

ā€œHere comes my hot tottieā€ and

ā€œOver my dead bodyā€ā€¦

I had a night like that under the AP Boardwalk during the summer of '89.

Even better for breakfast:

Wind speed 15 knots, barometer 30 inches and falling.

I put a little key lime juice in the OJ to get ready for the storm.

1 Like

Does anybody have some good tater tit recipes out there?

I know itā€™s difficult because they are pretty near Gods perfect food on their own.

Faced with a choice between manna and tots in the Sinai, Iā€™ll bet 8 of 10 Israelites would have gone for the tots.

2 Likes

Was looking for another thread and stumbled upon this one. While not in Monmouth County I was at Steak 85 in New Brunswick on Saturday night (delicious tomahawk rib eye $55, blue cheese crusted) and they have tots on their menu as a side dish. They are truffle tots and my company for the evening had them, while they were good, I like my truffle(s) flavor in moderation and this was a little too truffle heavy for my liking. Interesting combo thoughā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m with youā€¦if Iā€™m eating something thatā€™s ā€˜truffled,ā€™ I want TRUFFLES involved! :wink:

And last weekend I discovered that Brickwall in AP has them :grin:

1 Like

I suggest you google 2-4 dithiapentane:

Thereā€™s a reason why you donā€™t like it too strong, most truffle oil sold in the US is pure applied chemistry courtesy of IFF on Route 36 in Keansburg, diluted with a little EVO.

No Italian pigs were harmed or involved in the manufacture.

The manufactured ā€œtruffleā€ oil sold in this country is strongly flavored on purpose, as thatā€™s what consumers are looking for.

Iā€™m sorry if this was disappointing to you Notters, as I know you love the stuff and I have been holding my peace.

1 Like

Btw, I am not a big truffle fan, whether black or white and Iā€™ve had both fresh.

To me itā€™s kind of overpowering in its funk, although I do like a touch of the real deal in a duxelles or mushroom reduction in combination with other fungi.

My favorite fungus is the chanterelles or pfifferlinge, which has a much more delicate flavor:

These on their own picked fresh from the woods and sauteed in a little butter have to be one of the most delicious things on earth.

2 Likes

I made this chart to demonstrate my understanding of your link regarding Dithiapentane, I think this sums it up

2 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious!!!

Ok, put simply, most truffle oil is flavoured with fake smelly stuff made from petroleum. There are no real truffles in it.

2 Likes