Tater Tots (Belmar to Asbury Park)

Stewart’s in Hazlet/Keansburg is still open. Okay greasy food and good root beer. We go there once in awhile for fat sandwiches witch are usually pretty good,

Don’t bother with delivery from them. That has been a train wreck every time.

The one time I had the sweet potato tots at Bond Street they were tooth ache inducing sweet…

So I was watching America’s test kitchen last night and they actually had a recipe for making your own tater tots:

How crazy is that?

Know what’s craaaazy? Friends had us over for a “barely cooking” dinner last night and when I arrived there was a sheet pan Norge stove with…tater tots!! And onion rings. :grin: Sometimes the universe works in mysterious ways!

1 Like

So you got your fix?

At least the start of it… There are some really good ones in NNJ at Marie’s Chicken Joint in (of all places) Chatham so if I can’t hit one of the spots down here I’ll try to get there when I’m up for work.

Do you have a preference when it comes to frozen tots?

I kind of like McCains or Trader Joes.

Also, do you fry or do the baking sheet?

1 Like

My friends did the baking sheet…on the rare occasions when I make them that’s what I do too. Good to know TJ’s has good ones!

Was at Jack’s in WLB for lunch today and … they have tots!

I should start another thread about wings. Even after all this time and three name changes, Jack’s still has the best wings in NJ! Maybe the best non-smoked ribs as well.

if you start the night there hopefully you head down and find yourself at the G spot…for the gyros you sickos…

Offsides!

It is fundamentally incorrect to start a detour down Wings Alley in a thread that starts out on Tater Tit Lane. These are major topics that deserve our serious attention.

Wings demand their own thread, and we should start one.

1 Like

We’ll just never know if that was intentional or an actual typo…

Well it started out as a typo, but then I liked it so much I just left it in there.

2 Likes

If you ever want to step up your game on the baking sheet tots, put the pan in the oven with a good dollop of bacon grease and let it get hot before you add the tots. Toss them in and stir a bit to distribute the bacon fat, and bake as usual. Best tots EVER.

3 Likes

I do the same with EVO, rub a layer on the pan and preheat a little to keep my tots from sticking.

2 Likes

Edie’s Luncheonette in Little Silver serves them as the potato side for breakfast, last I knew.

Not in your short geographic sphere, nor in time to satisfy your craving, but the Committed Pig in Manasquan has very good TTs. Hash brown patties too!

It’s still good “back pocket” info, @MZ --thanks!!

We just had my tween neice in town for a spell. Consequently, I learned a bit about the CP menu. I also learned that it’s not the most advisable place to eat before going directly to the beach for a forty swim.

1 Like

I’m thinking tots with a NY strip and bearnaise for dinner tonight. Tots are really good with bearnaise and beouf.

2 Likes