Taste of Sha Xian — Fujian food in San Mateo

Taste of Sha Xian, apparently part of the Fujian-based Shaxian Snacks/Delicacies chain with tens of thousands of locations worldwide, just opened its first SFBA location in San Mateo.

Fuzhounese immigrants to the US have primarily settled in the northeast and this has left a conspicuous absence of Fuzhounese food in the SFBA. Fujian-born chefs have been cooking here for years, but to my knowledge there’s been no specific venue for Fuzhounese food. Some exceptions would be specialties that became part of Taiwanese or Southeast Asia (i.e., Hokkien) cuisines, an occasional Buddha Jumps Over the Wall, or some scattered dishes on Cantonese menus.

Cruising through some NYC editions of the chain, Wikipedia, and one article, I understand that menus widely vary across locations. Anyone eaten there yet? Compared to non-Fujian-based renditions, are there notable differences in the wontons, peanut sauce noodles, broth or fish balls ingredients/texture?

3 Likes

I’m disappointed they don’t have gluttonous rice dumplings (福建肉粽子).
When I lived in Hong Kong briefly I ate at a Fujian snack shop semi-frequently and loved those things. They had a different flavor and consistency then the standard Cantonese Lo Mai Gai.