Tangents or thread drift

Right. And it’s everyone’s choice to engage such people. Or not :wink:

1 Like

I have an old phone and it’s not smart. It is used only when I am out and need to contact someone or on the rare occasion when the few friends and family members who have the number are desperate to contact me. Sure these friends and family rib me a bit and it did come in handy last year when mom was in the hospital and then home with me with a very bad case of Covid. What can I say . . . it suits my needs.

6 Likes

And if you don’t want to see the pot stirring, HO offers the option of blocking that person temporarily or permanently . You can’t see their posts, but they can still see yours and respond. It’s a perfect form of Ignore if you can’t just scroll on by.

4 Likes

I’d suggested that elsewhere a while ago. The same issue comes up on Facebook all the time. People who annoy others for one reason or another are everywhere (shakes fist). I myself have occasionally muted or unfollowed people who make me feel like my brain is going to melt.

Quite obviously, that solution is not everyone’s cuppa :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

There are always folks who love to stir the pot and watch it boil. The drama is what they live for :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Absolutely.

This was a nice refresher.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/07/trolls-internet-tiktok-social-media/

2 Likes

So, basically the article agrees with our previous suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Basically.

Grazie mille.

Joshua (NORAD’S supercomputer from “War Games” in 1973) was very smart (after learning through all iterations of those war games).

JOSHUA: GREETINGS PROFESSOR FALKEN

FALKEN: HELLO JOSHUA

JOSHUA: STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY WINNING
MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

3 Likes

Motorcycles but the underlying facts are the same.
We really are a dinosaur medium.

3 Likes

Interesting read. Agreed with the article, important information get lost with time, as external links do not work due to address changes or website redesign. For photos, HO uses Discourse and it automatically downloads all the external hosted photos to the HO server, I guess the cost of hosting the site is getting more and more expansive as photos are higher resolutions now.

6 Likes

I was just comparing my old phone pics from 5 years ago to current ones. The overall quality is pretty amazing - especially with regard to food, and I’m pretty awful at taking pics.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve posted there so far. Maybe there’s nothing on my mind.

2 Likes

Enter with caution :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Or, maybe you’re so wise you don’t document it on the Internet. :slightly_smiling_face: (Sincerely- I am moving back in that direction)

2 Likes

Yes, let’s go with that!

2 Likes

psst: Chowhound

4 Likes

Come to the dark side

1 Like

Harters! Yah I do not think having a smart phone would be good for me. Do you remember me from chowhound? I was givemecarbs and you helped a lot when a gardening post went horribly wrong. Thanks again for that.

1 Like

Was thinking about the whole unexpected thing today while I was driving around doing errands and came up with an analogy. My radio is haunted and plays everything. I could listen to music cds or a playlist or something but I adore just turning the radio on and listening to what they play. I have three stations I click around with and every time it is a delightful surprise. Sometimes the selections are downright eerie. Love it and the What’s On Your Mind board too. Want to say to each his or her own but that sounds so stale. It’s late here. Shrug.