Tamarind!

I usually have tamarind paste in the cupboard for sourness in Asian dishes. And I’ve currently got a jar of tamarind chutney which works on, say, chicken sandwiches.

2 Likes

I have to laugh as I remember my husband’s asking for a tamarindo from a helados cart. The vendor cocked his head and told him that Anglo’s NEVER order sour tamarindos. They’re our favorite!

5 Likes

Tamarindo paste is very popular amongst Cubans & Dominicans served with a variety of bland fresh white cheeses.

Also Guava paste as well.

3 Likes

Is that an ice or an ice cream?

A popsicle.

Thank you!
Look at these beauties!

10 Likes

Yes, those!

1 Like

Also know as Paletas

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve seen those, and that’s going on the list to either buy or make.

I guess I’ve seen helados, peletas, and what seem like snow cone carts. I guess they all fall under “frozen treats”?

I also stumbled on ice cream! I have not seen that before.

1 Like

Decades ago I ordered tamarindo from a shave ice (snow cone) truck in West Tampa (largelyCuban and Puerto Rican populations on that side of town) and having the guy ask this blue eyed the three times if I really wanted that flavor…same thing, he was shocked that an angla would order it! (It was delicious by the way)

4 Likes

Also used in middle eastern cooking as well

1 Like

Recently read about tamarind caramel, can’t remember where. Hope to make it soon.

3 Likes

That does sound good! Report back if try it.

1 Like

As well as most Tropical Locales: Southeast Asia, India (not sure about Africa though)

Thank you! The first link says it is indigenous to tropical Africa, so I would think so. I’m going to look.

Here in Floeida we can buy it at supermarkets. I just saw it at my produce co-op this afternoon

Do you mean the fresh pods? Do they label them? What I buy in the Mexican markets just say “tamarind” and they seem dry, but it seems like there is more to know.

Also, are the known to have an …ahem…laxative effect?

I don’t know about GI effects…I’ve never heard of that.

Yes, the dried pods are available - sometimes in bulk, sometimes in a box.

Swasthi’s method is what we do with whole tamarind.

At the indian store, the pods have been shelled and compacted into a rectangle.

I still remember tasting fresh tamarind for the first time, right off a tree on a road trip as a child - pucker up!

(I mostly buy the ready paste now - so easy.)

1 Like

Good to know Thanks!