Takeout and Delivery in [Toronto]

Scollard Variety used to serve breakfast and souvlaki. Is Mamakas at the Scollard Variety site? Scollard Variety had been owned by a Greek couple. Haven’t been since 2019, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it closed over the past 3 years.

I used to work in a gallery on Scollard a long time ago.

Thanks for mentioning Souvla, and thanks for your other recs.

Have you tried Sofia? The brunch looks good to me. It reminds me of Buca’s brunch 4-6 years ago. https://sofiayorkville.com/menus/.

I noticed Miznon. 4.8 rating on Google, which is not common!

I will have to try Bhoj at some point. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

I am not a fan of the restaurants by CK so tend to avoid them. Brunch I enjoy Clay in Yorkville and for splurge Cafe Boulud prix fix on the weekend.
Planta is OK I guess.
Aiming to try the Mamakas Prix Fix brunch over the weekend lets see as enjoy their food.

2 Likes

I hear you. I typically avoid those restaurants, too, but was considering making an exception for Sofia.

I found Clay okay last summer. I shared maybe 5 dishes with a friend.

I used to do the Café Boulud brunch maybe 4 times a year up until 2019, but I haven’t been in 3 1/2 years, and haven’t gotten take-out. Café Boulud got rid of the duck confit, egg and potato dish I used to order. I also like the lemon ricotta pancakes (weekday breakfast only) and the eggs Benedict.https://www.cafeboulud.com/toronto/menus/#weekend-brunch

I still haven’t tried Planta. Just doesn’t float my boat.

Maybe I will see if Le Paradis on Bedford north of Davenport will do take-out. I haven’t been in ages. https://www.leparadis.com/

1 Like

Oh Le Paradis have been meaning to try them ever since I moved to the area but I guess the lost years due to COVID don’t count. Do share where you end up on the takeout.

2 Likes

Will do!

I ended up getting take-out from Planta on Queen after the opera. Mushroom udon (25.50), crispy gyoza ($14.75) , mushroom bao ($6.25) and bang bang broccoli ($14.75).

I would definitely get the udon and gyoza again. I was pleasantly surprised. Somewhat different menu on Queen than in Yorkville, although the dishes I ordered are available at both locations.

The CO2 inside was around 1200 near the coat check/ hostess stand at 10 pm tonight. Not great, but could be much worse.

2 Likes

Primrose Bagel on Oakwood. I had the Lox & Sås, my DC had the Stanton.

There are picnic tables set up outside Primrose Bagel. No heaters.

3 Likes

Empanadas and alfarjores from La Morena on St Clair W west of Dufferin. I’ll try more next time.

I also want to try food at La Tienda on St Clair W near Dufferin.

Takeout from So Famous in the Annex, which is cheaper if you log into their site. Taiwanese basil chicken and fried noodles.

3 Likes

Update at Eataly: The hot table is already closed by 6 pm on Sundays.
I ended up getting refrigerated chicken valdostana ($11.90, my new favourite schnitzel-to go!- much rather buy this and reheat at home than go for fast food ) , pasta alla norcina ($8.90), the lemon Brussels sprout salad ($10.90) and Tuscan beans ($7.90). All good.These 4 dishes are enough for 2 meals for me.

In case you’re concerned about CO2, the C02 reading at Eataly from 6- 6:20 pm last night (a Sunday, the store was moderately busy) was 1200ish. I wear a mask when the reading is above 800.

Check the dates on the packages, especially for the combo plates. Some of the same dishes are packed the day before. I look for the most recent ones.

Take-out chicken, pork cutlet, piri piri shrimp, potatoes, vegetables and desserts from Piri Piri on Dupont tonight. Very happy with the meal. I will be back. I ordered online in advance. The online order went through on my end, and I received an emailed and text confirmation, but the order wasn’t received on their end, which also happened at another spot last week.

Next time, I will just order there. They can get meals ready in 10-15 minutes. Parking behind the restaurant, which is nice.

1 Like

Great cevapi and burek from Sarajevo Grill near Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke, North of the Gardiner, east of the 427, off The East Mall.

The cevapi take 10 minutes to prepare. There’s a hot table with several types of burek, roasted meat, cabbage rolls and veal gulyas (goulash).
10 piece cevapi for $13 before tax . A 10 piece cevapi is enough for 2 people or 2 meals.

Burek is by weight. 6 burek cost around $11.

Imported juices

2 Likes
2 Likes

This was the reason we recently tried Grateful Chicken. My wife also went to Mandy’s, but they were out of the smoked meat salad so she tried a hoisin duck one (it was good, but not remarkable). We had already noticed Naija Jollof in our neighbourhood and are hoping to try it soon. Boukan and Puerto Bravo were also on our list to try.

1 Like

Tried miznon today though it seems to geared towards take out I ended up eating there. For starters I think their tables aren’t designed for the food they serve big trays and small tables aren’t a good combo
Here is a play by play
Hummus pretty good and priced at a bizarrely high level
Small cauliflower decent
Chicken pita I didn’t try and the feedback is middling as very dry apparently
Ratatouille decent I enjoy my eggplant nowadays so enjoyed it more than I would normally
Hmm 80$ roughly without tips I think one would expect that at proper sit in place but not here

3 Likes

Someone on Reddit also mentioned the small portions. Looks like other online reviews are mediocre at best.

What would you say is the best place for chicken kabob or kofte near Yorkville/ The Annex? Zaad has been my go-to. I’ve stopped visiting Fet Zun after a couple overpriced and mediocre experiences.

I liked that Silk Road Kabob at 736 Bay that you recommended.

I still haven’t visited Amal, not that keen to visit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FoodToronto/comments/1148fjt/toronto_life_whats_on_the_menu_at_miznon_canadas/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

Yeah Silk Road is pretty good at that price point and naan & kebab is decent for a last min grab and go. I have been to Amal a couple of times and they are geared towards a see and be seen crowd IMO.
If you don’t mind trekking up towards Yonge/ St Clair. Shattar Abbas is worth the trek and really good IMO. I shared my experience there while dinning in and takeout. Definitely worth the upcharge IMO.

3 Likes

80 bucks you say. Well I guess somebody’s gotta pay their Yorkville rent. Yikes!

Brunch takeout from Ohiru at 370 College. Tiny spot on College near Augusta, completely packed at 1 pm on a Sunday.

My Benny was $18.50 before tax. Pretty good.

Sisters & Co on Dundas W is more generous with the Hollandaise.

2 Likes

We hadn’t been to Superpoint much since they took our favourite pasta off the menu. But we recently noticed that the beef cheek reginette had returned and since we had to venture to Ossington and Queen for other purposes, we decided to do a take out dinner. Somewhat disappointingly, most dishes were over-salted. We hope this represents an off-night rather than a new baseline.

Lucia salad - fennel, chicory, radicchio, olives, orange, bocconcini, red onion - a delicious winter salad, with a lovely herb-rich dressing. Not too salty.

Spicy Vodka pizza - rose vodka sauce, pancetta, basil, red onion - a good pizza overall, but a bit salty.

Beef cheek reginette - very soft beef cheek, a velvet-y sauce from all the collagen, but also a bit salty. Noodles were a little more cooked than al dente, but that could be a take out effect.

Tagliatelle with braised lamb, gorgonzola, black kale - similarly very well-braised meat, but a bit too salty.

1 Like

I wonder if you could ask for less salt , on a future take-out order? I might start doing that at a couple places. Piano Piano is also very salty.

1 Like