Tail O' the Pup

Some great news…hope you can still get the “Boston Celtic” with baked beans and onions on top…

LA Legend Tail O’ the Pup Is Serving Hot Dogs Once Again - Eater LA

(opens July 20)

5 Likes

Excellent. Glad to see this kind of history revived. Hope they’ll be playing some Mr. Mojo Risin as I eat a 1946 dog, chili fries, a root beer, and end with a soft serve.

1 Like

Rock on brother.

Doors location aside, personally I’m partial to Led Zeppelin tho! (hell, their debauchery a few blocks away at what’s now the Andaz)

led zeppelin - Hot Dog - In Through the Out Door - YouTube

Recollections Of The Riot House – davidlatta

2 Likes

@BradFord, I’ve been wanting to check out this spot where Stevie Wonder and David Bowie and others recorded - now you can get a $25 cocktail probably…still i’m intrigued.

No shortage of original restaurants and bars with rock history nearby too…

A ROCK & ROLL TOURIST’S GUIDE TO LOS ANGELES (pleasekillme.com)

Los Angeles Area Rock N Roll Restaurants And Bars (rockandrollroadmap.com)

1 Like

“OUR RESTAURANT IS A CELEBRATION OF ITALIAN CUISINE WITH A MODERN AUSTRALIAN INFLUENCE THAT UTILIZES THE ABUNDANCE OF CALIFORNIAN PRODUCE TO ENSURE THE HIGHEST QUALITY. BOOKINGS ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE OR VIA CONTACT DETAILS BELOW.”
That’s pretty funny

1 Like

Haha, yes, I think I’d stick to olives. lemon twists and marischino cherries. The 71 Studio bar which is opened in limited fashion seems pretty cool tho.

Not exactly Capitol Studios but still pretty impressive list of acts that have worked there…

STEVIE WONDER
RINGO STARR
BONNIE RAITT
DAVID BOWIE
JIM KELTNER
JOHN BONHAM
CHEAP TRICK
TOM PETTY
MOTLEY CRUE
THE KNACK
BILLY IDOL
BUDDY MILES
CHAKA KAHN & RUFUS
ROSE ROYCE
JUAN GABRIEL
ROSIO DURCAL
NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY
HORSE
CUBA GOODING
KEITH MOON
TERRY REID
BLONDIE
THE GAP BAND
SUPERTRAMP
RICK JAMES
BOB SEGER
KILLING JOKE
(FT. DAVE GROHL)
PROBOT
(FT. DAVE GROHL)
LIT
THE VANDALS

BEN FOLDS FIVE
SHAQ
FISHBONE
PEPPER
FLYLEAF
SILVERTIDE
THE LOCUST
MARS VOLTA
TAYLOR HAWKINS
THE AQUABATS
DANZIG
SOCIAL DISTORTION
GOO GOO DOLLS
STONE SOUR
PAUL BUTTERFIELD
JOHNNY MATHIS
MICHAEL MCDONALD
HENRY MANCINI
CANNED HEAT
GENTLE GIANT
STEVE MORSE
THE POINTER SISTERS
T LAVITZ
JEFF BERLIN
LITTLE FEAT
HOYT AXTON
LIZ PHAIR
FANTOMAS
STONE SOUR
TOMAHAWK
DANZIG

RANCID
TIGER ARMY
JOE BARRESI
GIL NORTON
JACK JOSEPH PUIG
NICK RASKULINECZ
GEORGE DRAKOULIAS
SYLVIA MASSEY
BRETT GUREWITZ
BRADLEY COOK
TODD BURKE
MATT HYDE
ERIC VALENTINE
MATT WALLACE
MICKEY P.
ANDY GILL
DAVE SARDY
JON BRION
GREG FIDELMAN
TONY KANAL
JASON FALKNER
TONY HOFFER
CHAD BAMFORD
MATHEW WILDER
J.P PLUNIER
JOE BLAINEY
MIKE TERRY
JOSS WHEDON
DAVID BOTRILL
MICHAEL BEINHORN
CHRIS VRENNA
JAMES BROWN

Carney’s on the Sunset Strip also makes some of the best dogs in town…

And for more hot dog/rock and roll history, there’s always Oki Dog

The story Oki-Dog, L.A.’s legendary punk hangout (thetakeout.com)

3 Likes

Also Aretha was a Pink’s super fan

4 Likes

Rock and roll in the neighborhood includes the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset.

Love, '66

2 Likes

1966, Sunset Strip

1966, The Trip nightclub on Sunset

Tiny Naylors, Sunset and La Brea

4 Likes

Since I’m not a huge hot dog eater, this place might have to slide in ahead of Pink’s for the upcoming visit.

Hi Bob - I’m eager to check it out. I hear good things. Nice local history there too - hell, LA Woman was recorded in what’s now the bathroom! Carney’s on Sunset is a nice option too. LA’s a hotdog and donut town!

1 Like

Well, I am a donut guy!

Thanks for the fabulous pics! I just finished “Everybody Thought We Were Crazy: Dennis Hopper, Brooke Hayward, and 1960s Los Angeles,” by Mark Rozzo. I am simply enthralled by LA in the 1960s!

Also had no idea that Hopper was such a great photographer or such an astute art collector. He and Brooke were the first owners of Ed Ruscha’s Standard Station, Amarillo, Texas (1963), IMHO one of the greatest works of art of all time.

1 Like

very cool @BobfromRIinVA

well be sure to go visit the sunset marquis hotel off the strip…not only is there rock history and art everywhere there’s a cool art gallery store there…then you can walk up and see the Whiskey which looks pretty much the same, and troll around that area.

Morrison Hotel Gallery | Luxury Hollywood Hotel (sunsetmarquis.com)

Morrison Hotel Gallery

1 Like

a few more from the Sunset Strip area…

1974 (Rodney’s English Disco on Sunset)

1965 (recording she don’t care about time)

curfew riot 1966

and of course the movie '67

2 Likes

Here’s the current Tail O’ the Pup

And here’s LA and Alhambra, 1932… when the Tail O’ the Pup just isn’t enough

Technospinach: The Pup, the Bulldog, and the Maddox Family

2 Likes

Whiskey, 1964

Tasty dogs. Didn’t try this chili this time. Fries McDonald’s plus style. Rings next time. Cool atmosphere and nice folks working there. Good day for soft serve.

4 Likes

Well made a return trip with the kids…gonna go out on a limb here…this is the best hotdog in los angeles right now. snappy, thicker griddled skin, good size, nice flavor and good buns (always a selling point in this neighborhood). Tried the chili, which i liked a little closer to a chili than a chili sauce compared to some of the competition for whatever that’s worth. Also, the Boston Celtic is off menu available, that’s the dog with baked beans on top. TOP is also a great spot to relax and enjoy too, comfortable seating including shaded upper deck patio looking out onto Santa Monica Blvd and up to the hills and nice folks.

So… my updated LA power rankings are:

1. Tail O’ the Pup. I’m surprised cuz it’s newly reborn, but the quality is there and it’s the one I crave and want to return to. The footlong in the split top bun is next on the hit list for me.
  2. Carneys. There’s still something special about this steamed dog and bun for me. I like getting the red kraut here too.
  3. Marty’s Hamburger Stand. The large vienna beef dogs are solid and plus you can get the combo, which is the best of both worlds with a split dog on top of a chili cheeseburger (Carney’s does a good version of this too).
  4. Oki’s Dog (Pico location). The Oki dog is its own thing and it’s fantastic. Not for the faint of heart or light eater.
  5. Nate N’ Als. Jewish deli with super hotdogs of various sizes.
  6. Pinks. I’m all for the jalapeno chili cheese dog with jalapenos inside the dog too.

Lots of other venerable contenders and great dogs … what are your favorites?

2 Likes

Go-Gos_Tail-o-Pup_Beckman

2 Likes

1 Like