Tacos Where You Live

Great story. Do you still do that with your tacos?

1 Like

I’m trying to picture a gyros banh mi. Gyros meat on a banh mi roll with pickled veggies or banh mi fillings in a pita?

1 Like

I’m a fan of street taco style - small, often double, soft corn tortillas w/ just meat, onion, cilantro. These were in Selah, central WA last week after a hike. Tacos came naked and they had a salsa/garnish bar. Cilantro counts as salad, right?

11 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Always soft corn, unless you’re talking about a fast food franchise.
cilantro, onion, and radish are the default. Never lettuce or beans or cheese.
Meat varies, but al pastor, carnitas, tongue, beef, chicken, fish, goat, chorizo, cabezas, suadero, are common possibilities for meat .

Places that serve hot freshly griddled tortillas, where you can get that roasted corn aroma as you unwrap the hot taco are always preferable to me than room temperature. i’d go for store bought with that aroma over room temp homemade.

Gyros meat (and tzatziki sauce, IIRC) on a banh mi roll.

3 Likes

Is it more kati roll than taco?

Better than a taco shell being fried in Provel

1 Like

The photos sure look like tacos, and they call the rolled-up things burritos on the menu.

1 Like

Dicey. But, given the countless flavor combo possibilities, I’m all in!

1 Like

I’m amazed!
:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

WTH? You use queso cotija, queso fresco, or at least cheddar. Powdered cheese. What a travesty.

Not really. They were tacos made of the ingredients available locally at the time.
Most folks of Mexican heritage came to work on railroads, the smelter, or packing plant/slaughterhouses. Things are a lot more diverse these days.
The cheese dust, parmesan or cheddar, would be sprinkled on as soon as they came out of the deep fryers.
Totally different texture than grated.

5 Likes

Well that makes some sense. Are the tacos rolled or folded?

Folded. And we do not refer to In-A-Tub tacos as a travesty. :taco: :taco: :taco:

5 Likes

Yum

I’m in the Boston area, which doesn’t have a particular taco culture. There are some good places around here, but not necessarily the level of what can be found elsewhere (such as when I’ve been in San Diego, for example). I am ride or die for the cabeza tacos at Taqueria El Amigo here in Waltham though. Those come on corn tortillas.

More often then not though, I make my own at home. Sometimes I make my own tortillas (corn or flour), sometimes I buy them. Lots of grilled fish or shrimp ones in the summer. We also like to do some kinds of guisados and then build our own at the table. If I am feeling ambitious, a pipian of some sort.

4 Likes

What do you mean by in a tub tacos?

1 Like

That’s the place where the cheese-dusted tacos bbqboy alluded to are sold, a Kansas City specialty.
https://kansascitymag.com/best-of-kc/for-two-generations-kansas-city-has-had-its-own-unique-taco-style/

1 Like

These are actual deepfried gut bombs.
Legend has they used to be clipped closed with clothespins for their dip in the deep fryer.
This creates a sort of steamed effect that makes them very moist, as opposed to tacos dorados.
Sort of the difference between pan fried and deepfried chicken.

1 Like