Tacos Where You Live

One of my favorite places is run by a man and his wife and their adult daughter and son in law. Based on watching Rick Bayless, I’d say they serve what Rick refers to as standard Mexico City street fare.

Beautiful, gracious people, always so hospitable, and their google reviews show it - 4.9 with almost a thousand reviews. The few negative reviews are quite evidently idiots, by the way.

My favorite review was fairly lengthy and glowing but the main point was, “If you don’t like this place, go into the bathroom and take a look in the mirror. You’re staring at the problem.”

They only seat about 20 people but do a huge take out business. Their tacos are always doubled small soft corn tortillas, filled with any protein you want (including offal, lingua, chorizo, pork chunks, el pastor, whatever) and they have a small condiments bar with little cups so you can try any of their 20 or so sauces. I think they do have flour tortillas too, but you’d have to specify as they otherwise assume soft corn. Their tortas are also really killer.

I guess coincidentally, my other favorite taco joint is dad/mom, adult daughter and her husband, and same story about how super nice they are. They undercharge for their food, in my opinion. Besides a great taco lunch (3 tacos plus rice/beans) for $6, their fajitas lunch is just at $8 for beef or chicken. They have on their menus the full choice set between flour, soft corn, crispy corn tortillas. Plus a big sauces bar, too. I may have mentioned this place elsewhere here at HO - I asked the dad owner why his prices were so low and he said it was because so many of the immigrant laborers eat there he wanted to keep the prices to what they could afford. I generally tip this place at 100% if eating alone and at least 50% if I’ve got the kids with me.

The other big contingent here is Cuban style tacos, lots of mediocre Mahi-Mahi tacos but a few places have some really great lobster tacos, invariably on flour tortillas. No idea if these are “authentic” or just an American adaption. And a lot of Cuban-style pork chunks tacos that are fun and tasty. Again almost always flour tortillas.

Oh, to answer the rest of OP’s questions - rare/never beans, cheese or lettuce are seldom too. That’s in the restaurants. When I cook beef, pork, or shrimp tacos myself, we often add thin sliced avocados, shredded lettuce, cheese and the like. Except when I cook the pork carnitas - then I only serve it with a lime wedge for drizzling and some pickled onions.

5 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/interactive/2022/best-tacos-in-dc/

Via my friend Deborah.

2 Likes

Sure don’t have a ton by me. I don’t do Taco Bell, and I’d rather get the shrimp chile relleno at our one Mexican restaurant (owners and workers from Jalisco), so the taco truck is where most go. Lengua (my fave), cabeza, asada… no al pastor, though. No beans on the tacos. Beans and rice on the side. Onions and cilantro, squirt of lime. Corn tortillas only, at the truck , the baby ones, doubled on the flat top.

Deep fried with peas? Hmm, never heard of that.Are the peas mushed, like beans?

No. Peas are whole.

Not sure what food Connecticut could be known for? But def not tacos.
Envious reading about all the delicious tacos in comments above.

1 Like

How about lobster rolls with butter?

3 Likes

Very good! That is certainly a Connecticut thing. Tho having spent young years in Maine I would always choose the cold salad on a hot crispy bun😊

2 Likes

Lobster tacos sound like they’d be wonderful :blush:

3 Likes

I am fine with either. I love lobster rolls. And @bbqboy, I’ve definitely had lobster tacos, but not very good ones (the lobster is invariably overcooked).

2 Likes

There’s a mini chain in la called lobster & beer that does lobster tacos…not bad, nobody’s getting hurt

I’ve heard downhill reports from @Chowseeker1999 about Ricky’s Fish Taco’s but im willing to give him another chance with these if they’re available (assume CA/MX spiny lobster)

4 Likes
2 Likes

There has been an :boom: in the taco scene for NYC over the past 10 years. The variety is huge. All sorts of places from street carts to high end now. But I have a special place in my heart(burn) for Taco Bell’s los doritos loco supreme. I eat a dozen at a time and am very content.

Back when I lived in Redondo Beach (early 80’s) my roommate took me for the first time to the local Taco Bell to get a Burrito Supreme. They were amazing, and I hit the place up regularly after that. And for fast food at that time, they weren’t cheap, but they were big, fat, with a couple of sauces, and simply delicious.

But some time between then and now they changed drastically. They are cheaper now then they were 40 years ago, and are simply garbage in comparison. Sadly, I feel pretty much the same way about all of their food.

1 Like

Same with their bean burritos: smaller and more expensive. There has to be a limit though–they can’t call a teaspoon of refried beans in rolled in an enchilada burrito.

2 Likes

I’ve been inspired, I’m making these lobster tacos, where I live, tonight.

https://www.mainelobsternow.com/cooking/street-style-lobster-tacos-with-avocado-and-lime-crema

6 Likes

While McD’s, In ‘n Out, Carl’s have raised prices significantly, I’m ok with that so long as I can still get the same food. Places like Taco Bell and JimBoys seem to be all about the price, and changing menu items rather than prices… resulting in food that simply goes downhill. Jimboys’ Super Burritos are gone, and the last (and I mean last) meal I had there was mostly lettuce and rice.

1 Like

Probably not the type of tacos most are thinking about, but I had this gorgeous mahi mahi taco in a crispy shell with a foamy guacamole type topping a few weeks ago on an island in the French West Indies. Fabulous. So fabulous my lovely wife grabbed the first one while I was taking the picture. Almost as good as Taco Bell. :rofl:

5 Likes

Santa Barbara-my two favorites are Corazon and the famous La Superica. The #16 Superica special with marinated pork and chilis and cheese and the more modern Corazon offerings the Tijuana with sprimp and octopus and the Norteno with steak, beans and guacamole.

2 Likes

Still getting the hang of adding pics.

8 Likes

What’s the lower left model?
Looks intriguing.