Tacos Where You Live

West Central Florida here. My area used to be mostly vegetable farms (but now seems to mostly grow sprawling planned communities and HOAs…:money_mouth_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting:) so lots of families who arrived as migrants and stayed on.

Mostly flour, but corn is an option… no beans on the tacos but a side of charra is a must.

Onion and cilantro only…lettuce and shredded yellow cheese are only available at Taco Bell. Cotija sometimes appears, along with crema (Not sour cream).

I always know I’m in a good one if lengua amd cabeza are on the menu, with menudo on the Saturday offering

5 Likes

Interesting. When I was in La Paz and Cabo San Lucas, there were no flour tortillas, period. I guess things can change in 38 years- LOL
Example- When I was there, Cabo was a sleepy little town.

2 Likes

You are lucky to have been there 38 years ago and experienced the sleepy fishing village that was Cabo.

Have no desire to visit Cabo any time soon. I have heard it’s a lot like the US nowadays. All the familiar fast food chains, supermarkets etc. Has a large population of American pensioners, transplants and expats to cater to. Not to mention the prices of things.

1 Like

On the Kansas side, these were dusted with
cheddar cheese much like in Mac& Cheese kits rather than parmesan.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of these, but I know I would love them!

1 Like

They have golf courses, for God’s sake…
Yeah, they were in the process of dragging the little bay that was behind the Finisterra, which was just about the only good hotel in town. Most of the rest looked like they also rented rooms out by the hour. The Twin Dolphins was a little way out of town, took a taxi near to there and explored the beaches around it.

42770d8b7393ab6b1961a858723b5be24abbb9ac4064c6fa31c1e573607eb454.0

I finally looked up “expats”.

1 Like

I was one. Expat is not inherently evil…most she in a foreign la d by choice and want to experience their host culture.

1 Like

One more.

3 Likes

We don’t have our own style but have various styles of tacos here, including authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, Salvadorian, Korean, Hawaiian, seafood “shack” themed, pan latin, asian influenced, chef driven, etc. Personally, usually I go to one that is organic, Oaxacan, and makes their own tortillas, but when I lived in a different location, I used to get Salvadorian/Mexican goat tacos (and lorocco pupusas). I have 5 taco joints within a couple of blocks (Mexican, regional Mexican (Oaxacan), Hawaian, Tex Mex, Seafood Shack…plus a Korean one at the farmers mkt once a week. And that’s just a few blocks.

2 Likes

In Toronto these days, we have more recent Mexican immigrants, so we can find good tacos al pastor, lengua, etc in some neighborhoods. I like Itacate on St Clair W.

The trendy tacos are also popular, with fried chicken, etc. These places charge around $15 for 2 tacos. Usually owned by people who don’t know much about Mexican food.

Korean Tacos with Korean fillings are available at a couple places.

Indian tacos (as in First Nations), made with fry bread as a wrapper are available at Pow Wow Café.
https://m.facebook.com/pg/CafePowWow/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

https://instagram.com/powwowcafeto?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Neither am I. I’m a gringo and sometimes gweilo, but I like various forms of the food.

5 Likes

Here in tiny NNW WA near the Canadian border, there are about 10 places making tacos, and only one that our family considers legit enough for repeat business. Their tacos are choose a protein, 2 small corn tortillas, chopped onion and cilantro. A red and a green bottle on each table. The proteins are the usual suspects.

3 Likes

Our taqueria makes delicious corn tortillas. Since it’s a large pack, I’ll put 10 into ziplock freezer bags and take them out when I want to do a taco night or make an echilada casserole. Or enfrijoladas. They freeze very nicely.

2 Likes

I freeze corn tortillas, toast them in an oiled skillet before using them for enchiladas.

I don’t bother because my enchilada is typically a casserole/layered bake, and it all warms up in the oven. If I was using them for tacos out of the freezer, I’d thaw and do the same.

2 Likes

One of our most memorable taco experiences took place at a Lodi, CA, truck, maybe 20 years ago. 3/$1.00 for simple taco of meat, pico de gallo with a side jalapeno. We sat at a picnic table opposite an elderly Spanish speaking man. I broke open my jalapeno and put it on one of my tacos. My husband handed me his jalapeno and I did the same on my second. The gentleman watched with amusement then handed me his jalapeno. I was startled at first, but took it, thanked him and put it on my third taco. He was delighted, laughed and shook his head, not expecting this Gringa of a certain age to have such an appetite for jalapenos.

7 Likes

The central valley has great tacos :blush:

5 Likes

Not surprisingly, Navajo tacos are available in Arizona and New Mexico. But I’m now wondering it there are (South Asian) Indian tacos anywhere. (I had a gyros banh mi in Scottsdale, so anything is possible.)

4 Likes

At least one place in the SF Bay Area has Indian tacos (and burritos)

1 Like