Swiss Chard inspiration

Ideas beyond chard pies (such as Greek-style with filo, Italian-style with crust, empanadas), frittatas/strata/quiche, chard
-spanakorizo, sauteed with garlic, boiled then topped with oil and lemon, or chard with raisins and pine nuts?

2 Likes

Vegetable soup.

Rainbow chard is so pretty. Thinly slice it and add it raw to tossed salads, or include it in the rest of the filling for omelets and allow the heat to wilt it a bit.

4 Likes

In a cookbook called something like “Biba’s Italian Kitchen,” I saw a recipe for a swiss-chard soup using dried (and reconstituted) porcini mushrooms, canned chick peas/garbanzos, and the usual Mediterranian aromatics/herbs and chicken broth with olive oil. Terrific soup with crusty bread, and it can use up a lot of chard (or beet greens, if you can find them [insanely nutritious]).

2 Likes

Saute sliced garlic cloves in EVOO until golden. Remove from pan, Saute washed, still damp, chard ribbons plus slices of stem. Maldon salt. Done.

4 Likes

Do you like garlic?

Then chop up your swiss chard, sautéed in some EVOO and crushed garlic cloves and some crush tomatoes, until the chard is soft and wilted.

Remove, and set aside and let cool.

Then in a separate bowl, mixed diced garlic, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, sugar, salt and sesame oil.

Mix thoroughly. Then drizzle over the sautéed swiss chard.

2 Likes

I like chard with raisins and pine nuts, but also the "sautéed chard with lemon and hot pepper " recipe from Chez Panisse Vegetables ". Just as simple as it sounds.

I make the “Chilled chard with lemon”, and the “Garlicky Chard” from “Vegetables Every Day” by Jack Bishop even more.

3 Likes

Yotam Ottolenghi is a fan of chard.

2 Likes

The leaves of Swiss Chard can be quite lovely steamed to tender, and then one can roll ham of choice, Iberian or Italian and cheese of choice. I prepare a French dish called Stuffed Endives - so Swiss Chard leaves could be substituted for the endive leaves, and I bake them in a Spanish red clay earthenware called “barro” until tender and easily sliced …

Recipe Ingredients:

40 grams of butter unsalted
Endive or Swiss chard leaves ( approx 6 to 8 )
Vegetable of chicken stock 300 ml.
The juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp of sugar in the raw or white if you prefer
1 tablsp of fresh finely sliced parsley

Pre heat oven to 180 Centig and grease the earthenware with 1/3 of the butter. Eliminate all hard stems from the vegetable and roots. Then fill with ham and cheese of choice (Gruyère is lovely or Emmenthal) and season lightly with the juice of 1 lemon, salt, finely grinded black pepper and the sugar sprinkled lightly.
Sprinkle with the parsley. And place the warmed up stock strained in the earthenware.

Bake for 1 hour or until the leaves are very tender.

Quite lovely !!! It is a classic French dish.

1 Like

Thank you! I wasn’t familiar with this dish!

1 Like

You are welcome.

Let me know how it turns out …

Have a lovely day.

Alice Waters chard gratin is delicious.

https://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2008/07/alice-waterss-s.html

Add images here

1 Like

Could you add the images again? They didn’t load.

1 Like

I luv various types of dolmades, but grape leaves are expensive and sometimes hard to find. Anyone here tried making them with Swiss chard?

https://www.kalofagas.ca/2021/01/29/swiss-chard-dolmades/

1 Like

Red Chard Pkhali

Kuku Sabzi may be too close to frittata for you (though it’s barely held together by eggs not the other way around)

2 Likes

A bunch of cuisines have chard parcels in their repertoires. Mince is one of the most popular fillings. Use big leaves and briefly blanch them first (this makes it easier to roll and wrap).

I did have Iberico mince filled chard parcels in Alajar village (in Sierra de Aracena area, Iberico pork producing heartland).

A Turkish supermarket here has it year round. I keep it simple: blanche or saute with garlic.

2 Likes

I didn’t load any images.

When I click on the link, the recipe includes a picture of the gratin.

I love chard and find it incredibly versatile. When it’s cooked I prefer it over spinach, which seems to disappear a little too much.

One of my favorite ways to use it is in braised white beans and toasted bread. The New York Times has an excellent recipe for it that includes fennel and chard, though I go one step further than that recipe and slice the chard stems to sauté with the fennel and onions. No reason not to use them!

3 Likes
1 Like

creamed chard, sauteed and topped with a Swiss cheese sauce, spinach soup but made with chard.

With caramelized onions and bacon!

1 Like