Survey: Do you wash your chicken?

Growing up the Caribbean with a abundance of citric fruit in the back yard, I still mirror my mother’s habit of washing chicken in lime juice… “Cut the rankness” was the order of the day.

Apparently you have not seen my tenant, mr boiled steak, prep chicken. After a good long thaw in tepid water mr terrified of any pink in meat bathes the chicken like it was his cat dousing the kitchen in chicken water ugh i dont mean to offend but i never can bring myself to eat it after its been cooked to death

OK, I’m finally going to admit this. Whenever I quickly scan the “latest” list of HO threads, I read this as “Survey: Do you wash your children?” I also read earlier today "east bay purveyor for chocolate garnie meats? " Maybe I need to slow down.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Correct. I was responding to someone who said that he/she is worry about splashing the bacteria during washing and rinsing. Therefore I added “What about soaking?”

I wish you would change the wording of the no choice or add a choice that is no I do not wash it having nothing to do with concerns regarding the spread of bacteria. I guess it is too late to do that now that people have started voting so I will place my no vote with hesitation.

I voted 3 - but not because of the reason given but simply because it’s never occured to me to wash chicken.

By the by, the UK Food Standards Agency (whose website I’ve now looked at) strongly advises against washing chicken. So that’s a relief.

(Don’t know why I’m only seeing this now.)

FWIW it depends. Although I’m called a dirty bird quite frequently, I do not like dirty birds and as such I do give mine a rinse every now and then. What constitutes a dirty bird, now that’s a good question…and one I can’t say I have a blanket answer for. I guess it just depends on how the bird strikes me when I remove it from it’s packaging and when I remove the giblets.

I “Liked” #2, but only because it depends on the chicken.

If it looks good, smells good, then “No”, I just cook it.

If it LOOKS like it needs a good washing then “Yes”, I wash it.

If it SMELLS like it needs a good washing, then “No”, I just throw it away. :wink:

1 Like