Survey: Do you wash your chicken?

I am sure we have heard of the argument to not wash the chicken:

So, let do a quick poll.

Do you wash your chicken (or other poultry)?

Please click on one of the following replies:

• Yes. I like to wash my chicken because I like to remove as much dirt and blood as possible before cooking. Cooking may kill bacteria, but cooking does not remove dirt, blood, or slime…etc.

• Sometime. It depends. It is close to 50:50.

• No. I do not wash my chicken because it will only spread bacteria all over the place and makes it much more risky.

0 voters

Please do feel free to discuss (not just to vote). Thanks.

(Mod note: Chemicalkinetics: i changed your thread to a real poll and changed your instructions. I will post a tip thread on how to do polls later.

Removed comments from above:
Since this will be a simple survey, this time we will use the “heart/thumb up” to collect data.

)

1 Like
  1. Yes. I like to wash my chicken because I like to remove as much dirt and blood as possible before cooking. Cooking may kill bacteria, but cooking does not remove dirt, blood, or slime…etc.
6 Likes
  1. Sometime. It depends. It is close to 50:50.
3 Likes
  1. No. I do not wash my chicken because it will only spread bacteria all over the place and making it much more risky.
17 Likes

I do wash my chicken. I just find that when it comes out of the package it feels like it has a little slime layer on it. I feel compelled to wash that off.

2 Likes

:smiley: Click the little heart above to vote. :smiley:

I always rinse my chicken - carefully, as to not splash water all over, but I have a pretty deep sink.

And we’re all still alive. Huh.

3 Likes

I just realize that I cannot heart my own post (which makes sense). So I will add my vote later, but I also wash my chicken all the time

Funny thing is that I didn’t use to wash my chicken when I first started cooking in college. It was my mom who convinced me to wash the chicken, I think.

1 Like

Never, and mostly out of pure laziness.

2 Likes

I thought I did “heart” to vote …

I know you can’t heart your own posts, can you also not see the count if others click it?

Oh yes, you did. I may have counted someone else as your vote and thought you didn’t vote. Thanks.

(yes, I can see the count).

Lingua. Please “heart” your selection above. I am trying to collect the votes this way. Thanks.

To remove biogenic amines, including histamine. Non bacterial cause of food poisoning.

1 Like

Your concern for biogenic amines is recent, right? Did you not wash chicken before that? Or you always wash chicken? Thanks.

I always washed it, yes. What’s changed is that I also now rinse all meats well before prepping I used to just blot other meats dry and wipe well with paper towels.

1 Like

None of your choices are quite right for me. I’m more a, “No. I’m about to cook it - not fuck it” guy.

I voted 3 but thats because it never occurred to me to wash it. My mother never did and I’m struggling to think of anyone I know who does.

1 Like

That’s cool. It really comes down to:

You wash the chicken or you don’t wash the chicken. Thanks for your vote.

I clicked 3, meaning “no because meh”.

When I started cooking, however, I’d not only wash the chicken but rub it with baking soda and rinse to be extra sure. What really squicked me out at the time was that clear fatty goo packet you sometimes find at the thigh. Somehow I’ve managed to stop worrying about it.

1 Like

Thank for your votes. Let keep the votes coming. Hopefully, we will have a bit more. So far

Most responders (67%) do not wash their chicken
However, 33% washes their chicken