Survey: Do you wash your chicken?

I don’t wash it either, but I do trim the fatty goo.

I’m surprised 50/50 isn’t more popular–my answer to nearly every question is “it depends”. I always wash, even soak before making stock, including already cooked chicken bones–it removes some of the blood and reduces the foaminess. For pan sauteed dishes I usually don’t, as washing and drying is too much for my lazy self. Other applications, eh, it depends.

Good point.

Hi gaffk. Would you mind clicking the “heart” above for the “do not wash” reply. Thanks. I am trying to see how successful it is to collect votes this way.

Sorry Chem, I didn’t “heart” because my failure to wash has nothing to do with spreading bacteria . . . I have a pretty robust immune system :stuck_out_tongue:

1. More often than not # 3 . No , it’s not the bacteria , It’s me being me .

I dont wash it with water Yuk but I do generally rub it with lemon or douse with vingar before buttering up or whatever is going to come next

What does the vinegar do? Same idea? To clean it? Or it is more for marinating?

To clean and refresh and prep it I generally get the skin and the cavity I use lemon or vinegar depending what is handy I am not really thinking it does much its just habit but I def don’t like splashing chicken water around - my tenant does that every time - he is so so so afraid of raw chicken yet he is getting everything covered in chicken water - gross

Tell him to fill the sink with water and have the chick swim in it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m one of the 50:50 folks too. One of the stores I shop at always seems to have an abundance blood/juice/whatever in the packages, these get a rinse. The other, large chain type grocery does a better job of breaking down/handling, no rinse there

Thanks Biscuit. If you don’t mind, please click on the heart of the “50:50” answer above… all the way up above. I am trying to use the heart thing to collect votes.

I just changed the survey into a real poll. Please see the original post.

Thanks. I accidentally vote for the wrong thing in my own poll. :slight_smile: Can I change it?

Just click ur choice one more time to deselect, then vote again

If the chicken is very fresh, I don’t wash it. I don’t think a water soaked chicken is tasty. I only wash it when it gets quite “slimy”. so it’s a 2:1 wash : not wash

BTW, where is the poll?

If you scroll all the way to the top, you’ll see the poll.

PS: Nobody’s “soaking” their chicken. A quick rinse is all, and… you can dry it off!

1 Like

Thanks, voted!

I don’t know! the picts from ChemicalK looks like they have been there for hours swimming! :imp:

I think I once read it somewhere a warning from the (health) authority in UK that NEVER WASH A CHICKEN, we can’t kill the bacteria and we pollute the sink.

I voted Never, but I rinse my brined and dry-rubbed birds.

Now I raise the question, how about washing it in boiling water for a minute? We did that with cooking certain organs.

1 Like