Surf BBQ, in Rumson, NJ

I love their white pie with garlic.

Yeah they make a good white pie!

1 Like

So I picked up another pastrami short rib last night. This was my best one yet. They have this thing dialed in! The cut was awesome and had a ton of meat on it, more than Iā€™ve ever had there.

My gripe is the bread, kraut, mustard. They skimp on the cheap stuff. Another slice of bread, a little more kraut, and a some more mustard would really go long way and cost them maybe 50 cents more? I love the toasted rye thereā€¦wonderful. Granted I probably could have asked for this, but the ā€œmeat to sideā€ ratio just isnā€™t balanced imo. They put 3 slices of pickle that are delicous, but literally less than an 8th" thick.
ā€¦come on. They make some great pickles!

Nonetheless, this is a premier dish in Monmouth County. No one is doing anything like this. If they are, do tell :slight_smile:

The smoked sausage app was OK but at 12 for one nice sized link, I wouldnā€™t get it again.

One short rib dinner, sausage app, 2 drinksā€¦66.xx pre tip

@joonjoon @Metsfan86 get on it fellas

It is hard to tell but that is a nice pile of glorious short rib!

6 Likes

That looks gorgeous. I think I need to try that some time this week. Iā€™m thinking take-out.

It is a serious dish. I would recommend trying it there. I think if you bring it home, it might throw things off. The steam in the box will most likely mess up the toast.

I would actually split this with someone. Itā€™s a decent sized dish. Iā€™d ask for 2 extra slices of bread, more kraut and a larger side of mustard. That should round out this dish nicely.

I think the only make about 12 of those a dayā€¦so they run out sometimes. If they donā€™t run out they throw it in the chili the next day, so ask if itā€™s in thereā€¦youā€™ll get the pastrami short rib at a steep discount. The only other place I know that makes one of these is Abe Fischer in Philly. I think they only make 10 a day.

I thought about this when I was there but panick ordered since we were sitting at the bar for the final four. Need to remedy my choice soon.

We were at the Taste of Summer Culinary Extravaganza to benefit Lunch Break last night. A lot of local restaurants participated in this charity benefit including Surf BBQ. I talked with the guy for a while and even gave him @corvette_johnny 's suggestion for more side stuff and bread with the pastrami rib. Unfortunately they didnā€™t bring that, but their pulled pork with yellow mustard sauce was pretty good too.

1 Like

They have the best pulled pork around here in my eyes, if money isnā€™t an object. I wish they had a better sauce section like jsbbq though.

@CurlzNJ are we going to get some jsbbq pics soon or what? Jeez :smile:

Ha! Itā€™s been far too long since Iā€™ve been thereā€¦But I did serve their brisket at my non-Seder! Does that count? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So does anyone know why they changed their name from surf bbq to surf restaurant?

Obviously there is a trademark issue. Iā€™m just wondering if anyone has the story.

Their Staten Island restaurant has a much more diverse menu than just traditional BBQā€¦I guess the rebranding is to identify with that.

Thereā€™s an application, but it has a later 1st use date:

Mark Image
Word Mark SURF CITY BBQ NC
Goods and Services IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: Catering services. FIRST USE: 20170701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20170701
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 01.01.09 - Stars, two; Two stars
01.17.03 - Maps of North America
24.09.07 - Advertising, banners; Banners
27.01.04 - Letters forming objects; Numbers forming objects; Objects composed of letters or numerals; Punctuation forming objects
Serial Number 87527283
Filing Date July 13, 2017
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Royal, Rebecca INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 13500 NC Hwy 50, Suite 112 Surf City NORTH CAROLINA 28445
Description of Mark The color(s) gold, blue, red, white is/are claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the word BBQ, The first letter ā€œBā€ is covered by a blue field and 2 gold ribbons. The upper ribbon contains the words ā€œMay 20th 1775ā€ in blue. Below a gold ā€œNā€ and ā€œCā€ with a white star in between. The bottom gold ribbon contains the words ā€œApril 12th 1776ā€ in blue. The 2nd Letter ā€œBā€ has a red field up top and a white field below, the letter ā€œQā€ has a red field up top and a white field below.
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

My guess is based on this article that they commissioned a study, and are looking to move things upscale before the franchise.

Given their track record, another Famous Daveā€™s?

Of course with Rallo, itā€™s always about the liquor license.

Time will tell.

The surf in rumson changes their menu all the time. It feels like every time I go it is different.

Iā€™ve met Billy before and he is a really cool dude.

Well you didnā€™t think Vic was cooking did you?

My friends just told us this is now just Surf. They did some renovations and changed the menu but it is still BBQ. Just me or does this name make zero sense? Surf = seafood to me. Anyone been recently?

I drive by here all the time as my uncle lives around the block. Did they change the name because of an infringement? That would seem more likely than to just change the name out of the blue.

I was there maybe 2 months ago or so. Food is still really good. It is just more expensive than other BBQ spots.

No idea on the story and havenā€™t been since at least the summer. Agreed with you. The place really only bothered me because of the price point for BBQ.

felt same- food was good, but pricing was outlandishā€¦even worse with booze factored in. Wanted to head back to try the pastrami you mentioned but looks like they look to have taken it off of the menu. Wonder if the Que will suffer as a result of the change since burgers, tacos, etc are not really a hook since those are aplenty around here.
Looks like heā€™s trying to brand along with the spot he opened in Staten Island (FYI that development he opened in is turnover city)