Surf BBQ, in Rumson, NJ

I agree. A dinner, 3 beers and an app will run you 80 or more for a BBQ dinner. That is outrageous.

25-32 for a dinner, 9-13 for an app, 7-9 for a beer and there you have it. I can bring a few brews to local smoke and walk out paying 25 or so. I honestly like the food at surf but I can get three meals at local smoke and the quality is there.

1 Like

I had the pig out from Local Smoke last night, 3 meats (sliced brisket, half chicken and 3 ribs) and 2 sides $22.

Sorry Iā€™ve been to Surf and I donā€™t think the food is any better than LS and the community seating was not a big hit with me.

1 Like

We tried both Local Smoke and JSBBQ when we first moved here 5+ years ago. We preferred JSBBQ over LS by a significant margin.

In my opinion JSBBQ has fallen down a bit - nothing seems as good as it used to be.

Should be try LS again?

1 Like

Local smoke is putting out good food at a very fair price. I canā€™t eat nearly as much as I used to. A 14-16 dollar dingle single meat dish does it for me. I really like their fries, chili and chili brussell sprouts.

Jssbbq is great. However, I havenā€™t been there since I went with my mom near memorial day. They take the award for best bbg sauce selection in my eyes. I think they take the brisket category locally.

Surf takes the pulled pork award.

Local smoke wins chicken award.

TST bbq takes the rib category with their bolder hickory smoke.

It is good to see competition around here now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but I have to disagree. We get take out from Local Smoke in Red Bank a lot and glazing their ribs with my own sauce and giving them a little more heat to caramelize makes them awesome.

Also have to give it to Local Smoke for their poppers; bacon wrapped and smoked, those addictive little things are likely responsible for an extra inch on my waistline.

We were there Friday nightā€¦pastrami beef rib and lamb belly barn mi sandwich. Pricey, yes but absolutely delicious.

2 Likes

Stopped here for dinner with friends after the Sea Bright fair was hilariously small but also super windy and we were all cold. I couldnā€™t tell what renovations they did. Place was busy not packed around 6-7 PM on a Sunday night. We had a birthday party for the kiddo and catered BBQ the day before so I was not about to get any of that. Iā€™m still eating ribs haha!

The good:

• We got sat fast.
  • They have the Impossible Burger on the menu which I have been wanting to try.

The bad:

• We had to ask for our server to take our order, bring us waters (and refills), the correct type of wine and the check.
  • The Impossible Burger was ok. It had a strong propane smell/flavor to it which was off putting. The baby loved the fries (of course).
1 Like

This is an interesting read. I dont believe all I see but take a look

https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the link. We had a long chat about the burger at dinner so Iā€™ll send this along to our friends too.

Apparently everything in CA causes cancer so donā€™t get too alarmed lol

1 Like

And spoiler alert, you wonā€™t make it out of this life alive anyway!

1 Like

The Gameday Menu Southern Fried Chicken Sliders at Surf are better than Chick-Fil-A times Popeyeā€™s Fried Chicken Sandwich to the tenth power. Brined three days and then smoked, fried up with a hint of heat these things deliver. Not always available, which makes me want them more. Martinā€™s bun, slaw, picklesā€¦exquisite.

6 Likes

Daaaamn

1 Like

Wow! Scrolling through this thread made me nostalgic! I love the way one of the initial posters says he posted it on Chowhound.

Anyway, Surf took the Pastrami Beef Rib off the regular menu. If you want to get their signature dish you now have to order it from the Catering menu at least a day in advance. They say that you get two pounds worth for $75 but donā€™t explain further. Remembering how big those monsters were, I wonder if thatā€™s one or two ribs?

2 Likes

Did you just hear about it or did the server actually tell you that you canā€™t get it?

Sometimes places remove their signature dish but you simply ask for it when ordering.

They said 24 hr advance notice is required as well as it has been taken off the regular menu.

1 Like

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/09/30/philadelphia-restaurant-abe-fisher-has-possibly-achieved-smoked-meat-nirvana/ This was the style they replicated, emulatedā€¦from one of Americaā€™s greatest chefs. Montreal style pastrami beef rib served almost identically. I asked them once, ā€œwhat happens if you donā€™t sell out of these?ā€ The guy told me ā€œthe chili is really good the next dayā€. Probably not a good business model. You have to order ahead at Abe Fischer as well. I can only eat one of those a couple of times a year anyways, They are an extra special treat.

4 Likes

just saw they closed the SI version of Surf, which he changed the Rumson location to match to some extent. Wonder what heā€™ll do here? It seems heā€™s opening a steakhouse and a tavern in the Staten Island spots (he closed his Spanish joint too).

Heā€™s too busy playing paddycake with David Pasternak @ Esca in the big city.

2 Likes

Just saw on FB he posted some stuff about his joints in light of Coronavirus. He mentioned his employees all get paid sick leave. I understand itā€™s a tough business with low margins so not every spot can offer that, but as diner and a person I really think thatā€™s a great thing for an owner of a restaurant to do. Def makes me realize itā€™s been too long since Iā€™ve been to surf.
They are also ramping up takeout according to the post for those who enjoy surf but may not be cool with being in Public much these days

4 Likes