Surf BBQ, in Rumson, NJ

I’ve been to the Neptune location once but not Red Bank. Is there a difference? I would think Neptune would put out the better product since it’s the original. I really enjoyed the ribs there, but all the other meats fell short in comparison to Surf.

And I’m curious to know if you’ve been to Jersey Shore BBQ in Belmar, which is my go-to around here. Mondays are 1/2 price wings and Tuesdays are 1/2 price ribs (or vice-versa) + I looooove their brisket!

1 Like

No I have not, but thanks for the tip I’ll give them a try!

Freaking delicious. Let me know if you want company! :slight_smile: Doug knows what he’s doing; it’s Texas-style BBQ and I can’t say I’ve had anything that was ‘just ok’ there–been going there for years, even before I moved down here. OMG and if you like brussels sprouts, don’t miss that app.

We don’t get to Belmar too often, but I am mentally putting this on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Just FYI - the Neptune location of Local Smoke is not their original location. Years ago we had a BBQ crawl and visited the original Local Smoke location out by McGuire AFB past Jackson.

I went last weekend and it was railed at 730. …Standing room only. I left. There were people waiting and there was not a single seat at the bar. I’m 99% sure they now have a wait staff so I think that was a wise move based on what I saw. There wasn’t a single person on line, so I’m fairly certain they did away with that train wreck set up.

It is good to see them doing better. I’ve been meaning to try that pastrami short rib and will report back.

1 Like

Wow! I went yesterday and had the pastrami short rib. Good lord…this thing is outrageous! @joonjoon dude you weren’t kidding. I’m definitely putting that dish in my rotation. It’s not cheap but I’m not sure where else you can get a dish like that.

The mac n cheese there is top notch too. It was my first time back in a while and I really enjoyed these two offerings. If anyone is a pastrami or short rib fan, check this dish out asap.

1 Like

glad to hear this place is rebounding -minus the high prices and dubious lineage, it’s nice to have other options that way if Barnacle Bills is just too crowded…

Glad you enjoyed it my friend! I’ve been dreaming of that short rib. It might be the best pastrami meat of any kind I’ve ever had. Really really spectacular. Man I want some right now!

1 Like

Yeah that is definitely a world class dish! They didn’t serve mine with the rye toast. Did you get the toast?

Yeah they served it with rye toast and some mustard. You were robbed!!

I got two free drinks so I’ll take that trade off!

The pastrami short rib is still going strong. It’s up to 30 bucks now :confused: @joonjoon @coldbeer70
Lunch today…

surfbbq

2 Likes

bump. Went here to watch the final four-, after Tommys was a 90 min wait. Was told 40 min wait but within about 15 min my party of three had seats at the bar to watch the game, which worked out better anyway. Full disclosure there were some shots and prob about 90 dollars + of booze consumed, so my memory may be a bit hazy. WE had nachos which were pretty good, could have used more sour cream and avocado but chips tasted house made which is a major plus. Also had the bacon app- which was amazing…def one of my favorite dishes in the area, think they may put a pastrami seasoning on it perhaps? My buddy had the Mahi tacos which he said were really good. Other party had the “Bolt” chicken sandwich which he gave high marks. I had brisket sandwich which was a miss. Advertised pickles on it were pretty tasteless and the brisket itself was dry- prob my fault b/c I got a sandwich
and not by itself.
Place was really nice inside, bartenders were good, TVs, all in all a really nice setup. My only service complaint was mains came about 5 min after apps, so pace was a bit off. Was a good mix of families and non from 6 -about 830 or so. Will def go back but will prob limit myself to 1 drink and will chose other than the brisket sandwich, perhaps just the BBQ alone or some pulled pork. Def much love for the bacon app though.

1 Like

The pulled pork is solid there. In fact, I’d say it is the best pulled pork around here that I’ve had. It won’t be the cheapest, that’s for sure! I think it beats out a few of my local BBQ joints. My basic American bbq rotation consists of surf, local smoke, jsBBQ and tre calore.

That large tv is pretty nice right?

THanks will def try that next time. Actually Wishing these days somebody around here did a calamari taco, had that down in Annapolis and it was pretty money.
Surf would be my go to spot for games given the food and atmosphere and the tvs esp the big daddy one but the price point seems a bit high. I spent 88 myself on three tap drinks(cider) a shot and a sandwich. Might have to try the globe or Pete and eldas next time. But surf without more than one drink will def be high in my list to go back to soon

Yeah surf isn’t cheap. For calamari I like brothers buffalo squid. Give it a shot.

I haven’t been to the globe in ages. When I was a kid I used to hang there all the time and it was fun.

Need to check our brothers. I keep meaning to as it’s spoken highly of around here. Usually head to Pete and eldas or deninos for night out and mangia for take out. Prob should take a poll one day for next local take out joint

Wow you have been to brothers yet? I’d head over there. I think you will like it. I only get pizza, squid and buffalo wings. That’s all I need from there.