Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

Stopped by Lotte Market in Edison today for the first time.

First of all this place is fantastic. Great variety, super low prices, nice and clean and well laid out.

It had a healthy amount of people and more or less everything seemed normal, even a few food court shops were open. It’s super convenient to get to also, real close to exits from Parkway/287. I can’t wait to go back when my fridge isn’t absolutely packed.

4 Likes

Maybe to support them so they can liquidate their inventory.

1 Like

Funny I walked through there a few weeks ago just killing time between appointments. I was surprised to find that food court back there and their seafood department was really surprising as well.

1 Like

I am fully in favor of people supporting establishments that need help… but 12$/lb is anything but liquidation pricing. That’s probably around 100% markup for them.

1 Like

I love that place… and i found myself going there more than Hmart once I have been to Lotte. In normal times, it is way less crowded than Hmart and pretty much get the same stuff. It might not have the same variety and the bakery is not as good as Pairs Baguette but I love the fact that I can get in and out of there rather quickly even on a Saturday as compare with the lines and lack of parking at Hmart plaza.

2 Likes

Funny, one of the first things I think about when I think about shopping at Hmart is crowds. Can you imagine going shopping there now? I would literally have to wear a hoop skirt to get any social distancing.

I am really hoping this means you actually own a hoop skirt! :rofl:

1 Like

I am soooo wishing I had any skill in photoshop and could post a pic of me in a hoop skirt. My wife says I have the legs for it!

3 Likes

I would like to see that, and I’m sure others would as well.

My shoprite order was scheduled to be completed by 6:30 PM tonight (Aberdeen) but they called an hour ago and said they are running very behind schedule and it might be ready in the AM. I really expected this honestly. I’m just glad someone else is doing the shopping. Leaving the house would be a nice diversion but I am SO slammed with work.

1 Like

We placed our first Shop Rite pickup order yesterday. After checking throughput the day finally secured the last pickup slot for next Wednesday. Also at Aberdeen as our local store (Freehold) doesn’t offer pickup or delivery service.

When placing the order I mistakenly selected pay at pickup instead of paying when the order was placed. How does that work? Do you enter the store or do they take your card when you drive up?

Also, what’s been your experience with availability of cleaning supplies and paper goods? We ordered some but have no expectations they’ll be available. I expect to fare better with meat, dairy and pantry items.

@joonjoon we’re you at lidl today by chance?

Lidl hazlet report: fruit was hit pretty hard but overall it was what I expected. Most chicken was gone but they did have fresh wings and breast cutlets so I got some of each. Tp in stock. Ground beef is all gone except for the expensive organic rack. That was filled at the end of the aisle. They need to drop the price to move that…seriously. Seltzer section for cans was pretty decimated. Eggs were in stock.

1.29 avocado special (buy one get one so 64.5 cents a piece.) I got 8 and some that weren’t ripe. Those will stay good for a little while as I eat the ripe ones up.

59 cent cucumber (BOGO as well so 29.5 cents per cuke)

2 Likes

Just did TJ’s shrewsbury. They let like 20 or so people in the store at a time with 3 registers open. Line is 6ft apart outside as they put down tape to indicate the distance- was down to the cigar store. I appreciate they are taking stuff seriously. Clerk hands you cart and wipes it down when you are allowed to walk in.
Pretty calm inside due to limitations.
Was able to pick up most of what I needed- ice cream and mozz were only things I really wanted that were gone. Milk was there a plenty; eggs were hit hard but still a lot of good stock. Meats were well stocked, water too. Didn’t check for cleaning supplies or paper goods as we’re pretty stacked at moment.
Frozen veggies were one that people also went deep on.
Register they had you bag as well. Spoke to clerk who was upbeat and in good mood- he worked at a location closer to his school but with the closing of schools he lives nearby and was able to pick up shifts here which is nice. Employees were all upbeat, much calmer experience than Shoprite.
I see a lot of towns here sending food to hospitals and first responders. I’ve seen some stuff on local Facebook groups to send some pizzas for lunch to TJ’s employees (and other grocery store employees as these guys are working non-stop at non glamorous jobs to help us all get fed)- would be a nice thing to do as well.

4 Likes

Monmouth Meats in Red Bank has stayed open and has daily lunch specials including various soups. They also have a good selection of prime meats and even some nice looking but expensive Wagyu.

2 Likes

I got a text that my order from last night was ‘done’ but many things were out of stock with no substitutions available which I found bizarre. Seriously, no black pepper, lemons, chicken, milk, any seltzer??? Placed my first Whole Foods order this morning at around 7 AM and the order just arrived at my door. WOW.

2 Likes

Interesting home del exp here too; for us for our family members have been widely diff even in the same store, same days. My neighbor and I have started grocery sharing

3 Likes

The last I checked their Wagyu was going for $ 119 per lbs, has that changed? I just watched your video about the most expensive foods and wagyu was on it, I’ve got to tell you for being the life long meat eater I am, I found wagyu a bit too strong of flavor. Mind you my first experience was eating an entire steak, which honestly nauseated me, but because I spent over $ 100 on it I finished it. However I think that experience ruined the flavor for me. Small bites I can tolerate but I won’t go out of my way to search it out anymore. I’m perfectly content with my prime aged beef.

Wow! Did you do that WF order via Prime or directly through WF?

1 Like

Whole Foods via Prime. I checked 3x and there were no slots then suddenly there was. Pretty impressive turnaround time. Only issue was that I ordered a $9 can of tuna. I misread it and thought it was a pack of 4. It better be the best damn canned tuna ever…

4 Likes

HA! No question that we have to read carefully on these… but happy you’re restocked! I have a ShopRite order that I’M picking up on Monday–very curious to see how that works out.