Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

There’s like a reverse supermarket apocalypse happening right now, they overstocked and no one is buying. Just went to the hazlet lidl and most of the produce was like 1/3 price. 39c tomatoes 50c avocados and 39c each for English cucumbers! Time to make some pickles.

1 Like

VERY interesting. I haven’t been to a store in…5 (?) days now, but need to go tomorrow for some fresh veggies–anxious to see if I notice a difference. Do you think it’s just Lidl/Aldi-sized places?

1 Like

I need a trip too- been putting it off for a bit- still trying to figure out which is safer- going myself or instacart…was thinking of a trader joes run since from what I read they seem to be very serious about extra precautions for shoppers. (plus it’s a really good store with good prices/selections)

2 Likes

I think it’s happening everywhere. Like I mentioned earlier Costco at 8pm looked like they were just freshly stocked to open. Last two days the ShopRite clearance food section was overflowing with 70% off items. I mean it makes sense, I think people fully loaded up and are taking a break and the weather’s been shitty. All of the markets have generally been empty when I’ve gone.

1 Like

I just checked delivery/pickup availability for Shop-Rite and all of the Instacart stores. No one shows available time slots. A friend of a friend in north Jersey placed an order last week for delivery for tomorrow. She just got an email that the order was canceled.

Today at the Aberdeen Shoprite:

Plexiglass barriers in place. If you bring your own bags, you must do your own bagging.

Pretty well stocked (plenty of kosher meat, for example, and full supplies of bread, dairy products, etc.), with the following exceptions I noticed:

Low on bar soap, mac & cheese (only expensive brands), Goya dried beans (though they had dark kidney beans), canned fruits other than pineapple.

Out of toilet paper, tissues, and ordinary ramen (they had some cook-in-the-bowl), tomatillos(+), 1.5qt chocolate flavors of ice cream.

(+) Hey, we all have things we want; I was hoping to make Green Chili. If the worst that happens is that they’re out of tomatillos, I’ll be happy.

The clearance racks had some stuff, but not anything I wanted. (I’m not desperate enough for corn muffins.)

I thanked one stock clerk and he was really grateful–he said I was the first person to do so. So I thanked several other people as well. Please remember that these folks are on the front lines (as it were), making it possible for you to get food, and thank them.

4 Likes

Mrs. P tried to place an order through Shop-Rite online last night. The next available slot for PICKUP was next Friday afternoon. She never received an email confirmation, and when she checked this morning it showed as no outstanding orders :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

After checking a bunch of delivery options (um, NONE), I decided to run to Wegman’s in Ocean. Produce, various meats, and TP in stock (a brand from Canada, according to my cashier–9.99 for an 8-pack), and a bank line system where an employee tells you which register to go to. Once there, you wait for the cashier to give you the ok to load up the belt, then the okay to bag your own (if you bring bags) or to get them from behind her. At least I didn’t feel like people were on top of me (except for the cashier, who didn’t seem to really ‘distance’ herself). Within the store I did only a few maneuvers where morons weren’t spacing themselves out. Sad to say, but the worst offenders were older people, so I was trying my best to stay away from them.

@joonjoon I hope you’re right and people have calmed down. I suspect that most of us on HO could subsist on what’s regularly in our homes for 3x the average person… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Just saw this on my local next door board:

6 Likes

Went to Patel Brothers earlier for some ingredients for tonight’s Indian meal. Not virus-related, but always blown away by their prices. Three grocery bags stuffed and brimming for less than $30.

5 Likes

Website is kinda vague about amounts and prices.

https://cuttlerproduce.com/dairy/

I wonder what their minimum order is?

Oh my …

All my best wishes and lots of luck to get this straightened out.

1 Like

Cuttler Produce
Small or large amounts. No minimum. Cash or credit card.

5 Likes

You gotta love ethnic markets! One of the things I miss most about Asbury is Super Supermarket… 7 limes for a buck can’t be beat.

3 Likes

I may hit Super Super market up in a bit

1 Like

just got back form Foodtown RB- was pretty empty. prob a solid C for social distancing. Customers biggest violators. Most stuff in stock; water, tp, eggs limit one per person- I couldn’t buy distilled water too. (kinda silly).
pasta was in stock but only the 1.70 a box barilla; soups gone; tiny amount of canned goods; frozen veggies and apps wiped out. prob 30-40% of bread left. Rolls were shot.

1 Like

Texas Roadhouse in Old Bridge

5 Likes

I’ll have the 16 oz. ribeye rare/med rare, thank you.

was looking to put together an online order and the website is beyond useless. Frozen like a Pina colada. Better to call I guess.

2 Likes

I appreciate the effort but why would anyone buy a raw steak from Texas Roadhouse over going to a supermarket?