Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

This topic is most helpful. The last thing i wanted to do after work this week was go into a supermarket -I work in a hospital. So went this am to Stop and Shop and it was kind of depressing to see isles dessimated. Glad I don’t hoard and do my best to make do with what I have. Still found staples - bread, yogurt, cheese, produce was kind of limited this am at 9a. Especially veggies. Over 60 but have to commute during week so can’t get there at 6-7 am. Hoping things improve and they will have to put limits on everything I think

6 Likes

I was just there in the middletown location this afternoon- not case of water left. No ketchup. Meat counter completely empty. Pasta and pasta sauce- gone. I can’t tell if they got hit harder than last few days or if this is how the roll lately. Foodtown and Shoprite did not look like this during the week.

1 Like

While I only go to the Neptune location, I remain convinced that ShopRite has the stock and the staff above all others.

agree- they prob have the best relationships with vendors locally; esp the Saker ones.
Looks like TJs is limiting the store to 5 patrons at a time. Which, while 100% the correct thing to do, is ensuring I won’t head there for now.
I’m trying to. do calculus as to what’s better from risk perspective- Instacart or going myself…

1 Like

More to come but I’m dropping this right here. Get through corona or die tryin…

5 Likes

Was at Middletown Shop Rite on Thursday. Plenty of water. Meat was hit and miss. Pasta aisle looked like a bomb went off.

Don’t bother. The senior hours are even more crowded than the regular hours, which sort of defeats the purpose. If the store is open 12 hours a day, and 1 hour [8.5%] is reserved for seniors, but 20% of their customers are seniors, you can see how this would happen. 20% of the total population is 65 or older, so that’s actually a low estimate for the percentage of adults older than 60.

1 Like

Shoprite Middletown opens at 6 tomorrow morning. They do not have senior hours (I asked for my dad)

My husband did a run to ShopRite in Aberdeen yesterday. He said it was busy but he came back with everything on my list plus a couple of bonus items. He also went to Home Depot to get some part and said it was like most people there did not get the memo about what is happening. Lots of families casually shopping, kids running around, very casual.

Also, the PNC Art Center testing location will be opening soon (tomorrow, I think). I think we should be prepared for a lot of traffic and congestion in that area if site in Bergen is any indication.

1 Like

Middletown shop rite report from around closing time last night:

Shelves stocked up much better than expected.

Water and canned seltzer are gone unless you want schwepps 12 packs of flavored seltzer for 8.xx for 2.

No toilet paper

Sauce and pasta aisle is wrecked but there are still some things so scavenge, almost gone though.

Chicken cutlets seem to be the hot thing now and those are gone. My theory is that almost every stressed out mom is buying chicken as a generally easy meal to prepare and since most kids eat chicken, well there you have it…no chicken left.

Butter on sale for 3 a lb.

Under $5 for 30 pack or eggs. Limit 2

Besides the water, tp, and pasta aisle, this store is taking this in stride. No lines late last night.

Tons of beer in stock and it looks like an average day in that section.

They have ducks in stock. I might smoke a duck soon since I don’t seem to be too productive with house chores lately :laughing:

3 Likes

Just returned from super super market in AP, meat shelves still had items, boneless skinless chicken breasts, a few whole chickens, no ground beef but other meats were available.

Pasta shelves were hit pretty hard but they still had some left.

Canned goods were plentiful, especially Goya products.

Produce was well stocked, and if you need tortillas both corn and flour there are plenty as is husks for tamales.

I did not hit the paper product aisle as I had happened to buy a big pack at BJs the weekend before this all started but did see people leaving the store with individual rolls, but just 2 so there may be a limit.

So I got a few items and spices to make some tacos later this week as well as a big pot of chili to portion out and freeze

2 Likes

Made an appearance at Wegmans’s in Manalapan, much to my surprise got everything I needed & wanted.
Ok no Lysol or hand sanitizers but let’s not get crazy.
Meat, poultry, dairy even butter.
I went at 3 pm not overly crowded so I am good for at least a week.
I am not very aware of prices but girlfriend said canned tuna price was ridiculous $1.99 a can & toilet paper pack of 6 was marked up by $2.00.
I am sure I overlooked several things but all in all I was pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes

All in one sitting! The CJ breakfast challenge!!!

2 Likes

Dilisa/Diane,
Glad you found this information useful! Welcome to Hungry Onion! Nice to have you join us, mind if I ask how you found us?

1 Like

Looks like markets are returning to normal at least near Hazlet. I mean there can’t be a run forever, people are still consuming the same amount of stuff.

Costco was almost completely stocked yesterday night… as a matter of fact most of the prepared foods were fully stocked at near 8pm, it looked like how it should be looking during opening hours, not closing.

Same with Shoprite, they were still out of TP but other than that it was pretty normal looking. I’m glad this supermarket run nonsense is coming to an end.

3 Likes

Agreed. Just got home from the Hazlet Shop Rite after grocery shopping for grandma. Aside from toilet paper, everything was “normal”.

Even if, God forbid, there was a full lock down, people would still be able to grocery shop with modifications. Hopefully the alarmism is over, and I hope the governor holds fast on the “no returns of hoarded items” policy.

That being said, we are running low on TP in our house! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I know people need food, but going to a supermarket seems to fly in the face of everything Murphy is saying about staying home and avoiding crowds.

I forgot to add that at each register, there was a large piece of plexiglass fastened to the counter to create a partition between the cashier and customer. Commendable.

3 Likes

So did Stop and Shop Keyport.

1 Like

If you run out, I’ll leave you a few rolls (contactless of course!). Not to brag but my auto subscription order from Amazon actually arrived. :rofl:

2 Likes