Supermarket Pet Peeves

I got lucky that she happened to be parked next to me. My heart broke a little with the whole incident.

4 Likes

I think that’s why TJ’s periodically rearranges the non-cold stuff. You see things you didn’t see before.

4 Likes

Definitely eyes in the sky and also random sampling to scan an item and sometimes to rescan your whole cart.

Speaking to the issue of multiple locations for certain products: It doesn’t help to have a senior moment while looking for sriracha and not finding it with all the hot sauces. Didn’t remember, I got home, that it’s probably nj the Asian foods section. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Because - plot twist! - it’s a chili sauce. (Like there’s a chili sauce supermarket section, or something crazy like that.)

i realize that makes no sense. But it probable made sense to whoever decides the locations of supermarket products.

That has to be a very twisted mind!!

2 Likes

But I’m pretty sure in my supermarket it is in the hot sauces. Which makes it all even more confusing!

(And why is Cafe du Monde coffee found only in Asian grocery stores? And malted milk powder only in Indian groceries?)

3 Likes

In the international aisle in the culinary wasteland that is Annapolis MD.

For that matter, I’m pretty sure there’s a sriracha sauce (not Huy Fong) in the kosher section in my supermarket; I know I’ve seen one in the Passover displays.

3 Likes

It’s because almost all Vietnamese coffee are made with Cafe du Monde. I personally think the chicory flavor works much better when served ice cold and with a teeth-aching amount of condensed milk.

Here’s an interesting article about the ubiquitous orange can: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/chicory-vietnamese-coffee-cafe-du-monde

4 Likes

I once found Cafe du Monde sold in a small furniture store because the owner loved it. Turned into quite the conversation piece too.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the malted milk powder as it’s not something I have looked for. But if you have a World Market nearby it sells both Cafe du Monde coffee and the beignet mix. (Making beignets makes a big mess, but they are worth it.)

Added bonus . . .they sell chocolate jimmies from Germany that are actually made of German chocolate, not chemicals.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you haven’t seen malted milk powder in Asian grocery stores too, because Horlick’s, that favorite of former British colonies (and why you see it in Indian stores), is popular in Hong Kong.

Oh, I loved reading that! I’m not really a coffee drinker, but I’d try it with the sweetened condensed milk. It sounds really tasty! Now I’m going to see if my supermarket carries it!

I’ve got to admit I’ve been a bit skeptical of this thread since I really don’t have any “supermarket pet peeves” but since I am a sriracha lover that did peak my interest. I’ve never really paid any attention to where it’s located and at my age and weight any extra walking I do is truly a benefit, so roaming a super market isn’t something that bothers me.

Yesterday while I was in Shop Rite picking up things for dinner I decided to test this "myth” that sriracha was in fact not located in the most logical place, in the hot sauce isle. So off I went do my journey down the salad dressing, condiment and oil & vinegar isle in the spirit of Adam Savage & Jamie Hynemen to see if I could confirm or bust this myth.

The verdict is…
confirmed

(Disclosure – I’m not actually a Mythbuster but I do have my own test dummy, instead of naming him Buster like the show I just call mine @seal)

7 Likes

Wrong thread.

Went back today and the Sriracha was, indeed, in the Asian food section. Fool me once…

3 Likes

I enjoy the art of retail therapy be it our Central Markets, supermarkets, farmers markets, fashion boutiques and even during the holiday season …

A hobby of mine !!

And I always go early in the mornings … and sometimes during Spanish Lunch hours, when everyone is out having lunch, the shops are relatively not crowded …

5 Likes

I’m sure this has been mentioned but I’m going there anyway. It doesn’t happen often, but the shopper that stands there like a cow while their purchases are rung up, then proceeds to take a checkbook out and start to write a check. If you have it ready except for the amount, that’s fine, and I don’t care if you prefer to sign it then and there for security’s sake. Just have it written except for the amount and signature before you’re right freaking there. Same goes for coupons only more so.
If you run into a friend in an aisle, please pull your cart over to the side to chat, and be aware that somebody might want something that you’re standing in front of.

1 Like

I always figured that if I started bagging my own groceries I’d be thought to be trying to slip something unpaid for into the bag. Now I have to rethink. We still have baggers here.

1 Like