Supermarket Pet Peeves

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for!!!

2 Likes

It’s healthy to be real. And if memory serves, you are always kind in your expression of same. Thank goodness that HO gives us a place to be heard.

4 Likes

Shoprite in NJ is recycling bags (at least the one in Aberdeen).

Giant Food in Maryland is recycling bags again.

2 Likes

That’s my parents’ supermarket–maybe I should ship my bag collection to them! :smile:

2 Likes

Or after work when you skipped lunch

I wish to heck that the TJ’s here had spirits other than beer and wine…

And to re-iterate: I hate the practice of putting similar items in totally different places (e.g. organic fruit juice vs. regular fruit juice–or “inorganic fruit juice” as we call it in our house). The latest: refried beans are in Mexican food (aisle 9), canned kidney beans et al are in canned vegetables (aisle 10), and baked beans are in canned meats et al (aisle 11) (along with macaroni and cheese, while the macaroni and grated Parmesan cheese are both in aisle 10).

6 Likes

My grocery store has three different locations for canned tomatoes: the canned area, the fancy area, and the kosher area.

3 Likes

I fully agree with you. I’m a little worried that you know the aisle numbers so well. Perhaps you should sit over here in the corner and I’ll get you a cup of tea. You could sit here and fold laundry for me. grin

2 Likes

I only know the aisle numbers because 1) I have my shopping list ordered to match the store to minimize my time in the store, to which end 2) I have a copy of the store’s directory scanned into my phone.

I realize this may still worry you. :grinning:

8 Likes

Well my store is in the process of reorganizing, so nothing is where it used to be. And it’s taking a long time so shopping there is total chaos.

That’s brilliant. What worries me is that I’m going to do the same thing.

A couple of years ago I asked at customer service where I could find something. I don’t remember what. The store manager was at lunch and we had a store full of new people. They called another local store in the chain to ask where to find the item. Spot on. grin

At least my local grocery chain reorganizes all together. Frustrating. Of course I find it frustrating when a manufacturer changes the label design and then I can’t “find” it. The difference between boy looking and girl looking.

Our Stop & Shop reorganized their store last year and mostly for the best. They integrated their organic products in with other same kind canned, jarred and boxed foods. I have enjoyed finding new to me stuff. It does take awhile to learn your way around a newly organized store, and I sincerely hope they leave things as they are since our goal in these times is getting in and out ASAP. I also organize my grocery lists by store layout - have always done this. My husband finally appreciates that habit!

My experience is that each store in a chain has a different layout. That is true of Shoprite (3 near me), Aldi (3), Walmart (2), and Costco (2). This does not make things easier.

1 Like

I hope that’s what mine is doing!

You go to my mother’s supermarket AND you organize like her. Hmm…

3 Likes

Understood. The four Giant Food stores near me are all the same size and layout.

I’m sure you all play check stand sweepstakes. Looking for the fastest line . Factors include , chatty checkers , the fumble digging for the check book , counting change , to many single items , etc. I want to get out of there quicker than ever now .

1 Like

Also my mother’s supermarket (dating back to the late 1960s!) and organization. Are you a long-lost sister? :slight_smile:

(The organizing comes from shopping at the base commissary: 4 one-way aisles which you snaked through, joining the single-queue check-out line when you got to the end of it, and doing the rest of your shopping as the line moved forward. So having your list in order was important. When you got to the front you were directed to the next free cashier. The single-queue, multi-server model really is the most efficient.)