[Sunnyvale] Abhiruchi

NAfter the pleasant thali last month at Annachikadai, I had the opposite and unfortunate experience of eating thali a couple of miles down ECR at Abhiruchi.

A few of the components of the thali tasted of a common flavor- the nauseating taste of rancid oil. That taste was in the paratha, daal, eggplant, and I think one or two other items. I tried to think whether its my unfamiliarity with Andhra spicing that caused my reaction. But I can’t recall any other thali/ Andhra meal I’ve had with that kind of taste. And the plain paratha is supposed to have no spices besides flour and oil.

I don’t understand how a restaurant, with frequent turnover of raw ingredients, can have stale oil unless they are shopping from the bottom of the barrel. Should have taken the sparse dining room as a warning sign and just grab some chaat nextdoor.

Some of the items from the thali like sambar, yogurt, sweet needed to be requested. ‘Today’s special rice’, papad some other items never made an appearance. That may not be a bad thing.

Avoid Abhiruchi.

Ha! Tripadvisor 4.2 and Yelp 4.

Are they making their own food, or they buy expired frozen stuff made somewhere else.

I don’t know. What I can say that, I found the flavors of most Indian meals, even the average ones, not objectionable. I can’t say so about this meal.